"Virtual Paths must be Unique" error

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

PeligrosoDave
500 Command not understood
First name: D
Last name: Parks

"Virtual Paths must be Unique" error

#1 Post by PeligrosoDave » 2024-03-02 01:17

I have two users set up and each have unique Native Paths assigned.

If I set the Virtual Path on both accounts to "/" I receive the error message "Virtual paths must be unique". Could someone please advise why this is the case? I would expect that when either user logs in, the "/" virtual path would simply take them to their root which would be their unique Native Path sub-directories. (BTW, if I set one Virtual Path to "/" and the other to "/A" the configuration window accepts it...)

Thanks!

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

Re: "Virtual Paths must be Unique" error

#2 Post by oibaf » 2024-03-02 09:38

That's an error that pops up in the Administration Interface solely when there are multiple virtual paths that are the same, for each specific user. Each user knows nothing about the other one.

Bar some weird bugs which I couldn't reproduce, can you confirm you really only have one "/" for each user as a virtual path? If you do, can you please share more details?

Ideally, a video like this to show the issue would be best: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eHHGhA ... sp=sharing

PeligrosoDave
500 Command not understood
First name: D
Last name: Parks

#3 Post by PeligrosoDave » 2024-03-05 03:39

Oibaf,
While making the vid I realized that I had two Virtual Path / Native Path "Mount Point" entries for the 2nd account. I had thought the top one was for User 1 and the 2nd entry was for User 2. I deleted one and now it is working!

Attached screen capture shows where I had a 2nd "Mount Point" listed. Not sure why FZ allows for multiple mount points to be entered...maybe if a user wanted to send incoming FTP data to two different destinations??? However, it still would not allow since it won't accept the "/" for the virtual path as I found out accidentally...

Thanks for your assistance... I think I am moving ahead again!
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-04 193125.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-04 193125.jpg (40.6 KiB) Viewed 671 times

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2024-03-05 08:42

The / is just the user's Home (virtual root directory). You can define further Mount Points and attach resources from completely different places, building a virtual directory tree. You just must not name any two Mount Points the same.

Example:

Code: Select all

/ → C:\ftproot
/otherdir → F:\foo
Here the contents of "F:\foo" will appear as a subdirectory "/otherdir" in the account's Home.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org