Can't access server remotely.

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Pete15
504 Command not implemented
First name: Pete
Last name: Lam

Can't access server remotely.

#1 Post by Pete15 » 2014-04-11 07:33

I need help. I've configured filezilla server, I think, correctly on my PC but I cannot access it remotely even though I can access it locally. When I try to access it remotely this is the error I'm getting.

Response: 530 Login or password incorrect!
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server

Help please.

Thanks. Lam.

boco
Contributor

Re: Can't access server remotely.

#2 Post by boco » 2014-04-11 18:39

Did you create an account? If so, do you get a reaction in the server log when someone connects from outside (use https://ftptest.net/)?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Pete15

#3 Post by Pete15 » 2014-04-12 02:19

You entered a private IP address. Those are not routed. If you want otheres to connect to your server you need to use a global address.

That is what I get when I test the server. I'm using 127.0.0.1 as IP and port 21. I'm using a dynamic IP address so I don't know if that could be a problem.

surr34l
500 Syntax error
First name: surreal
Last name: surreal

#4 Post by surr34l » 2014-04-12 13:24

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address, only accessible on your computer.

An internal network address is something like 192.168.1.x, or a few other ranges, which can be accessed by your computer and computers on your network.

You need the external IP assigned to you by your ISP to access your ftp server from the outside.

There are many sites which can tell you whatismyipaddress if you feel like googling.

Are you connecting to your ftp server with an actual ftp client (like filezilla ftp client) or are you referring to your connecting to your server via the admin interface.

You can connect to your ftp server with the admin interface locally, but I believe you need to set an administrative password for the admin interface if you want to connect externally (which you should have a password on anyway in my opinion)

The administrative interface password can be set inside the administrative interface when you connect to your server: Options > Administrative Interface Settings > Change Admin Password... then save the password when you connect via the admin interface next (if you want).

If you are referring to connecting to your ftp server from outside using an ftp client and it is asking for username/password, you need to set a user account first. In the administrative interface hit Users > Add and make a username, set a password, set a home directory, save it and try to connect again with your ftp client using that username and password.

Be sure your listening ports and passive ports are forwarded in your router to the static IP of the computer hosting the ftp server and those ports are also open in your firewall, allowing filezilla ftp server access too.
Pete15 wrote:You entered a private IP address. Those are not routed. If you want otheres to connect to your server you need to use a global address.

That is what I get when I test the server. I'm using 127.0.0.1 as IP and port 21. I'm using a dynamic IP address so I don't know if that could be a problem.
Where are you entering 127.0.0.1? Are you using that in your Administrative Interface > Options > Passive Mode Settings > Use the following IP?

If so, don't. Select the option: Retrieve external IP address from and leave the default url in that box.

Good luck. If you need more help, please be more specific. Going to pass out now, so hope someone else can help if you can't get it.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2014-04-12 13:35

Network Configuration

Really, it all is in the Wiki article above.

Pete15

#6 Post by Pete15 » 2014-04-12 15:00

Why are you making this so difficult? People have to read a lot of things before configuring it correctly.

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2014-04-13 02:43

Reading the network guide is the way to go, setting up and maintaining an FTP server is meant for advanced users only. You simply need certain level of knowledge to keep a public server safe.

Pete15

#8 Post by Pete15 » 2014-04-14 09:00

Thank you very much. Everything is working fine now. I did one stupid thing; I use 127.0.0.1 as an IP to connect remotely. :D

Alb673
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Alb
Last name: V

#9 Post by Alb673 » 2014-05-04 13:02

HI, I'm having a similar problem. I recently setup Filezilla to transfer files from my desktop to laptop, and managed to make it work.
Now I would like to be able to access my desktop from outside my house. I have already read the networking page, but as I'm new I'm still confused.
I can connect client & server, on the same network using internal IP address 192.168.x.x fine, but when i try to use my external IP address 87.81.x.x is not working.

I am connected to a different network, as I think I read that I cannot use the external IP address, if both machine are on the same network.

