How to use FileZilla in "Read Only Mode"?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

dfzfa
500 Command not understood

How to use FileZilla in "Read Only Mode"?

#1 Post by dfzfa » 2013-06-18 22:49

Hi, I'd like to just browse around a server without worrying about dragging something into the wrong place, double clicking something, etc.

Is there a way to set the client to "Ready Only Mode" or "Safe Mode"?

boco
Contributor

Re: How to use FileZilla in "Read Only Mode"?

#2 Post by boco » 2013-06-19 00:38

All permissions are granted or restricted by the server. If you use an FTP account with read-only rights you cannot change anything.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Frogbarf
500 Command not understood

Re: How to use FileZilla in "Read Only Mode"?

#3 Post by Frogbarf » 2020-08-15 12:51

I realize that I am replying to a seven-year-old post, but the original poster makes a good point.
To rephrase the question, would it be possible to implement a "read-only" or "browsing" mode option that disables all remote write commands in the FileZilla client, e.g. put, delete, rmdir, rename etc? Of course, we should all be careful when working with remote directories, but when working with the FileZilla client it is sometimes all too easy to unintentionally move or delete files and directories when working with a mouse. This problem is far less likely when working from a command line client, as the user must enter an explicit command. I and my colleagues have personally fallen victim to this while using FileZilla in production environments. I now avoid using FileZilla for precisely this reason and use a command line client instead. The addition of such an option to the FileZilla client would be a nice "enhancement". Would such an option be open for consideration?

Regards