Can't open data connection!

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Widunder
500 Command not understood
First name: Markus
Last name: Hammarstedt

Can't open data connection!

#1 Post by Widunder » 2008-08-11 22:35

Greetings all!

I have read all the guides on the wiki and I have searched these forums as well as some other googled random forums about FTP-servers. But I still can't find any answers to my problem:
When someone tries to connect to my FTP-server they get the error "Can't open data connection, failed to load directory listing". Locally it always works though.
I have a D-Link router, with the ports 5000-5100 open which is the range I have put in for the passive settings in the server. I also have tried to have a couple of those ports (5001 - 5004) directed to my local IP through the router. I have tried with using active mode when connecting to the server. I have tried using static IP. Nothing works.
The weird thing is, that sometimes when I restart my computer, it works anyway! But after a while it doesn't and I have no clue why. Everytime it works it's in passive mode.
I can bet money on that it works if I remove my router, based on other problems people have had. But I really need my router since I have several units in my home that I want hooked up in the network and to the internet. But it seems like there should be a more simple solution to it.

Can anyone tell me wtf to do? =P.
Sry if my explanation is unclear. Just ask me if you need to know something more to solve my problem.

boco
Contributor

Re: Can't open data connection!

#2 Post by boco » 2008-08-12 02:59

You need to port-forward the entire Passive port range to your local IP (additionally to port 21). If you port forward only some of them, it will only work sometimes.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

seno
500 Syntax error

#3 Post by seno » 2008-08-12 08:03

pls post LOG from FileZilla here :roll:

this error message is 1000000000000x on this forum in all threads :wink: and this error msg have too many reasons

have you set your router correctly ? how model D-Link ??? I have home-router D-Link DIR 615, it's fine working for me (with FileZilla)... in web settings of router, in VirtualServer entry (logically) I have set PORT 21, set TCP protocol, set IP for my computer in LAN (look for your internal IP from DHCP ? manual TCP/IP settings in your PC ??? check it for correct IP in router settings)

I have same problem (425 Can't open data connection) only for passive connections to my FileZilla server...

Widunder

#4 Post by Widunder » 2008-08-12 11:50

boco wrote:You need to port-forward the entire Passive port range to your local IP (additionally to port 21). If you port forward only some of them, it will only work sometimes.
Okay, thank you. I will try this!
seno wrote:have you set your router correctly ? how model D-Link ??? I have home-router D-Link DIR 615, it's fine working for me (with FileZilla)... in web settings of router, in VirtualServer entry (logically) I have set PORT 21, set TCP protocol, set IP for my computer in LAN (look for your internal IP from DHCP ? manual TCP/IP settings in your PC ??? check it for correct IP in router settings)
The model is a DGL-4100. Link to info
Yes, I have configured my router correctly. But I have not tried using port 21, if that makes any difference. I will try this when I get home from work =). Thank you for the tip!

The log:

Code: Select all

Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:	220-FileZilla Server version 0.9.27 beta
Response:	220-written by Tim Kosse (Tim.Kosse@gmx.de)
Response:	220 Please visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
Command:	USER Widunder
Response:	331 Password required for widunder
Command:	PASS ********
Response:	230 Logged on
Command:	SYST
Response:	215 UNIX emulated by FileZilla
Command:	FEAT
Response:	211-Features:
Response:	 MDTM
Response:	 REST STREAM
Response:	 SIZE
Response:	 MLST type*;size*;modify*;
Response:	 MLSD
Response:	 UTF8
Response:	 CLNT
Response:	 MFMT
Response:	211 End
Command:	PWD
Response:	257 "/" is current directory.
Command:	TYPE I
Response:	200 Type set to I
Command:	PASV
Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode (83,227,73,151,19,144)
Command:	LIST
Response:	425 Can't open data connection.
Error:	Failed to retrieve directory listing

seno
500 Syntax error

#5 Post by seno » 2008-08-12 14:04

hm... I found configurations for MY ROUTER and for YOUR ROUTER...

it's interesting in GAMING settings... I am not using IP-forwarding in my router settings ("GAMING" entry in DGL4100 settings) but Virtual Server settings by this screenshot...

If you want be using PASV mode then you must :
1. add router's IP to FileZilla settings (see manual or check forum)
2. add port range to FileZilla settings and allow this port range in Windows Firewall (or other personal fw) and in router configuration too
- for example 50000-50100 (see manual or check forum)
3. add "anonymous" account to FileZilla settings (for better solving problems)

/// EDIT: 12.8.2008 later...
...ok, I have configured my router (DIR-615) by this screenshot now
...not in VIRTUAL SERVER entry, but in PORT FORWARDING (GAMING) for ports "21,50000-50100" (TCP and UDP too)

enjoy it ;-)

Widunder

#6 Post by Widunder » 2008-08-12 16:57

Thank you so much for the help! It works now! :mrgreen: