Bypass NAT and/or/neather FireWall From College Dorm

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

tengwar3
504 Command not implemented

Bypass NAT and/or/neather FireWall From College Dorm

#1 Post by tengwar3 » 2009-01-30 04:30

As you can see i have been having trouble with getting through my college network to make my server available. So i am in need of some assistance from some more tech savvy people then my self.

I have installed FZ and i was able to access the data base or available folders from my own web browser, and the client that i have installed. I was able to see all the log information from the servers logs so i know that my users and passwords all work. However, when i try accessing my server from any place, even my roommates mac (working with cross platform stuff is a pain in the ares) and he was not able to get at the files. Though he (and three other computers from in the net work and one out side the network) were able to get to the "enter your user name and password prompts." So there computers can connect to mine, but even with the correct user name and password, they can not log on, and it simply replies "user name or password incorrect".

I do have a program called No-IP which is used because of my changing IP address. I am behind a router or a NAT device (i dont know if there the same or different) that changes my IP address. So what this program does is it gives me a point of reference. It reads my current IP when i boot up and then sends it to its master web page were it pairs it up with a host name (Ex: ftp://SUNYCollege.myftp.org). I heard something about the IP address that it reports cant be accessed because its behind a router and i need (i think) the external IP address for the router/NAT. Only thing is i cant set up port forwarding on it.

I really only need to share files with in the network here though. But if i can share from out side the school that would be even better to back things up at my home. Thank you greatly for your time in reading this, and i hope that the resolve for this is very simple.

PS: not bad for some one that USED to know very little about networking dont you think?

Cypress
226 Transfer OK
First name: J

Re: Bypass NAT and/or/neather FireWall From College Dorm

#2 Post by Cypress » 2009-01-30 05:21

tengwar3 wrote:Though he (and three other computers from in the net work and one out side the network) were able to get to the "enter your user name and password prompts." So there computers can connect to mine, but even with the correct user name and password, they can not log on, and it simply replies "user name or password incorrect".
1.Suggest you try and get one of them to install filezilla client or use something that can display the 'welcome message' of the ftp server to ensure it is really your server they are connecting to and not the college's server.
tengwar3 wrote:I am behind a router
Behind 1 or more?
What I mean is you have an ethernet plugin in the wall(wall jack) of your dorm room, yes?
Does it have 1 connection and you have that connection plugged into a router in your room OR do you and your roommate each have a plug?

If you have seperate connections from the wall(no router in the room):
1. (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe type: ipconfig [press enter]) Do that will show your computers IP Address
2. What are the first two octets of your computers ip address?
Only need to see the first TWO for example: 192.153

If you have a router in the room:
1. Open your router settings
2. What are the first two octets of the IP Address it lists next to "WAN" or "WAN Address"

tengwar3

#3 Post by tengwar3 » 2009-01-30 16:03

Cypress wrote:1.Suggest you try and get one of them to install filezilla client or use something that can display the 'welcome message' of the ftp server to ensure it is really your server they are connecting to and not the college's server.
I did install FZ on a mac to see if i could access it that way as well. I put in the ftp://sunycollege.myftp.org (thats an example) then the username followed by the password. It didnt connect is what my best guess is because there was nothing going on in the dialog except it saying something like this:

connecting to ftp://sunycollege.myftp.org
transfered to *insert IP address here*
connection timed out / conection failed (either one, i dont know which)

on the mac i also tried using an other client, i think its called rubber duck or something like that.
Cypress wrote: Behind 1 or more?
What I mean is you have an ethernet plugin in the wall(wall jack) of your dorm room, yes?
Does it have 1 connection and you have that connection plugged into a router in your room OR do you and your roommate each have a plug?

If you have seperate connections from the wall(no router in the room):
1. (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe type: ipconfig [press enter]) Do that will show your computers IP Address
2. What are the first two octets of your computers ip address?
Only need to see the first TWO for example: 192.153

If you have a router in the room:
1. Open your router settings
2. What are the first two octets of the IP Address it lists next to "WAN" or "WAN Address"
Each there are two wall plug in's in my double. There is also a wireless connection that i am using right now. I do plan to go get a hard wire soon (so that being said would there be a difference?)

ipconfig says that the first two prefixes are 137.141

I do not have a router in the room though, and i dont know if i can access it because its locked down as a public router.

