Updated To Version 3.10.0 Now Receiving Errors

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

fxwoody
500 Command not understood
First name: Frank
Last name: Wood

Re: Updated To Version 3.10.0 Now Receiving Errors

#16 Post by fxwoody » 2015-01-08 20:46

botg wrote:FileZilla now automatically uses FTP over TLS if the server accepts it. Unfortunately there are a few badly configured servers out there. These servers need to be fixed.
All cool with us but what is the FIX in question pls :)
Old proverb say's "Why fix it when it's not broken"

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#17 Post by botg » 2015-01-09 09:05

It's mostly expired certificates as well as incorrect firewall and NAT router configuration on the server that needs fixing.

BE55Roberts
First name: Bradley
Last name: Roberts

#18 Post by BE55Roberts » 2015-01-09 14:17

botg wrote:FileZilla now automatically uses FTP over TLS if the server accepts it. Unfortunately there are a few badly configured servers out there. These servers need to be fixed.
In my case - i.e. Bluehost.com - it was a situation that I could fix. I did the following: :)
1. Logged into Bluehost and went to the Control Panel
2. Under Security, Click on "SSH/Shell Access"
3. Click on "Manage SSH Access". You may need to verify your identity with Bluehost at this point.
4. From the drop down, select "SSH Access Enabled" and click "Submit"

Now in FileZilla, create a new Account
1. Host is the FTP Address - e.g. ftp.somewhere.com
2. Protocol is "SFTP-SSH File Transfer Protocol"
3. User ID is your Bluehost User Id
4. Password is your Bluehost Password
5. Click "Connect" to establish a connection with Directory Listing!

This resolve the issue with 3.10 for me. And I'm glad to have the Secure Access for all of my future file transfers. It should prevent security issues in the future.

guyb
First name: Guy
Last name: Bustillos

#19 Post by guyb » 2015-01-09 14:46

I'm getting the similar behavior since updating:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: CWD /Theming
Response: 250 OK. Current directory is /Theming
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/Theming" is your current location
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (174,127,104,174,200,255)
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

However, if I change encryption back to plain FTP, filezilla 3.10.0 works perfectly.

I have been on my hosting tech support all morning and they also use filezilla and they said thay have tried it on to PCs and it is working correctly. What could be the problem with my configuration?

crash893
First name: Nonya
Last name: Biz

#20 Post by crash893 » 2015-01-09 18:10

what ports on the firewall should be open for this?

gregnk

#21 Post by gregnk » 2015-01-09 18:22

@crash893

sftp: 22
implicit tls: 990
Last edited by gregnk on 2015-01-10 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

PTCO
First name: Lindsey
Last name: Laveirge

#22 Post by PTCO » 2015-01-09 18:30

I followed BE55Roberts' advice, and it worked. When I contacted Bluehost to verify, Bluehost first suggested I select "Plain FTP" instead of "FTP over TLS", when I informed support of BE55Roberts' solution, he told me to do that.

Admins - is this an appropriate way to fix this?
BE55Roberts wrote:
In my case - i.e. Bluehost.com - it was a situation that I could fix. I did the following: :)
1. Logged into Bluehost and went to the Control Panel
2. Under Security, Click on "SSH/Shell Access"
3. Click on "Manage SSH Access". You may need to verify your identity with Bluehost at this point.
4. From the drop down, select "SSH Access Enabled" and click "Submit"

Now in FileZilla, create a new Account
1. Host is the FTP Address - e.g. ftp.somewhere.com
2. Protocol is "SFTP-SSH File Transfer Protocol"
3. User ID is your Bluehost User Id
4. Password is your Bluehost Password
5. Click "Connect" to establish a connection with Directory Listing!

This resolve the issue with 3.10 for me. And I'm glad to have the Secure Access for all of my future file transfers. It should prevent security issues in the future.

someguy321
First name: Dean
Last name: Chriss

#23 Post by someguy321 » 2015-01-09 23:54

I have the same/similar issue with 3.10.0. FileZilla has always worked perfectly, and worked perfectly 5 minutes before I updated to 3.10.0. After that it didn't connect due to unrecognized certificate, and when I told it to accept the certificate it connected and then couldn't download the directory.

