Connection to Server Closed

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Triodz
500 Command not understood

Connection to Server Closed

#1 Post by Triodz » 2008-09-30 12:35

Hi there,
Brand new at setting up an FTP Server, so please bare with my questions if they seem obvious.

What I have done:
Set up a domain name with DynDNS and pointed it to my IP
Installed the DynDNS updater
Port forwarded the correct port and used uTorrent's port test facility to verify
Allowed FTP from my router (D-Link; DSL-G604T)
Installed Filezilla server with 127.0.0.1 as Server address and no administration password
Added Filezilla as an exception to Windows Firewall (using basic stuff till this is up and running)

What I can't do:
When I run the FileZilla Server Interface I get this message over and over again-
"Connecting to server...
Connected, waiting for authentication
Connection to server closed
Trying to connect in 5 seconds"

I have never been able to connect, this happened immediately. When I drop down the edit menu, everything is ghosted out. I am using windows XP Pro SP3

I am now at my wits end! Have I missed a step in the process? Every guide I find tells me to do exactly what I have done. It's driving me bonkers!

Any help is greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with a lifetime of golden, toasty karma that will make you feel warm and comfy inside! :D

Triodz

Re: Connection to Server Closed

#2 Post by Triodz » 2008-10-01 10:59

Bump?

No-one? Really?

Maybe I should just go make some honey covered crumpets instead...

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2008-10-01 11:39

Check you're using the correct port, 14147 by default.

da chicken
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by da chicken » 2008-10-01 15:29

Triodz wrote:Added Filezilla as an exception to Windows Firewall (using basic stuff till this is up and running)
I assume this means you added an exception for FileZilla Server.exe. Did you also add one for FileZilla Server Interface.exe?

Also, try disabling the Windows firewall and try again.

Triodz

#5 Post by Triodz » 2008-10-03 09:50

Sorry guys. Thanks for getting back to me, but I'm afraid the special wall i have for banging my head has gotten a little more use.

Made 14147 the default port - definitely open.
Turned off firewall altogether and still get same message.

Anything else you may have is still very much appreciated and openly accepted!

Still trawling the rest of the net, too.

Thanks again.

fzil2017
First name: Some
Last name: FTPAdmin

#6 Post by fzil2017 » 2017-06-19 11:53

Ok, guys, guys... guys.
On the Filezilla Server, after you've added your firewall rules.
Open the Filezilla Server app and log in, because it works from the server, right.
Then to Edit > Settings...
Then go to Admin Interface settings
And... be sure to add a record under both fields:
1. Bind the admin interface to the following IP addresses :: I put * for all interface - it's blank by default, meaning only 127.0.0.1 can connect.
2. IP addresses which are allowed to connect to the admin interface :: I put our local network in CIDR format, 192.168.0.0/24

Guys, ok, guys - it's step 2 that I missed, and it was google searches that landed on unresolved posts like this one that caused me the most pain. I mean, if Triodz never fixed it and he's been searching for an answer since 2008, what chance do I have of finding the answer? I mean... you know what I mean.

I literally googled: filezilla server Connection to Server closed - that's the application + the error message, and this page, this forum post was my top result. This 9 year old post, top of the charts. In 9 years nobody else saw this post and thought "I'll sign up for an account and post the answer!". Ok, ok, not gonna preach any more, this is it guys.
Ok, this is my good deed for today, and probably the first one I've done all year. Instead of helping an old lady across the road, or telling a blind man his white shirt got washed with the colors and is now pink, this is my contribution to society. We use this free product, so I ain't complaining, I love this server. I'm gonna do my bit and let the community know - don't leave that second field blank.

Don't think I'm a saint here. I'm not going to the trouble of submitting a bug report or checking the functionality in the latest version and submitting a feature request, cuz that feels like too much work right now. But the crux of the feature request, if I wrote it up, would be something like: If field 1 is populated and field 2 is blank, show a tip that users are going to have a hard time connecting if they don't add something to field 2 (allowed IPs)
And that bug report? Yeah, I'd have one accompanying this. Because the connection was allowed - Field 2 specifies IPs allowed to connect, but I could "connect" from any IP - and that was a point of frustration - connections were happening, I could see the results of a netstat -n on the server showing the TIME_WAIT connections on port 14147, so I knew the packets were getting through - it's just they were immediately shut down.

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2017-06-19 22:56

Leaving the "IPs allowed to connect" field blank means that only localhost is able to interconnect. But, localhost (and 127.0.0.1, and ::1) is always able to do that. AFAIK, localhost cannot be blocked at all, otherwise you could lock yourself out.

@botg: Currently, the descriptions on that admin page only talk about 127.0.0.1. You might want adding the ::1 IPv6 address, as well.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org