Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

eleonard
500 Command not understood
First name: Elizabeth
Last name: Leonard

GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated

#1 Post by eleonard » 2015-01-14 23:54

Can anyone tell me if this is strictly a server issue. I have been with our IT Dept and they are saying no, the Vender in which I use this software to remote is saying yes. Help!!!! :( This is the new version downloaded Jan2015, using windows 7

"Status: Connecting to ???.???.?.??:21...
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
Error: Could not connect to server
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 CODELSO FTP server (Version 4.2 Mon Sep 10 17:32:06 CDT 2012) ready.
Command: AUTH TLS
Response: 234 Using authentication type TLSv1
Error: GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated."

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated

#2 Post by botg » 2015-01-15 08:50

Most likely a server issue. Unfortunately the hostname has been removed from the log so I can't analyze this further.

elmar112
First name: Elmar

#3 Post by elmar112 » 2015-01-26 16:32

I had a simillar issue.

Turned out that the client was outdated.
did not work with Filezilla 3.6.0.3 & GnuTLS 3.1.4, but worked fine with Filezilla 3.7.4.1 and gnuTLS 3.1.11.

hth

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2015-01-26 16:46

Speaking of outdated, that too are heavily outdated versions.

alexander.oss

#5 Post by alexander.oss » 2015-01-30 21:33

I'm using FileZilla 3.10.0.2 with GnuTLS 3.2.20 (current, if I'm not mistaken) and I'm getting the same error (which has for quite some time forced me to use CoreFTP instead of FileZilla to connect to this server):

Error: GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.

Is that enough information to diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2015-01-31 10:28

@alexander.oss: Your server does not seem to support strong cryptography, it only seems to support deprecated and insecure algorithms.

rachelinsall
First name: Rachel
Last name: Insall

#7 Post by rachelinsall » 2015-02-04 15:20

I installed a FileZilla update this morning. Now I cannot log in and am getting the above error.

I seem to have version 3.10.1.1 (c) 2004-2015
this version seems to have been built 02/01/2015

wxWidgets: 3.0.3
GnuTLS: 3.2.21
SQLite: 3.8.8.2

I run Windows 7 64-bit system

I have completely uninstalled & re-installed FileZilla in an effort to resolve.

I do not have on-site IT support as we are a very small business. I'm not sure what my next steps should be.

MrDK
First name: Peter
Last name: Petersen

#8 Post by MrDK » 2015-02-11 14:57

rachelinsall wrote:I seem to have version 3.10.1.1 (c) 2004-2015
this version seems to have been built 02/01/2015
wxWidgets: 3.0.3
GnuTLS: 3.2.21
SQLite: 3.8.8.2
I run Windows 7 64-bit system
I have the same versions and builds as rachaelinsall and is getting the same errors.
One thing worth noting is that is has been working fine at home, but now two days later I am on a different network (hotel) connecting to the same server.
I can upload files using CPanel, but that is a single file at a time.

ANY setting I can change to bypass whatever prevents me to use FileZilla with default settings?

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2015-02-11 15:22

Do you really want to give up on security in a public network? Then set the Encryption for your server entry in Site Manager back to Plain FTP.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

jasoncollege24
First name: Jay

#10 Post by jasoncollege24 » 2015-07-01 07:23

While setting the connection to plain FTP does work, this is not a good idea. Also, since this seems to be a wide spread issue on many servers, where the client is using filezilla, where other clients work fine, I believe this is a problem with filezilla, and not a server side issue.

i have exactly the same issue on a cPanel enabled server where I have root access. The server is using Pure-FTPD (default for cPanel servers)

This happens with file transfers, using filezilla 3.11.0.2

Since this FTP server is the default for cPanel servers, and this problem is wide spread, perhaps this should be seen as a bug in the filezilla client.

Just my 2 cents
##Begin Sig Block##
The name is Jay
Simple guy, with simple needs
##End Sig Block##

boco
Contributor

#11 Post by boco » 2015-07-02 10:37

It has been explained multiple times why it is a problem with the servers and not with FileZilla, but here, again:

FileZilla asks if FTP over TLS is supported. The server replies: Yes. Then, FileZilla actually attempts to use FTP over TLS and the server craps out, because it is not properly configured despite saying so.

