Migrate from FZ server 1.1.0 to latest on new server

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

aait
500 Command not understood
First name: George
Last name: Anderson

Migrate from FZ server 1.1.0 to latest on new server

#1 Post by aait » 2024-01-18 19:38

I can't find any guides that work for my version situation.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to migrate my config from a server running 1.1.0 to 1.7.2 or 1.8.x?

I have the xmls from the existing config but when I try to import it doesn't recognize them as the single file export that its looking for. I don't see a way to do that export on the existing server.

Thanks

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

Re: Migrate from FZ server 1.1.0 to latest on new server

#2 Post by oibaf » 2024-01-18 20:27

The old config should just be taken up by the latest version without any need to export it and re-import it back. Just, for safety, back it up before doing the upgrade.

aait

#3 Post by aait » 2024-01-25 22:21

Thanks @oibaf but I'm not doing an in place upgrade. I'm trying to move it to a different server. I need to do some testing on the new server before cutting over. Is there any way to migrate the config as is from one server to a new one?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2024-01-26 09:15

Most reliable way would be to update the old server in-place, then export the config and later import it on a new machine.

aait

#5 Post by aait » 2024-01-26 15:36

That method isn't going to work though. I have been able to migrate my settings from the old server to the new server using a backup of the contents of C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\filezilla-server
After moving those to the new server I installed v1.1.0 checked and all of my settings are in place. It also copied the settings.xml to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local
However, if I install 1.8.0 overtop of it the configuration does not migrate, it just gives me a blank installation.

I think I need one of the following:

1) A previous installer version >1.1.0 <1.8.0 that has the relevant code to handle the config migration. I think 1.5.0 might work based on the version history, but I might have to go back as far as 1.2.0.
2) A equivalent tool to be able to do the migration manually

I tried editing the download link for 1.8.1 that is available now but it doesn't return a file. Is there an archive of previous installers I can use?

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2024-01-26 16:12

That method isn't going to work though.
Why not?
I have been able to migrate my settings from the old server to the new server using a backup of the contents of C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\filezilla-server
After moving those to the new server I installed v1.1.0 checked and all of my settings are in place. It also copied the settings.xml to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local
However, if I install 1.8.0 overtop of it the configuration does not migrate, it just gives me a blank installation.
Note that downgrading is not a supported use-case and might be the reason for all your troubles. Did you at any time install a version newer than 1.4.1 prior to copying over the settings to the new machine? If so, the old settings won't be picked up as newer versions use a different settings location. If both exist, the old ones will be ignored. You need to fully uninstall FileZilla Server, delete both C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\filezilla-server and C:\ProgramData\filezilla-server and only afterwards restore the settings and then start over.

aait

#7 Post by aait » 2024-01-26 17:38

Thanks @botg you nailed my problem with the second comment. In reading through the other migration stories I found the issues/support related to downgrading. I had used a newer installation before uninstalling and installing 1.1.0. So I started over with a fresh OS install, that got me on the right path. Here's where I'm at now.

I copied over the contents of
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\filezilla-server
After moving those to the new server I installed v1.1.0 checked and all of my settings are in place.
I then ran the 1.8.0 installer it detected the existing config and asked if I wanted to back it up. I said yes and the installation failed.
fzs-inst err.png
fzs-inst err.png (68.38 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
So I ran it again and said no to the backup (because I already have one) and boom it worked.
Just going through my config in detail to ensure everything got ported over ok. Lots of new features to configure here.

I'm wondering if I should export this new config and make another fresh server to import to so that I remove any chance of bugs from my migration method.

Thanks for your help! Any other suggestions are welcome.

botg
Site Admin

#8 Post by botg » 2024-01-26 21:42

I then ran the 1.8.0 installer it detected the existing config and asked if I wanted to back it up. I said yes and the installation failed.
That definitely should not have happened. Will be addressed in a future version.