I've read other posts and answers. I don't have time to persuade hosting services to update their servers so my updated FileZilla will work, and neither do others. I've already reverted to the previous version, which still works perfectly and I simply won't update. Down the road there are other FTP clients that work too. I just wanted someone to know.

igdent
First name: Gayle
Last name: Dent

#24 Post by igdent » 2015-01-10 06:18

Hi everybody,
I joined up when I read 'nodirectorylisting' wishing to backdate Filezilla. That's exactly what I have done. Fortunately, I always keep old versions in my downloads folder, and was able to reinstall 3.9
No matter what I did (ports, firewalls, encryption etc) it simply would not connect. I have now set the program to never check for updates.

botg
Site Admin

#25 Post by botg » 2015-01-10 09:50

PTCO wrote:I followed BE55Roberts' advice, and it worked. When I contacted Bluehost to verify, Bluehost first suggested I select "Plain FTP" instead of "FTP over TLS", when I informed support of BE55Roberts' solution, he told me to do that.

No, it is only a workaround. The appropriate way to fix this is for the server administrators to fix their server.

botg
Site Admin

#26 Post by botg » 2015-01-10 09:52

igdent wrote:Hi everybody,
I joined up when I read 'nodirectorylisting' wishing to backdate Filezilla. That's exactly what I have done. Fortunately, I always keep old versions in my downloads folder, and was able to reinstall 3.9
No matter what I did (ports, firewalls, encryption etc) it simply would not connect. I have now set the program to never check for updates.
If everyone were to use that approach, we'd still be living in caves. Move forward, convince your server administrator or server hosting provider to fix their server.

kulli
First name: k
Last name: k

#27 Post by kulli » 2015-01-10 09:54

since today with update
same problem another error:

Status: Verbindung hergestellt, warte auf Willkommensnachricht...
Antwort: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.5 Server (ProFTPD) [*********]
Befehl: AUTH TLS
Antwort: 234 AUTH TLS successful
Fehler: GnuTLS error -12: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
Fehler: Herstellen der Verbindung zum Server fehlgeschlagen

Scrailin

#28 Post by Scrailin » 2015-01-10 13:04

This version should, as a minimum, come with a warning to warn users that this will, in effect, render FileZilla completely useless without server modifications.

Whilst you can argue that progress is necessary and improvements in security are a good thing, many users are simply unable to make the necessary modifications with immediate effect and anyone with any urgent requirement to use the program will be massively inconvenienced.

In my experience, 3.10.0 is as effective at managing a file server as a pen and paper, as connecting has become an impossibility. There are servers I work on that cannot be modified, at least in any reasonable time scale, and therefore installing 3.9.05 was my only option.

So, to anyone experiencing this problem who cannot "fix" every single one of the servers they require, the solution is to un-install 3.10.0 and install an older version if you are fortunate enough to have saved one. Or use a different program :)

BE55Roberts
First name: Bradley
Last name: Roberts

#29 Post by BE55Roberts » 2015-01-10 14:16

botg wrote:
PTCO wrote:I followed BE55Roberts' advice, and it worked. When I contacted Bluehost to verify, Bluehost first suggested I select "Plain FTP" instead of "FTP over TLS", when I informed support of BE55Roberts' solution, he told me to do that.

No, it is only a workaround. The appropriate way to fix this is for the server administrators to fix their server.
Perhaps a better word for it would be "customization." There was nothing wrong with the server; it was doing what it was designed to do. The Web Hosting companies have to support both "Plain FTP" and "FTP over TLS" protocols. And they do, but you have to customize your account to enable the secure protocol. In my case, that was simply using the Control Panel interface to enable the secure protocol (i.e. Manage SSH access.) I recommend that others implement the same customization, then the Server and FileZilla 3.10.0 will get along.

boco
Contributor

#30 Post by boco » 2015-01-10 16:16

You are completely wrong. What you did enable IS NOT FTP over TLS. You enabled SFTP/SSH, a completely different protocol, and you are actually lucky that your hoster supports it. Many others might not support SFTP (but it doesn't hurt to try since it is still better than plain FTP). The FTP over TLS (FTPS Explicit) support of the server is broken, it is what FileZilla now uses as default.

Fact #1: The only thing changed is that FTP over TLS is now default. You can still re-select plain FTP in the Site Manager. FTP over TLS is not forced.
Fact #2: FileZilla will try FTP over TLS only if the server announces support for it. Not FileZilla's fault if the server cannot fulfill its claims.

So you approach a bridge and the sign reads: "Up to 4.5t", and you cross with your 3t vehicle. The bridge collapses. In your logic the fault lies with the vehicle (FileZilla), but in reality it is the bridge's (server's) fault because it did announce something it can't actually support.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org