Redirect 301 without htaccess

Post all HTML related questions here. No support.

Moderator: Project members

TUROMAS-TECNOCAT

Redirect 301 without htaccess

#1 Post by TUROMAS-TECNOCAT » 2014-01-29 15:02

I am running a website which is created with a third party propietary CMS and hosted in their own servers (it is a commercial package and must be used as it is). I works well overall but my problem comes next: I can't get direct access to the server, only to the user's admin side of the website. We had a former site and many links in the internet point to old adresses which no longer exist.

I tried to ask our website/server company to get access to the htaccess file to make a redirect 301 from old addresses to corresponding new ones but the insist this type of file is not available in their server so they cannot proceed with my request.

Is this possible? Shouldn't a htacess file be always available? Is there a SEO compliant alternative to the redirect 301?

Thanks for your help. Best regards,

moralezhub
500 Command not understood
First name: Katherine
Last name: Moralez

Re: Redirect 301 without htaccess

#2 Post by moralezhub » 2014-01-30 07:25

You try to look for the registrar of that old address (do a whois) and take note where it resides right now. It's impossible that that old address is no longer present in the main server. Ask them to do a domain forwarding to your new website address.
<Link to site with advertising/commercial contents deleted>

TUROMAS-TECNOCAT

#3 Post by TUROMAS-TECNOCAT » 2014-01-30 08:51

Hi Moralezhub, thanks for your reply,

I think I didn't express correctly the problem. Old website had different urls, which can't be created in our new CMS. As per this, all those links that already exist in internet point to non existing url, which means lots of 404 error...

Is there a SEO compliant way to address all those broken links to their current url without using the httaccess file? As I said, my CMS/hosting company insists there is no htaccess file in their server.

Best regards.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2014-01-30 20:52

Don't perform SEO. Optimize your website for human readers. Get visitors by having good and accessible content, not by cheating search engines.

Harry-Band
500 Command not understood

#5 Post by Harry-Band » 2014-03-25 10:30

You can do it with php (if your CMS is using it)

Code: Select all

<?
Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" ); 
Header( "Location: http://www.example.com" ); 
?> 
<Removed signature, not allowed>

victoriamon
500 Syntax error
First name: Victoria
Last name: Montoya

#6 Post by victoriamon » 2014-04-15 19:34

Which CMS platform you using it custom made? If it is then ask them to have some 301 redirect plugin or extensions or similar stuff and redirect the url to your new page. As i know in WordPress joomla drupal it is quite possible so should it be in your CMS.