Connections and Disconnections

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

chris
500 Command not understood

Connections and Disconnections

#1 Post by chris » 2004-02-26 22:55

I've been using filezilla for a long while now. I did 2 things at once so I'm not sure where the problem is. My host of filezilla.

Last month I moved to a new host and I upgraded to the newest filezilla (2.2.4b). Transfers and everything are pretty much working fine but I have a few problems:
  1. After I make a transfer and the directory refreshes, files beginning with a "." will disappear. Like .htaccess.
  2. I keep getting disconnected after a directory is listed. (donno if this is FZ or my host)
  3. I keep having to reconnect when uploading/downloading and wait for the welcome message after a short period with no transfers. In the status window it reads this: "Connecting to ftp.example.com ...
    Status: Connected with ftp.example.com. Waiting for welcome message...". This is the most annoying as it takes up a lot of my time. (donno if this is FZ or my host)
  4. When transferring files with "." in the name. they sometimes fail or keep retrying.
I could come up with more but these are the most annoying. Like I said, I don't know if my host has something set so I can't stay connected for a period of time or if it's filezilla.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2004-02-26 23:48

As for the dotfiles, you may have to select "Show hidden files" in the view menu. Under Unix and derivates, dotfiles are hidden by default, they normally don't appear in directory listings.
# I keep having to reconnect when uploading/downloading and wait for the welcome message after a short period with no transfers.
Do you have to reconnect if you don't transfer any files for a while or do the transfers stop somehow for a while? In the first case, FileZilla closes all connections established for transfers after a while so that it does not block server ressources. Also, the server might be configured to disconnect you if you don't transfer any files for a while.
In the status window it reads this: "Connecting to ftp.example.com ...
Status: Connected with ftp.example.com. Waiting for welcome message...". This is the most annoying as it takes up a lot of my time. (donno if this is FZ or my host)
Since this takes a lot of time, there migh be a firewall interfering with the connection.

Have you tried connecting to other servers to look how they work for you?

chris

#3 Post by chris » 2004-02-27 00:03

As for the dotfiles, you may have to select "Show hidden files" in the view menu. Under Unix and derivates, dotfiles are hidden by default, they normally don't appear in directory listings.
Show hidden is on. After a transfer, the directory is refreshed, sometimes hidden files aren't showing and I need to refresh manually to see them.

I'm using a firewall. Perhaps it's causing the problems. I'll try running FZ without it for a while.

It seems as if I don't transfer a file every 20 seconds, I will have to wait for the reconnect.

Sometimes if I change to another directory, after FZ lists the directory is says "Disconnected" and I hadn't had a chance to transfer anything.

I'm not sure what the deal is. It might be the firewall it might be my host. I didn't have these types of troubles before I moved to the new host.

chris

#4 Post by chris » 2004-02-27 00:56

This is what happens. I login. I go to where I want to retrieve a file. Then it goes through this whole proses before I can download the file. (sorry in advance for the log post)

Code: Select all

Response:	150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
Response:	226 Transfer complete.
Status:	Connected with ftp.example.com. Waiting for welcome message...
Response:	220-This computer system is for authorized users only. Individuals using this
Response:	 system without authority or in excess of their authority are subject to
Response:	 having all their activities on this system monitored and recorded or
Response:	 examined by any authorized person, including law enforcement, as system
Response:	 personnel deem appropriate. In the course of monitoring individuals
Response:	 improperly using the system or in the course of system maintenance, the
Response:	 activities of authorized users may also be monitored and recorded. Any
Response:	 material so recorded may be disclosed as appropriate. Anyone using this
Response:	 system consents to these terms.
Response:	 
Response:	 
Response:	220 ProFTPD 1.2.9 Server ready.
Command:	USER ***private****
Response:	331 Password required for domain.
Command:	PASS *******
Response:	230 User ***private**** logged in.
Status:	Starting download of /public_html/***private****/dir/test.php
Command:	CWD /public_html/***private****/dir/
Response:	250 CWD command successful.
Command:	PWD
Response:	257 "/public_html/dir/dir" is current directory.
Command:	PASV
Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode (63,247,72,82,238,5).
Command:	TYPE A
Response:	200 Type set to A
Command:	LIST
Response:	150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
Command:	PASV
Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode (63,247,72,82,241,113).
Command:	RETR test.php
Response:	150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for me.php (3410 bytes)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2004-02-27 08:33

You can try to disable "Use multiple connection" in FileZilla. Then it will no longer establish new connections for transfers. Though you won't be able to browse the server any longer while a transfer is in progress.

chris

#6 Post by chris » 2004-03-02 00:13

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Disabling "Use multiple connections" worked. I now do not have to wait for the login whenever I transfer a file.