Updated To Version 3.10.0 Now Receiving Errors

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

digiscrapper
500 Command not understood
First name: Jemima

Re: Updated To Version 3.10.0 Now Receiving Errors

#106 Post by digiscrapper » 2015-01-16 06:07

digiscrapper wrote:My FTP is only just working again on FTP Only and NOW I cannot locate my zipped folders on my FTP...

They have NOT been moved and now I've got clients from my home-based online business getting :shock: because I haven't been able to fulfill my side on my commitment :cry:

I NEED HELP & I WISH & WISH I HAD NOT UPGRADED :cry:
NO ONE HAS ANSWERED MY PROBLEM...

I'm using Windows 8 - how do I make a screen shot ??

Where my zipped folders are to upload.... it says 'Empty Directory'. (6 Objects filtered) Well the 6 objects that have been filtered are my ZIPPED folders waiting to be uploaded...

PLEASE HELP !!!! :cry:

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#107 Post by botg » 2015-01-16 07:45

Fatbat wrote:Alright. Liquidweb came back to me with "the passive port range was not properly set in the ftp config". After that, everything worked again as expected.
Hooray! :)

The_hobbit
First name: Manus
Last name: Smit

#108 Post by The_hobbit » 2015-01-16 08:38

Hey guys, new to the forum. Thanks for this great tool to all the Filezilla guys.

I just want to note, this is all well and dandy, but a warning would have been great. It was almost panic stations today, because I couldn't update a website until I realized I could roll back. :roll:

I will contact server host and request updating, but no one in their right minds, especially if they need this to work desperately, is going to go that route first. So to all you guys making the caveman references, think before you speak, you're not in someone else's shoes and more importantly, they are most definitely not in your shoes. Not everyone has as much knowledge of this as the next guy. You HAVE to consider that.

The mere fact that so many people are complaining should be an indication that it wasn't handled right because those are the people who use Filezilla, whether you like it or not, the consumers of any product are, in essence, the consumers of that product, if that makes any sense.

But I love your work guys, thanks for the added security and keep it up.

botg
Site Admin

#109 Post by botg » 2015-01-16 11:13

The_hobbit wrote:The mere fact that so many people are complaining should be an indication that it wasn't handled right because those are the people who use Filezilla, whether you like it or not, the consumers of any product are, in essence, the consumers of that product, if that makes any sense.
I couldn't have known beforehand that so many servers are broken or badly configured. I'm actually very surprised that the FTP daemons have TLS enabled. I wonder why in the past people didn't try FTP over TLS with their servers and reported the failure to either side?

boco
Contributor

#110 Post by boco » 2015-01-16 15:52

digiscrapper wrote:NO ONE HAS ANSWERED MY PROBLEM...

Where my zipped folders are to upload.... it says 'Empty Directory'. (6 Objects filtered) Well the 6 objects that have been filtered are my ZIPPED folders waiting to be uploaded...

Go to menu View - Filename filters. Unselect all checkmarks there. That should reveal your items that you accidentally filtered out.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

edgrsanchez
504 Command not implemented
First name: Edgar
Last name: Sanchez

#111 Post by edgrsanchez » 2015-01-16 20:11

If you're using GoDaddy's cPanel, try this:

Go to FileZilla > Site Manager then change the Protocol from FTP - File Transfer Protocol to SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol.

As soon as I did this, I was able to connect without making any changes on GoDaddy's end.

I guess FileZilla devs decided to singlehandedly shame companies that have incorrectly configured FTP servers... at the expense of the user without giving us a heads up or some kind of gradual change.

I feel like the correct way to have done this is for FileZilla to try to connect using FTP over TLS Explicit if the server says it supports it. If the server is incorrectly configured, FileZilla could have shown some kind of prompt asking the user if they'd like to attempt connecting using Plain FTP along with a stern warning about the incorrectly configured FTP server, instructing the user to contact the server administrators and giving a warning that the next release of FileZilla will ONLY support FTP over TLS Explicit and will otherwise fail to connect.