Both machines running Win7. Filezilla is allowed on both Win Firewalls

I'm not really sure of where do i have to put this address. Tried to set it to be used in client's active mode, and server passive mode, but still not working. Even tried to use it on the server starting window instead then the standard 127.0.0.1 which i think is a loop to my desktop, but I get an "Error, could not connect to server"

I'm using a Netgear DG834G router and under Firewall rules I have allowed Outbound for FTP, but for Inbound, if I use 87.81.x.x I get error "IP address is illegal"

So at the moment I'm lost. I'm sure there is something silly I am missing but can't see it :?
I'll be great if someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Alberto
Attachments
Connect to server External IP address start window.PNG
Connect to server External IP address start window.PNG (15.19 KiB) Viewed 28140 times
Server external IP setup.PNG
Server external IP setup.PNG (91.47 KiB) Viewed 28140 times
Client external IP setup.PNG
Client external IP setup.PNG (113.15 KiB) Viewed 28140 times

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2014-05-04 20:49

1st image: The "Connect to server" dialog doesn't have anything to do with FTP client connections. It only interconnects the administration interface with the service engine. Unless you want to administer the server from abroad, always use localhost, 127.0.0.1 or ::1 here.
2nd image: Here the external IPv4 is correct, if it is static or nearly static (doesn't change often). Otherwise, the "Retrieve external IP" option is recommended. Additionally, set and forward/open a range of ports used for listings & transfers (data ports).
3rd image: This is the client setting for Active mode. Not required for Passive. Note: Applies to the client network, you need to forward ports in the client router.

Network Configuration

Always use https://ftptest.net/ (or a true outside location) to test, due to inner workings the external IPv4 will fail in most cases if server and client are in the same network.

Alb673

#11 Post by Alb673 » 2014-05-05 12:20

HI boco, thanks for your reply.

By re-reading the Networking page, I have now opened ports 50000-50100 in Win 7 firewall's "inbound rules" on the Server machine. I guess that's what you meant by " Additionally, set and forward/open a range of ports used for listings & transfers (data ports)."
Do I have to do the same on the client machine too?

About image 3 shall I just leave the "ask your operating system for the external IP address" or do I need to set the "limit local ports" ?

I also setup Filezilla in the router Services with ports 50000-50100 and in the Firewall Rules. I'm using a Netgear DG834G V4 but I don't think it would make any difference.

I have the client connected wireless on a different network, but still not able to connect. I'm getting quite frustrated, as I'm normally able to follow tutorials, although English is not my first language :(

Another thing, probably a stupid question, but do I have to set a password for the user in the client and server?
I noticed that by using a password, when I checked on the server side, the user password box is filled with black dots, but my actual password is a lot shorter... not sure is is just a visual thing or is actually changing the password?

Cheers
Alberto
Attachments
Server_User_Password.PNG
Server_User_Password.PNG (72.04 KiB) Viewed 28112 times
Netgear Firewall Rules.PNG
Netgear Firewall Rules.PNG (48.21 KiB) Viewed 28112 times
Netgear Services.PNG
Netgear Services.PNG (16.01 KiB) Viewed 28112 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#12 Post by botg » 2014-05-05 18:03

Try disabling SPI if it's on. Those things usually cause worse problems than they try to prevent.

Alb673

#13 Post by Alb673 » 2014-05-06 01:39

Thanks botg for the suggestion, but the SPI Firewall is already OFF

boco
Contributor

#14 Post by boco » 2014-05-06 20:36

Do I have to do the same on the client machine too?
Only in case you want to use Active mode connections. For the recommended Passive mode client doesn't need configuration.
About image 3 shall I just leave the "ask your operating system for the external IP address"
Applies to both FileZilla and FileZilla Server: If you are behind NAT the OS doesn't know your external IP! For dynamic IPs the best option is "Get external IP from..." with default server.
or do I need to set the "limit local ports" ?
See answer one. Only for Active mode.
Another thing, probably a stupid question, but do I have to set a password for the user in the client and server?
Nope. Anonymous accounts or ones without password should work.
I noticed that by using a password, when I checked on the server side, the user password box is filled with black dots, but my actual password is a lot shorter... not sure is is just a visual thing or is actually changing the password?
FZ Server doesn't store the password you enter, only its MD5 hash. Thus there are always 32 dots.

Alb673

#15 Post by Alb673 » 2014-05-11 13:53

Thanks for the reply boco.

I've just came back to cold London after a few days away in sunny Barcelona, and I'm depressed already :(
At the moment I'm moving photos to my desktop, so I'll give it another go later on.

Cheers
Alberto