Windows 7 filezilla transfer speeds SLOW!!!

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

terrorindeed
504 Command not implemented

Windows 7 filezilla transfer speeds SLOW!!!

#1 Post by terrorindeed » 2013-10-12 03:29

I use logmein to access my PC from abroad and transfer files via filezilla. Everything has been working great with speeds matching my ISP's advertised speeds.

I didn't transfer files over a 3 day period, and when I began transferring last night, I noticed that the speeds had dramatically slowed, from 11.7mb/s - 90kb/s.

The only action was a windows update of approximately 17 installs the night before.

Filezilla is up to date, and my NIC is up to date.

Anyone have any idea as to what happened?

medlicense
500 Command not understood
First name: M E
Last name: Brooks

Re: Windows 7 filezilla transfer speeds SLOW!!!

#2 Post by medlicense » 2013-10-14 18:04

Is your internet company putting the breaks on your Bandwidth allotment? I know that more and more are trying to ration out the pipeline in order to keep a brake on overhead and increase revenue. I haven't had any issues with upload speeds w/ FileZilla and I'm constantly update/uploading new pages and edits. Been using FZ since 2010 and love the product. M E Brooks

terrorindeed

#3 Post by terrorindeed » 2014-05-17 16:17

I'm back with the same problem.

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem transferring via FTP. I have 2 computers at home accessing whatbox, a dual booting windows 7 pro - OS X build and a HTPC windows 8.1 build.

Twice in the past year my windows 7 build has reduced speeds from 12MB/s to ~ 3.5MB/s, while the HTPC build continues to fly at full speeds.

I have tried everything as far as I can tell.
Filezilla and cuteftp
Ethernet and Wireless connections
A new Cat 6 cord
resetting my router
static IP
disabling all firewalls and antivirus

The problem began shortly after signing up for whatbox (although prior to that I had no FTP transfers on the go). I resolved by installing windows 7 fresh, now 6 months or so later, I'm running into the same problem.

Yesterday I found a driver update (19.1 4/10/2014) for my intel 82579 ethernet adapter, and installed it. Instantly my speeds incresed to 12MB/s, thinking I had fixed the glitch I began moving large amounts of data ~250GB. When I came back to my build, I found my speeds to have again fallen back to the 3.5MB/s speed. I reinstalled the drivers, no luck, I then UNINSTALLED the drivers, the system picked up over wifi on my TP-Link 4800 where the speeds too went back to 12MB/s. Approximately 15 minutes later the speeds once again dropped.

Now I am unable to replicate yesterdays behaviour and my speeds are stuck at 3.5MB/s.

If I allow 2 simultaneous connections speeds increase, but they don't quite double ~ 6.6MB/s.

I'm looking for a solution to allow 1 connection full speeds just like my HTPC build and my OS X boot using filezilla and the same hardware. Having multiple connections is not a solution for me since 95% of the transfers come from 1 file in my folder bundles (iso's or folder/files).

Thoughts? Ideas?

I'm really not interested in a fresh windows 7 install since it seems the problem will only pop up again.

terrorindeed

#4 Post by terrorindeed » 2014-05-17 16:21

medlicense wrote:Is your internet company putting the breaks on your Bandwidth allotment? I know that more and more are trying to ration out the pipeline in order to keep a brake on overhead and increase revenue. I haven't had any issues with upload speeds w/ FileZilla and I'm constantly update/uploading new pages and edits. Been using FZ since 2010 and love the product. M E Brooks
My ISP is not throttling or shaping since I can download from my server using my HTPC build and my OS X boot with filezilla at FULL speeds 12MB/s. I am 100% certain it is a windows 7 networking issue. Microsoft will not even help me out of warranty since it involves a third party program.

Confirmation that the behavior is also not limited to filezilla (cuteftp) is frustrating, to say the least.

terrorindeed

#5 Post by terrorindeed » 2014-05-17 16:23

Anyone with any sort of networking experience please help :)

I've sent the same message to my seedbox for their assistance but I am hoping someone of the thousands of viewers here can add something to the conversation.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2014-05-17 16:29

I hope someone passes by and solves that mystery. Has also occurred to me in the past, that's why I use only Intel NICs nowadays.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

terrorindeed

#7 Post by terrorindeed » 2014-05-17 16:44

boco wrote:I hope someone passes by and solves that mystery. Has also occurred to me in the past, that's why I use only Intel NICs nowadays.
Thanks for the support:)

So you only use PCI-Express NIC?

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2014-05-17 17:03

Yep, Intel PRO 1000 PT. Supports Teaming, VLAN, fine-tuning, diagnostics etc.

Had no problems so far, but, hey, it's Windows...

terrorindeed

#9 Post by terrorindeed » 2014-05-17 17:29

boco wrote:Yep, Intel PRO 1000 PT. Supports Teaming, VLAN, fine-tuning, diagnostics etc.

Had no problems so far, but, hey, it's Windows...
Nice,

My gigabyte UP5-TH motherboard uses the Intel 82579V gigabit - whats the difference, if any? I see all of the above listed PROset options in my configure.

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2014-05-18 00:21

I just have good experiences using Intel NICs. There might be a few other points:
-FileZilla has hidden buffer settings in the configuration file. For hi-speed connections, tinkering with them might increase speed/stability.
-Never block the ICMP protocol. It is required for path MTU discovery to work. Otherwise you'll get slow transfers (IPv4, because of fragmented packets) or none at all (IPv6, where packets cannot be fragmented).
Some refer to ICMP as 'Ping' although it is much more than that.

terrorindeed

#11 Post by terrorindeed » 2014-05-24 03:23

Thanks Boco, but I've never tinkered with any settings. I'm trying to figure out what within windows is causing this problem for FTP transfers both with filezilla and cuteftp - wired or wireless.