timeout using iPad as hotspot

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

PCKid
500 Command not understood

timeout using iPad as hotspot

#1 Post by PCKid » 2016-01-08 08:05

a newb here and had a bit of a look and googling with not much luck. travelling with a Lenovo ideapad 100S with Windows 10 and Filezilla vers. 3.14.1 and an iPad Air with IOS 9.2. Trying to use the iPad as an Hotspot to download my files. It logs into my source and starts initializing TLS then just timeouts. I've increased time out to 120 seconds but makes no difference. I can browse the web and do normal downloading etc but Filezilla won't play ball.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: timeout using iPad as hotspot

#2 Post by botg » 2016-01-08 11:02

Looks like there is a firewall on your iPad or another active networking component, e.g. in your mobile ISP's network that cannot handle explicit FTP over TLS.

Note that most mobile ISPs only offer a limited subset of Internet capability. They think their customers only use the World Wide Web and don't support other protocols.

GotZilla
500 Syntax error

#3 Post by GotZilla » 2016-01-08 22:06

Are you using 3G / 4G on your iPad? If you are try connection your iPad to a wlan and share the internet with a hotspot to your machine and then try to use Filezilla.

To explain. Now you have:

4G -> iPad -> PC

Try:

Normal internet (cable etc.) -> Wlan box -> iPad -> PC

If it starts working you know the problem is with the connection. If it doesn't you know the problem is in the iPad.

PCKid
500 Command not understood

#4 Post by PCKid » 2016-01-09 06:36

botg wrote:Looks like there is a firewall on your iPad or another active networking component, e.g. in your mobile ISP's network that cannot handle explicit FTP over TLS.

Note that most mobile ISPs only offer a limited subset of Internet capability. They think their customers only use the World Wide Web and don't support other protocols.
Yep pretty certain you've got it. Vodaphone data cards must limit it. Just have to run my vpn and do it the old way