Using FTP Server over SSL/TLS

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

raimanish4u
500 Command not understood
First name: Manish
Last name: Roy

Using FTP Server over SSL/TLS

#1 Post by raimanish4u » 2008-08-07 13:23

Hello Frnds,

I want to use Filezilla Server (FileZilla_Server-0_9_26) for normal FTP (via Browser) and FTP over SSL/TLS.

My problem is In Server Side Setting :

In File Zilla Server Option --> SSL/TLS Settings : I got option for generating "certificate.crt" file but I am not finding any option for generating private key file.
In the SSL/TLS Settings we have to give path for " Certificate file: And "Private key File" and also need to give password for key which is unknown for me.

Can U plz tell me what is the process for generating the key and what will be the key password for it.

I have tried to give "certficate.crt" file path to both the field in "private key file & Certificate file and left blank password field and tried to connect.Fortunately I am able to connect but this is not the right way to solve the prob.

Because Whwn I am using FTP adapter of IBM WPS I am getting error like :
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: com.ibm.jsse2.util.h: No trusted certificate found
at com.ibm.jsse2.n.a(n.java:37)
at com.ibm.jsse2.jc.a(jc.java:388)
at com.ibm.jsse2.db.a(db.java:390)
at com.ibm.jsse2.db.a(db.java:161)
at com.ibm.jsse2.eb.a(eb.java:20)
at com.ibm.jsse2.eb.a(eb.java:152)
at com.ibm.jsse2.db.m(db.java:303)

Plz help me out from this problem.

Thanks in advance

Manish kumar

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Using FTP Server over SSL/TLS

#2 Post by botg » 2008-08-07 15:39

Tell your client to trust your certificate.

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2008-08-07 23:10

Of course self-signed certificates are not trusted. To get a trusted certificate you have to obtain one from a known certification agency like Verisign.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

raimanish4u
500 Command not understood
First name: Manish
Last name: Roy

#4 Post by raimanish4u » 2008-08-08 05:24

Thanks for quick reply.
As U said, for trusting the certificate I need SSL communication, the server sends its certificate to the client for verification. The client verifies the certificate to confirm that it is communicating with the intended server. To enable this verification process, the server's certificate must be present in the client's trust store. You can import the server's certificate into the client's trust store using the keytool utility. For example, enter the command

keytool -import -v -alias serverCert -file server.cert -keystore clientTrustStore
or
keytool -import -v -alias serverCert -file certificate.crt -keystore dsig-receiver.ks

but when I am trying this, I am getting error :
D:\certificate2>keytool -import -v -alias serverCert -file certificate.crt -keys
tore clientTrustStore
Enter keystore password: password
keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Input not an X.509 certificate

Also when I am trying another way to import the generated certificate from IBM WPS
C:\Program Files\IBM\WID61\pf\wps\config\cells\widCell\nodes\widNode\trust

It gives error : File type is not recognizable.

Can we use File Zilla FTP server In IBM WPS(WID) for FTPS transfer? if yes, How?

regards,
manish Kumar.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2008-08-08 10:18

The certificate generated by fileZilla is PEM encoded. Use your certificate management tool to convert it into whatever native format it expects.

whale
500 Syntax error
First name: Franklin
Last name: Tse

#6 Post by whale » 2008-08-09 03:22

I think the format should be specified in FileZilla Server settings. I experienced a similar problem before as I didn't know which cert format should be used.