Solution: The server should either properly support FTP over TLS, or tell FileZilla that it doesn't support it (by denying the AUTH command).

dominicg

#12 Post by dominicg » 2015-07-09 15:49

boco, I do belive you are right. It is not a problem with Filezilla but with the servers. However, given that many many servers are still not configured the proper way as for example intranet FTP servers which may not have had that requirement before or simply because of a lack of proper configuration, I think a better explanation is deserved.

The fact is that with previous versions of Filezilla, the default Encryption type for sites was "Plain FTP". All my sites were set this way. I've recently updated my Filezilla from 3.5.1 to 3.10.3 and I started to get the error we are talking about here. Of course, I did not notice that change in the default Encryption setting after the update. After some googling, I found out that the error has been caused by Filezilla's new version which has now changed it's default Encryption type to "Use explicit FTP over TLS if available". This change has been automatically applied to all the sites under our Site Manager. It is not a bug with Filezilla. It's just that Filezilla has decided to implement this ahead of everyone else I believe. I've tried other clients and the default "FTP over TLS" is not attached to sites by default. It is still "Plain FTP" so all sites are connecting as expected. This is probably the reason why several users are blaming Filezilla rather than pinpoint the real issue.

Despite the fact that it is a very good approach to strenghten the security by default, several users (including myself) who upgraded with a more recent version of Filezilla were faced with this error for each and every site we were trying to connect to since some or all of our sites were previously set to connect by default with Encryption set to "Plain FTP". I'm in a large corporation (30 000 employees) and have no access to any of the FTP servers we are hitting because they are supported by another department. So, I need to switch back the Encryption settings to "Plain FTP" for all my sites. So be it... Because as you can imagine, I cannot request a nation-wide change to be applied to our numerous servers because Filezilla said so.

Therefore, I do believe that some of us here in this post are trying to figure out why this is happening and unfortunately all the evidences are pointing to Filezilla as the source of the problem which is not true. Clarifications are required which you did not mind posting...

I'm no big fan of your type of support since you seem to prefer to be rude rather than actually give better and constructive explanations. This is not acceptable in my opinion. Nevertheless, I still find that Filezilla is a very good product.

boco
Contributor

#13 Post by boco » 2015-07-10 00:37

I do not know what your perception of 'rude' is, but if you mean the fact that we won't spoon-feed everyone, you're right.

We do not have the time to do individual customer care. At the same time, the target audience for FileZilla are advanced users. So we expect users to at least read a little and search for their problem before asking the same questions that have been answered already hundreds of times. There's the FAQ and the Wiki, for exactly that reason.

tl;dr: "Customer Care" and "Technical Support" are different things. Tech-support sounds harsh often because there's no mincing words with icing on top. :D

dominicg

#14 Post by dominicg » 2015-07-10 12:08

boco, if you are assuming that your target audience is advanced users, you missed your target. Not sure if you read the subject but to my understanding, it says: "GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated". I've searched the FAQ and Wiki and haven't found any reference to this error. According to the first replies to this post, even botg was not even clear on what was going on:
Most likely a server issue. Unfortunately the hostname has been removed from the log so I can't analyze this further
and you are assuming that everyone should be able to figure this out themselves? When a massive load of users are asking the same question here and there, how hard is it to post a link explaining why this happens and how this can be resolved?

Since you don't seem to "care" or "support" much, I will post a "bug report" right here for users who are looking for some kind of "explanation" of the source of the problem. This should show you how smoothly "advanced users" were able to handle this. It will also show you the users how convinced Filezilla guys are that everyone in the world should follow Filezilla's new feature when they release it. Because when Filezilla makes a change, it becomes officially the new internationally approved standard, right?

https://trac.filezilla-project.org/ticket/9995

botg
Site Admin

#15 Post by botg » 2015-07-10 12:49

Ticket 9995 is a good example how users disregard objective facts presented by an expert on the topic.

Instead of addressing the root of the problem these users instead want to shoot the messenger.

They keep arguing and arguing the same uninformed nonsense, constantly attempting to shift blame away from cause the problem and instead towards the trigger of the symptoms.

They don't understand the problem and actively refuse to learn new things. On top of it they reject whatever those that do understand the problem have to say.

I think there's a fitting quote for this kind of situation:
Isaac Asimov wrote:Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'