Cypress
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by Cypress » 2009-01-30 17:46

Does that dyndns you have work on the computer you have the server on? Meaning on the computer hosting the server if you do ftp://whatnot it actually connects you and works?

Try connecting from your roommates computer using the ip address from the ipconfig list. Start - run - cmd.exe ipconfig
You will probably have better luck because the dyndns is taking the connection outside the network then trying to bring it back.
tengwar3 wrote:There is also a wireless connection that i am using right now. I do plan to go get a hard wire soon (so that being said would there be a difference?)
The answer would be maybe it all depends on how the college handles the wired connections.

tengwar3

#5 Post by tengwar3 » 2009-01-30 19:24

I went onto one of the schools computers and used the portable client. My roommate just left for the weekend. Anyways here is what i got:

For using the IP address this is its log

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Could not connect to server
Error: Connection attempt interrupted by user

For using the ftp://server this is its log

All the IP addresses were fine, so the dyndns program is doing everything just fine. The IP address it connects to is my *wireless lan connection 2* IPv4 address

I also tried through the web browser to no avail.

Cypress
226 Transfer OK

#6 Post by Cypress » 2009-01-30 20:59

16 67 149 110 xxx.xxx.x.xxx core-router.xxxxxxx.edu <-- death
17 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
18 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
19 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
20 Timed out Timed out Timed out -

Host the server from a computer at your parents home... make your life easier.
Yeah. You could probably ask the helpdesk people but.. don't get high hopes.

tengwar3

#7 Post by tengwar3 » 2009-01-30 22:44

Cypress wrote:16 67 149 110 xxx.xxx.x.xxx core-router.xxxxxxx.edu <-- death
17 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
18 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
19 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
20 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
What is this?
Cypress wrote:Host the server from a computer at your parents home... make your life easier.
Yeah. You could probably ask the helpdesk people but.. don't get high hopes.
I cant, im far away from home and im the one that has all the files.

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2009-01-31 06:00

I don't think you'll have much luck setting up a server there. The college network equipment is in place to prevent exactly that. It may not even be allowed...
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Cypress
226 Transfer OK

#9 Post by Cypress » 2009-01-31 08:24

tengwar3 wrote: What is this?
a trace route.

tengwar3

#10 Post by tengwar3 » 2009-01-31 20:49

Cypress wrote:
tengwar3 wrote: What is this?
a trace route.

You couldn't have trace routed my server, i never gave out the FTP://thingy or my IP. ftp://sunycollege.myftp.org is just an example.

Its ftp://sunycosmos.myftp.org is the server name, try trace routing that then. My IP address right now is 137.141.244.62 i am downloading some large files so i wont be rebooting anytime soon. Let me know if your able to get to it.

I dont know if theirs any merit to this hole thing, but i am able to access my friends server who is off campus. I can download and upload files to his server.

Cypress
226 Transfer OK

#11 Post by Cypress » 2009-02-01 00:31

tengwar3 wrote:You couldn't have trace routed my server, i never gave out the FTP://thingy or my IP. ftp://sunycollege.myftp.org is just an example.
Look at your post with connection attempt logs from when you tried to use a school computer.. I put it below for easier findings you can look for it in your earlier post.
tengwar3 wrote:I went onto one of the schools computers and used the portable client. My roommate just left for the weekend. Anyways here is what i got:
For using the ftp://server this is its log

From my connection and not the tracert site:

Code: Select all

15    49 ms    50 ms    50 ms  core-router.oneonta.edu [137.141.1.253]
16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
17     *
I'm not going to wait for it to timeout any more times.
core-router.oneonta.edu is blocking the inbound connection.
The way your college has setup the network you will not be able to host a server they have it set so all connections go through core-router.oneonta.edu..

The only thing could do is ask call the helpdesk(number's on their site somewhere) and ask if they block lan to lan connections.. then why. If they ask why you want to know tell them: you where trying to share a few files via ftp with one of your friends at the dorm since it would be easier to allow your friend to download them from you than to have to use a flash drive, cd, dvd.. to transfer them.
If they say they don't block lan to lan.. ask them about the wireless.