FileZilla 3 development diary

Moderator: Project members

eyebex
226 Transfer OK

#556 Post by eyebex » 2006-12-02 10:03

Couldn't you just add some third-party public address resolvers, e.g. http://checkip.dyndns.org/, to a drop-down box which the user can choose from, so traffic gets distributed across these hosts?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#557 Post by botg » 2006-12-02 15:22

I would have to request permission, manage external changes and so on. In short: Too much hassle. The new script's location will be on http://ip.filezilla-project.org. Using the subdomain, I can change the address and do load balancing on DNS level already.

botg
Site Admin

#558 Post by botg » 2006-12-06 19:47

I got access to Windows Vista through my university and couldn't resist the chance to test it.
First of all the good news: FileZilla 3 seems to work great under Vista, I couldn't see any obvious problems.

Now the bad news: Vista sucks! I played around with Vista for a couple of hours and found it pretty much unusable. Fancy bloatware. Vista is like a casted superstar: A beautiful but empty shell. Just some extra bucks in the pockets of Mr. Gates. There's no usability, every aspect of Vista is like totally orthogonal of what I want a good OS to be.
If everything, Vista drags me even faster towards Linux + KDE. In a few years when XP becomes outdated, KDE will have advanced to a point where it is superior to XP and even Vista in every single aspect.

I hereby announce: The day Windows XP reaches the end of it's support lifecycle, Windows will no longer be officially supported by FileZilla. Let others handle it, I refuse to use the bloatware called Vista.

botg
Site Admin

#559 Post by botg » 2006-12-06 20:06

I've bumped minimum required wxWidgets version to 2.8.0 for FileZilla 3.
2.8.0_rc3 is currently available and the final version will be released this coming weekend as far as I know, unless there are any major problems.
The reason behind it are the many small improvements to wxWidgets since the 2.6.x branch.
I've submitted quite some patches to wxWidgets to iron out all problems I've encountered while working on FZ3. While FZ3 would have been able to compile and run with the aged 2.6 branch, the experience would have been tainted by various problems (See earlier posts and/or join irc to get even more detailed information). So the reason behind the 2.8 requirement is to ensure the best possible version gets used. No good program without good libraries.

Following the final 2.8 release, I plan to release FileZilla 3 beta 3. The most prominent change will be TLS/SSL support. In total, over 100 commits to the CVS repository will contribute to beta 3.

botg
Site Admin

#560 Post by botg » 2006-12-13 20:20

We all familiar with Murphy's Law. As if it couldn't be more fun, I've encountered some bug in FileZilla 3 caused by a design flaw. That was of course after I've had already completed most steps of the release procedure: Packaging up the source, compiling all the binaries, packaging the binaries with proper filenames, creating the m5 sums, checking for malware with clamscan and so on. A task that takes a few hours.
Only at the stage of uploading the files I noticed the problem

The problem I encountered was the handling of the connection state: Connected or disconnected, to which server is user connected and the likes. The new login attempt retry code revealed this problem in an interesting way:
- I made a typo in the server's address. Connection failed, a retry attempt was pending
- Entered correct address and connected
- Selected files to upload and selected the upload option from the context menu.

I expected the files to be uploaded, but nothing happend. It turned out that the asynchronous event handling caused to confuse the state handling. I had to make a few changes to solve this problem.

But finally, beta 3 is out. Enjoy the new FTP over TLS/SSL support, the nice speed improvements and the numerous small fixes.

twu2
425 Can't open data connection

#561 Post by twu2 » 2006-12-14 14:37

No FTP over SSL/TLS in SiteManager's servertype.
I found the only way I can use TLS is from QuickConnect, use ftpes:// to connect the server.

botg
Site Admin

#562 Post by botg » 2006-12-14 19:21

twu2 wrote:No FTP over SSL/TLS in SiteManager's servertype.
Nice catch.

digitize
500 Command not understood

#563 Post by digitize » 2006-12-15 12:36

But finally, beta 3 is out.
And Beta 4, too?
I got access to Windows Vista through my university and couldn't resist the chance to test it.
First of all the good news: FileZilla 3 seems to work great under Vista, I couldn't see any obvious problems.

