How can I disable directory caching in filezilla 3?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

bulksmsprovider
500 Command not understood
First name: Sahil
Last name: Joshi

Re: How can I disable directory caching in filezilla 3?

#31 Post by bulksmsprovider » 2015-10-09 11:57

<Removed, not allowed. Read the rules>

tedych
426 Connection timed out
First name: Teo
Last name: Meo

#32 Post by tedych » 2015-10-09 18:35

Thanks but this has been mentioned earlier in this thread I believe.
Modifying the .h file constant may have other implications as stated by the program author then.
Also the compiling procedure is everything but friendly, as I said earlier - not my thing, not my job. I'd spend hours fighting just to recompile it, I've already spent hours searching for alternatives etc.
I'll just try it once a year to see if anything's changed in this regard.
I tried Many other FTP clients, free and shareware, I still use old version of another client, now I can't see anything that's worth to convert to, or to update to. I'll use my 5-year old client until something better comes out.

boco
Contributor

#33 Post by boco » 2015-10-09 23:07

Currently, cache TTL is at 900 secs, not 1800 anymore. Just FYI.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

tedych
426 Connection timed out

#34 Post by tedych » 2015-10-10 09:18

Yes, I noticed it refreshed remote content earlier than 30 minutes, no matter how often I disconnect/reconnect.
This should be configurable, at least we should be able to configure the cache to be discarded on disconnection. But there are too many other issues and I mentioned some in a separate thread few years ago, none of them addressed to date.
The only feature that made me try it again is the tabs, but they are half-baked and far from enough. In the meanwhile I decided on a shareware solution that has everything working right (also option to disable full row select, monitors folders for changes, no cache issues etc. etc.) and is not expensive. Only lacks tabs but that is compensated by the other sanity. I'd wish to buy something like FileZilla with a little more and simple customizability etc. but I guess that won't happen anytime soon. This was a very long ride searching for my new FTP solution to replace my 5-6 years old program.

tedych
426 Connection timed out

#35 Post by tedych » 2016-11-13 11:34

My expectations of an FTP client are already very low, and the only thing that I'd ever wish fixed in Filezilla, is this directory caching epic.
It is drastic problem, the reasons mentioned hundreds of times already.
What is the obstacle to make this TTL setting at_Least configurable?
Filezilla seems one of the few FTP clients that can fill up my gigabit connection to few hosting accounts (~90MB/s), but this very issue will forever be the reason not to make FZ my main client! It causes way too many failings and problems. I cannot "afford" to exit and restart FZ after every connection I make to a server, just to be sure I see fresh data on every click on a folder!
So, please?
Do you need to earn money or something, to implement this? If so, why not introduce a Pro version for a small fee where we can get what we beg for, for so many years?
I'm wondering what and how should I say just to make you reconsider your attitude to this serious problem.
Last edited by tedych on 2016-11-13 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

boco
Contributor

#36 Post by boco » 2016-11-13 12:57

What prevents you from pressing F5 to refresh the listing?

tedych
426 Connection timed out

#37 Post by tedych » 2016-11-13 13:01

The need and not to forget to do it for the tens of folders I visit regularly on each connect. The extra effor to press a key on every folder we visit? Not enough?... I can go on but these are critical. The question was different. Everyone have their own reasons and habits. A way to control the TTL of the cache is more than essential.
A simple "we won't never ever, to the end of the world, ever consider implementing the user to control the 900 sec TTL" would suffice. The simple fact me, and others are ready to buy a reasonably priced Pro version where this is implemented, speaks enough for itself!

It's not me who has to remember a tedious and needless action to press a superfluous key each time I might visit an already cached folder! I need fresh listings with 100% reliability not depending on me to press a superfluous key on every folder that might have been cached previously. And I see that even if the folder's 30 minutes TTL has expired, its icon is still as "visited". This all thing is ridiculous. Please do something to fix this.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#38 Post by botg » 2016-11-14 15:03

I have some good news and some bad news for you.

Let's start with the bad news: The cache cannot be disabled, some parts of FZ require a working cache for their functionality or they wouldn't work at all.

The good news is that you'll be able to configure cache lifetime in the next version through filezilla.xml, down to 30 seconds as a bare minimum.

tedych
426 Connection timed out

#39 Post by tedych » 2016-11-15 09:43

Thank you!
30 sec is almost perfectly bearable :) . I'll wait impatiently. In the other client I'm using right now, I can totally enable/disable caching, but I enabled it with a similar persistence period. Although me in particular, I would have set something like 10 sec if I could. But 900 sec was h*ll of an eternity.

By the way, one of the reasons I insist on using FZ as my main client, is the sustained transfer rate I can achieve with it. I have gigabit connection and I can transfer files to my shared hosting with 98MB/s! I tried other clients, one of them seems not optimized and can reach only about 55MB/s max. Among the GUI-friendly programs that can reach 90+MB/s, FZ is almost the only one.

tedych
426 Connection timed out

#40 Post by tedych » 2016-12-05 22:37

botg wrote:The good news is that you'll be able to configure cache lifetime in the next version through filezilla.xml, down to 30 seconds as a bare minimum.
What should I change in this new version (3.23) in filezilla.xml to lower the cache timeout to 30 sec?
Is it:
<Setting name="Timeout" type="number">20</Setting>
?
I cannot find anything related to it.

boco
Contributor

#41 Post by boco » 2016-12-05 23:07

Code: Select all

<Setting name="Cache TTL">600</Setting>
You must add it manually, as old config files don't get it automatically.

tedych
426 Connection timed out

#42 Post by tedych » 2016-12-06 13:32

Thanks. It works like a charm. Long-waited feature indeed. It should be in GUI settings though - if I reinstall it (clean), I would forget what where to put to make it behave like that again.

I don't know if that's a related bug but in this version the remote tree icons (only) look bad. I'll post another thread.

boco
Contributor

#43 Post by boco » 2016-12-06 20:37

New config files do get all settings. Such a setting in the GUI might confuse novices, though. Maybe FileZilla simply needs a hidden "Expert settings" menu for those advanced settings...

The bad looking icons will probably look much better in 3.23.0.2.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#44 Post by botg » 2016-12-06 23:13

Adding more GUI settings has a technical constraint: Loading the settings dialog takes too much time, it already takes over a second on slightly older machines. It can be fixed, but doing so is tedious, monotonous work for an entire monsoon season.

boco
Contributor

#45 Post by boco » 2016-12-06 23:39

A hidden expert settings dialog would be rarely loaded, and only by those who know it.