That's just coming from someone that provides tech support to many adults and old people that have been forced to use FileZilla by their company when they have no idea what FTP even means.

digiscrapper
First name: Jemima

#112 Post by digiscrapper » 2015-01-17 09:06

boco wrote:
digiscrapper wrote:NO ONE HAS ANSWERED MY PROBLEM...

Go to menu View - Filename filters. Unselect all checkmarks there. That should reveal your items that you accidentally filtered out.
Thanks so much Boco - that fixed the problem :D I'm still using the earlier version though until the new one gets fixed!

sava700

#113 Post by sava700 » 2015-01-17 18:21

Ok new user here

Upgraded to the latest versions over 3.9.0.6 and I've had nothing but problems with using it. I have 5 different connections listed under Quickconnect - for a reason I prefer it that way so its quick and easy.

Well all but 1 works which is with Site5...I complained to them and they want me to setup a site manager setting to basically dumb it down for plain FTP. Cause the default TLS connection just won't work with it nor do they intend to change anything on their end. So I just went back to the old 3.9.0.6 for now cause I would rather keep it the way I had it.

Now I have two questions... if I'm going to stay on the old version how do you stop the stupid thing from prompting me about the update that I can't use cause that is just super annoying. The other question is for a future version release which lets me right click any previous added Quickconnect option to not use TLS connection and a way to delete certificates that have been accepted cause I can't find that anywhere in the settings options.

botg
Site Admin

#114 Post by botg » 2015-01-18 09:52

Well all but 1 works which is with Site5...I complained to them and they want me to setup a site manager setting to basically dumb it down for plain FTP. Cause the default TLS connection just won't work with it nor do they intend to change anything on their end. So I just went back to the old 3.9.0.6 for now cause I would rather keep it the way I had it.
So you are using plain FTP now if you're using the old version.

Kayemmo
First name: Kevin
Last name: O'Connor

#115 Post by Kayemmo » 2015-01-18 21:15

I'm having the same issue as others have described in this thread. I have been trying to figure out how to

boco
Contributor

#116 Post by boco » 2015-01-18 23:59

Secure FTPS connections to FTP servers must be explicitly attempted by the FTP client. FileZilla 3.10 does that now by default, while 3.9.0.6 did not. Hence, with the default settings of 3.9.0.6 FileZilla never used TLS, but always Plain.

Simple equation:

FileZilla up to 3.9.0.6 with default settings = FileZilla 3.10+ with Plain (Insecure)

sava700

#117 Post by sava700 » 2015-01-21 00:58

botg wrote:
So you are using plain FTP now if you're using the old version.
Pretty much cause the new version is just not simple or give me options enough to change things to revert back to the way 3.9.0.6 worked.

So my question is still the same.... how do I make it stop asking me to upgrade when I launch the old version when I already have it checked to NEVER check for updates? Cause I'll stay at the old version for as long as it takes or till the new version is changed in a manner to make it more user friendly and oriented to be defaulted differently/changed to function as the older.

boco
Contributor

#118 Post by boco » 2015-01-21 05:26

First, it's a simple little switch in the Site Manager entry for your server (Encryption). The default will not be changed again, and I guess eventually Plain FTP will become deprecated.

Second, well, you're getting the notification because FileZilla already picked up the update before you switched to Never. It does not check for newer updates anymore but still offers the one it already found. You'd have to edit the filezilla.xml file to stop that.

@botg: Could you insert a warning (at startup) into future FileZilla versions in case they detect being over, let's say, six months old?
"Warning: You are using an obsolete FileZilla version that may suffer from bugs and security vulnerabilities." etc.

botg
Site Admin

#119 Post by botg » 2015-01-21 09:43

@botg: Could you insert a warning (at startup) into future FileZilla versions in case they detect being over, let's say, six months old?
"Warning: You are using an obsolete FileZilla version that may suffer from bugs and security vulnerabilities." etc.
Basically annoying every Debian user on the planet? ;)

Joke aside, it's possible to implement something like this for the official flavor of FileZilla only.

wolfberg
First name: Matis
Last name: Wolfberg

#120 Post by wolfberg » 2015-01-21 22:35

where is the Plain FTP setting?