Examples for the new configuration of users and groups with ther respective permissions

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Diatherm
500 Command not understood
First name: Semin
Last name: Suljkanovic

Examples for the new configuration of users and groups with ther respective permissions

#1 Post by Diatherm » 2023-11-13 12:58

Hi there,

I am really struggling with the setup of my filezilla-server. I am trying to do everything through the CLI by editing the settings.xml, groups.xml and users.xml

Previously my server was running on an AWS EC2 Windows instance, and now I am trying it out on Debian. I have no possibility to access the GUI so would really appreciate it if anyone could provide me with examples of how to setup users, groups and their permissions OR docs where each option is described.

Example:

Groups and users defined in same file (Filezilla Server.xml)

<Groups>
<Group Name="read">
<Option Name="Bypass server userlimit">0</Option>
<Option Name="User Limit">0</Option>
<Option Name="IP Limit">0</Option>
<Option Name="Enabled">1</Option>
<Option Name="Comments"></Option>
<Option Name="ForceSsl">1</Option>
<IpFilter>
<Disallowed />
<Allowed />
</IpFilter>
<Permissions>
<Permission Dir="--dir--">
<Option Name="FileRead">1</Option>
<Option Name="FileWrite">0</Option>
<Option Name="FileDelete">0</Option>
<Option Name="FileAppend">1</Option>
<Option Name="DirCreate">0</Option>
<Option Name="DirDelete">0</Option>
<Option Name="DirList">1</Option>
<Option Name="DirSubdirs">1</Option>
<Option Name="IsHome">1</Option>
<Option Name="AutoCreate">0</Option>
</Permission>
</Permissions>
<SpeedLimits DlType="1" DlLimit="10" ServerDlLimitBypass="0" UlType="1" UlLimit="10" ServerUlLimitBypass="0">
<Download />
<Upload />
</SpeedLimits>
</Group>
</Groups>

<User Name="someName">
<Option Name="Pass">--pass--</Option>
<Option Name="Salt">--salt--</Option>
<Option Name="Group">read</Option>
<Option Name="Bypass server userlimit">0</Option>
<Option Name="User Limit">0</Option>
<Option Name="IP Limit">0</Option>
<Option Name="Enabled">1</Option>
<Option Name="Comments"></Option>
<Option Name="ForceSsl">1</Option>
<IpFilter>
<Disallowed />
<Allowed />
</IpFilter>
<Permissions>
<Permission Dir="--dir--">
<Option Name="FileRead">1</Option>
<Option Name="FileWrite">0</Option>
<Option Name="FileDelete">0</Option>
<Option Name="FileAppend">0</Option>
<Option Name="DirCreate">0</Option>
<Option Name="DirDelete">0</Option>
<Option Name="DirList">1</Option>
<Option Name="DirSubdirs">1</Option>
<Option Name="IsHome">1</Option>
<Option Name="AutoCreate">0</Option>
</Permission>
</Permissions>
<SpeedLimits DlType="0" DlLimit="10" ServerDlLimitBypass="2" UlType="0" UlLimit="10" ServerUlLimitBypass="2">
<Download />
<Upload />
</SpeedLimits>
</User>

Current user in users.xml

<user name="test" enabled="true">
<mount_point tvfs_path="/" native_path="--path--" access="1" recursive="2" flags="0" />
<rate_limits inbound="unlimited" outbound="unlimited" session_inbound="unlimited" session_outbound="unlimited" />
<allowed_ips></allowed_ips>
<disallowed_ips></disallowed_ips>
<description></description>
<password index="1">
<hash>--pass--</hash>
<salt>--salt--</salt>
<iterations>100000</iterations>
</password>
<methods>1</methods>
</user>

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

Re: Examples for the new configuration of users and groups with ther respective permissions

#2 Post by oibaf » 2023-11-13 15:03

Diatherm wrote:
2023-11-13 12:58
I have no possibility to access the GUI
For the record: the GUI can run on any other computer you have access to, as long as you have remote access to the administration port the FileZilla Server is listening on. If you are connecting through SSH, an SSH tunnel would work too.
Groups and users defined in same file (Filezilla Server.xml)
You can always use the program filezilla-server-configconverter to convert the old config into the new one. Have you tried that?

Fabio

Diatherm
500 Command not understood
First name: Semin
Last name: Suljkanovic

Re: Examples for the new configuration of users and groups with ther respective permissions

#3 Post by Diatherm » 2023-11-15 08:16

Thank you for the response!

The linux EC2 instances are not providing RDP connection, like the winodows one does. Or I don't know how to do it.

I did not try filezilla-server-config-converter, will definitely take a look as it would help me migrate the data from one to the other. So it would convert the passwords and salts also to the new format?

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

#4 Post by oibaf » 2023-11-15 12:22

Diatherm wrote:
2023-11-15 08:16
Thank you for the response!

The linux EC2 instances are not providing RDP connection, like the winodows one does. Or I don't know how to do it.
You don't need an RDP connection, the GUI can run on your personal computer/laptop (just install the proper package and only select the GUI) and connect to the FileZilla Server instance, just on a different port than the ones being used by the FTP protocol, which by default is 14148. The FileZilla Server will be listening on this port on all network interfaces as long as you input an administration password when configuring the filezilla-server package at installation time.
Schermata del 2023-11-15 13-21-03.png
Schermata del 2023-11-15 13-21-03.png (32.9 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
If for any reason port 14148 is blocked on the EC2 instance, or if you didn't set an administration password, but you can connect via SSH, then you can use SSH to forward the server's 14148 port onto your computer to the local port you want, and connect your local GUI to that local port.
I did not try filezilla-server-config-converter, will definitely take a look as it would help me migrate the data from one to the other. So it would convert the passwords and salts also to the new format?
It will keep the old password and salt, but the server will convert them to the new, more secure format, the moment a user logs in with those credentials.