Filezilla server limits speed without me telling it to.

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Thasp
504 Command not implemented

Filezilla server limits speed without me telling it to.

#1 Post by Thasp » 2005-03-28 17:31

I have it set not to limit speed.

Sometimes, it'll upload to people at my full 88 KBps, and DUmeter will agree. Yet a lot of the time it'll range from 49-69 KBps, and DUmeter will reflect this.

To make sure it was filezilla and not my connection, I'll turn filezilla off quickly and open bulletproof FTP which has the same user account and directory settings as filezilla and the person's FTP client will resume download, and it'll be going at 88 KBps.

Also, someone I know on their 100 mbit home network was only getting about 60 mbit.

This has happened before and after a certain reformat and I know it's filezilla: what can I do to stop this? I can't afford to chop 20-30 KBps off my upstream when transferring big files.

Thanks.

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

#2 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-03-28 18:04

Assuming that you have 768kbps available in upload, are you 100% sure that nothing else on your local subnet was using some part of your allocated bandwidth at that moment in time? Were you DLing something at the same time? Assuming that you have DSL- or Cable- based HSI access, this is to be expected when you fully saturate either your upstream or downstream (or especially both). Try limiting your UL to ~85% of your total real world capacity (do a few speed tests like this or this) -- if your real world UL is 652kbps, limit FileZilla Server's UL to ~69KB/s ( 652 * 0.85 / 8 ). 60mbps sounds about normal for a home network -- unless they are using high quality NICs running at full duplex and are connected to a high quality switch.

Thasp
504 Command not implemented

#3 Post by Thasp » 2005-03-28 20:02

Yes, I'm sure, since I changed to BPFTP to test less than 20 seconds after having someone try the same file with filezilla. They were both set with no limits, and I tried back and forth a few times. I can DCC at a max of 88 KBps, I can FTP at a max of 88 KBps, I can upload on a P2P net at a max of 88 KBps, but with filezilla DUmeter awlays shows about 68 KBps.

I know to limit my upstream to 85% of my max if I don't want it to badly effect my download, but for overnight stuff, or when I'm away, I don't care if I'm maxing out my upload. I don't want any limits.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2005-03-28 20:29

Please try setting a different value for the transfer buffer sizes in the settings dialog of FZS.
Something in your network setup must be different than in most other environments. Routers, firewalls, tcp/ip settings, virus scanners... All these can have a massive impact on transfer speeds.