Help: Filezilla for internal use only

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Bez
500 Command not understood

Help: Filezilla for internal use only

#1 Post by Bez » 2008-02-15 21:08

Hi. I need to set up filezilla to transfer files between two pcs on my home wireless network.

I have server version set up on Desktop (192.168.1.2) and client verson on (192.168.1.5)
I am able to connect but when i go to ftp://192.168.1.2/ in my browser or client i get no files listed. There are 2 in the folder i am sharing.

What do i need to do to get the files to show?? Any settings to be made to the folder in windows? Ports to be forwarded?

admin interface listens on port 15251 and i have this forwarded in router as well as software firewall.

I do not need ftp for external use. only to transfer files between my own pcs at home.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Help: Filezilla for internal use only

#2 Post by botg » 2008-02-15 21:12

Please read the Network Configuration guide.

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2008-02-15 21:39

For internal usage only you don't need to forward any ports. Firewalls present on the PCs must be configured correctly, though.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Bez

#4 Post by Bez » 2008-02-15 22:17

that's what i thought. i don't need the external ip either do i?

The thing is i am able to login to the server and even upload to it. But once the upload finishes the client does not show any files there.
I know that the file transfer coz it's right there on the server. what gives?

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2008-02-16 00:16

Internal network, internal IP. Simple as that. Forget external. :wink:

For the other problem, post some logs (DebugLv 3, Raw listing enabled) while reproducing the problem.

Bez

#6 Post by Bez » 2008-02-16 16:52

Ok finally got it to work.
I changed to a port over 50000(instead of the default 21) and also did the IP binding thing.
Don't know which of the two did the trick coz i'm not sure what IP binding is exactly.

Thanks for your help boco!

Shades

#7 Post by Shades » 2008-02-28 12:02

BOTG: Please read the Network Configuration guide.

This is a really lame answer for someone that is supposed to be an administrator. The largest portion of users of your product free or not are computer newbies or limited computer experience. Most have a hard time making heads or tails of the configuration guide. If they do manage to follow it and the software still doesn't work you will just tell them that their configuration is wrong and to re-read the configuration guide.

A true administrator would try to do more than tell people to read a guide.

8)

botg
Site Admin

#8 Post by botg » 2008-02-28 14:10

The Network Configuration guide contains all the information. It is the refined essence of my knowledge. Not my problem if some users fail to understand it.

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2008-02-28 20:31

Shades wrote:BOTG: Please read the Network Configuration guide.

This is a really lame answer for someone that is supposed to be an administrator. The largest portion of users of your product free or not are computer newbies or limited computer experience. Most have a hard time making heads or tails of the configuration guide. If they do manage to follow it and the software still doesn't work you will just tell them that their configuration is wrong and to re-read the configuration guide.

A true administrator would try to do more than tell people to read a guide.

8)
Why do people write books and articles? Right, because they have neither the will nor the time to repeat explaining the same matter over and over. Even if 50% of people read and solve their problems through the guide, we have 50% less redundant posts here (hopefully).

scott1x
504 Command not implemented
First name: Scott

#10 Post by scott1x » 2008-03-05 04:53

botg wrote:The Network Configuration guide contains all the information. It is the refined essence of my knowledge. Not my problem if some users fail to understand it.
It may not be YOUR problem, but it is a problem for the filezilla project and those who would like to use it but can't because of poor documentation and support. If filezilla succeeds, and it may, it's a decent product, it will succeed in spite of such worthless replies, not because of them

I'm quite sure most of those posting requests for help HAVE read the net work guide.. big whoopee! It is very obvious that it leaves a lot to be desired as there are still a LOT of questions being asked. Fortunately, there are helpful users on this forum and they provide answers that actually mean something.

botg
Site Admin

#11 Post by botg » 2008-03-05 07:51

It may not be YOUR problem, but it is a problem for the filezilla project and those who would like to use it but can't because of poor documentation and support
Feel free to contribute in the Wiki to improve the documentation.