Now the bad news: Vista sucks! I played around with Vista for a couple of hours and found it pretty much unusable. Fancy bloatware. Vista is like a casted superstar: A beautiful but empty shell. Just some extra bucks in the pockets of Mr. Gates. There's no usability, every aspect of Vista is like totally orthogonal of what I want a good OS to be.
If everything, Vista drags me even faster towards Linux + KDE. In a few years when XP becomes outdated, KDE will have advanced to a point where it is superior to XP and even Vista in every single aspect.
I know, I know... it sucks. But it's better than XP (not saying much), IMO.

Personally, I am a fan of Gnome + Linux (via Ubuntu), but both Gnome and KDE are lightyears ahead of Windoze.
I hereby announce: The day Windows XP reaches the end of it's support lifecycle, Windows will no longer be officially supported by FileZilla. Let others handle it, I refuse to use the bloatware called Vista.
That's not very far off, 'cause it took forever to make the new version of bloatware. I can't wait! :lol:

botg
Site Admin

#564 Post by botg » 2006-12-16 11:55

I really dislike people which have badly broken mail servers. They make it impossible for me to reply to their mails. I take my time to read their mail, write a lengthy reply and send it.
What do I get as reply?
The message you sent requires that you verify that you
are a real live human being and not a spam source.

To complete this verification, simply reply to this message and leave
the subject line intact.
No way. I as real live human have blacklisted that entire domain as result. If you don't want my replies, I don't want your mails either.

h2
550 Permission denied

#565 Post by h2 » 2006-12-16 20:48

Vista sucks! I played around with Vista for a couple of hours and found it pretty much unusable. Fancy bloatware. Vista is like a casted superstar: A beautiful but empty shell. Just some extra bucks in the pockets of Mr. Gates
That's what I decided too when I first saw xp. fancy bloatware, that takes hours to get setup to turn off the hideous graphics that are just a sad imitiation of osx aqua.

I don't blame you at all for having this reaction, when I saw xp I knew it was just a matter of time before I switched to linux, and last year I finally got around to it.

Vista was a complete failure, microsoft had to abandon almost all core new features, and literally had to throw out the first version they made, about 2 years ago, and start all over, with a dramaticaly reduced feature set.

Microsoft apparently can no longer control the massive binary blob they created, and are too far into that method to find the joys of modularity... too many lines of code jumbled up too profoundly, vista is a signpost pointing to failure.

On the bright side, linux desktops are getting better and better, still take some skill to run well, but that's changing fast.

And in terms of eyecandy, beryl is years ahead of vista, and vista will probably never get there, and beryl does it with radically lower gpu requirements.
<sorry, offtopic, but couldn't resist>

botg
Site Admin

#566 Post by botg » 2006-12-16 22:00

Well there are tons of changes in Vista I dislike and there are no options anywere to change them. Perhaps some badly documented registry switches, but that's not what I want. Terrible login screen (Give classic Win2k one back!), the dreaded "favourite links" box in explorer that I so much don't need yet it's not possible to disable it. The whole directory structure in general that Microsoft tries to impose on me and so on. For me, the Deskop is a subdirectory in my profile, which is a subdirectory on one of my drives. And the deskop is NOT the root. And so on and so forth...

botg
Site Admin

#567 Post by botg » 2006-12-17 16:35

In the next beta version, I'll make the user interface more customizable. I'll be doing so using wxAUI, which stands for wxWidgets Advanced User Interface.

I've done some testing and implemented very basic support for it in FZ3. It was suprisingly easy. Though I'll still have to do lots and lots of fine-tuning.

What will be possible using wxAUI? Here's a sneak preview. Upon startup, the panes were all in the usual position, yet now they are freely dragable as well.
To demonstrate it, I've dragged them into this awkward configuration:

atg2d
500 Command not understood

#568 Post by atg2d » 2006-12-18 11:56

Hi i remember at the beginning of Filezilla3 development there were plans of using tabs. Now after beta3 of filezilla3 i still don't see any tabs. Are they still going to be implemented?

botg
Site Admin

#569 Post by botg » 2006-12-18 12:47

With the new wxAUI framework, adding tabs shouldn't be that difficult.

botg
Site Admin

#570 Post by botg » 2006-12-23 11:13

Unfortunately I've come across some obstacles with wxAUI.

I have problems with the sizing of the "center" panes. I can't seem to properly specify the minimal size of a pane. Even worse, I can drag docked panes to a size bigger than the window size, and there is no code to intercept that.
If I can't fix that, I might be forced to abandon wxAUI.