How do I enable the SFTP server?

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

hueyii
500 Command not understood
First name: Chris
Last name: Hughes

How do I enable the SFTP server?

#1 Post by hueyii » 2008-11-11 15:41

I've installed FileZilla but can find no information os configuring it to accept SSH over FTP connections on port 22. Do I just change the FTP port to 22 or is this functionality somehow automagic??

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: How do I enable the SFTP server?

#2 Post by botg » 2008-11-11 15:55

Where does it say it supports SFTP?

rjensen
First name: Roy
Last name: Jensen

#3 Post by rjensen » 2008-11-12 22:06

The features page for FileZilla states, as the second bulleted item, "Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)", and there is no lesser or restricted set of features stated for FileZilla Server, so in the absence of specifically stated features for FielZilla Server the stated features are those of both the FileZilla client and server: although it is not! :shock:

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2008-11-12 22:55

Yes, under the client category. But this is the server.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2008-11-12 22:58

Filezilla Server only supports FTP, FTPS and FTPES, no SFTP. SFTP is, unlike FTP(E)S a completely different beast than FTP, it shares nothing but the name with it.

Filezilla Client includes part of PuTTY to accomplish SFTP support (FZsftp.exe). The server counterpart would still have to be coded, which will not be anytime soon, if ever.

Edit by botg: Added the missing, but semantically required Server in the first sentence.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

antistar
First name: Chris
Last name: Squier

#6 Post by antistar » 2008-11-26 21:51

Wow is SFTP realy that much more difficult to implement server side as a feature? there are several other solutions available that can handle it. FreeFTPd seems to be able to do it...?

Not trying to be a jerk just asking, as I'm not a programmer. it just seems that FTP over SSL has always been something of a headache to set up regardless of the client/server.

da chicken
226 Transfer OK

#7 Post by da chicken » 2008-11-27 16:12

SFTP is as different from FTP or FTPS as it can get. They are completely unrelated protocols. I'd avoid FreeFTPd in favor of FreeSSHd. The former hasn't had a release in almost 3 years. It's dead.

When FileZilla Server returns to active development, I can't say if it will be developed as an SFTP server or not. Botg is now primarily a Linux user, and OpenSSH is more than sufficient for SFTP. There's just no good free solution for SFTP on Windows.