DELE command returns success when file does not exist

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

VailComputerGuy
500 Command not understood
First name: Brandon
Last name: Dodds

DELE command returns success when file does not exist

#1 Post by VailComputerGuy » 2024-02-19 21:13

I have a backup application that allows me to provide an FTP server for the target (where the backup file is saved). I have FileZilla Server set up on a computer to accept these backups. Connection and login to FileZilla server is successful and works properly.

When the backup software runs it sends a DELE command to the FTP server so it can delete the files created by the same backup software during a previous backup. FileZilla server returns "250 File deleted successfully" even if the file does not exist. Since the backup application is expecting a "550 File not found" instead, it never continues to the next step.

This backup application splits the backups into pieces that have incremented filenames (like backup_0001.bak, backup_0002.bak, backup_0003.bak. etc.) so when it goes to delete the files before a backup, it starts by attempting to delete the previous files starting at the lowest number. It expects to be able to delete the files until it gets a File Not Found error, when it then starts the backup. If it never gets a File Not Found error, it will never start the backup.

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

Re: DELE command returns success when file does not exist

#2 Post by oibaf » 2024-02-20 10:32

Thanks for reaching out about this.

The fix will be provided in the next release, and in the next nightly build already.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2024-02-20 17:00

Why would the backup software try to delete a file and expect it not to exist? That sounds very broken.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2024-02-21 00:15

My guess is that it doesn't know how many parts the previous backup series has, so, it just tries to delete one part after another until it hits a "not found" error, meaning the whole series has been deleted.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org