Filezilla downloading upate to my downloads folder

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

eddie89
500 Command not understood

Filezilla downloading upate to my downloads folder

#1 Post by eddie89 » 2016-07-11 17:02

Hello

I have an old computer that has an old version of Filezilla installed. I have an html based website that I update using filezilla. I just update the html files on my computer and then upload them to my hosting account using Filezilla. The problem is, every time I start Filezilla, it starts by telling me I need to update and it downloads an update file to my download folder.
is it necessary for me to update? I am a strong believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" the old version works fine for me. should I update or should I leave it alone? If I update, I am afraid something will break What are the benefits of updating?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Filezilla downloading upate to my downloads folder

#2 Post by botg » 2016-07-11 17:51

Please update. Old versions are entirely unsupported. Updates may also contain fixes for security vulnerabilities.

One benefit for updating is improved performance, FileZilla has become a lot faster over the past couple of versions.

eddie89
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by eddie89 » 2016-07-11 20:43

botg wrote:Please update. Old versions are entirely unsupported. Updates may also contain fixes for security vulnerabilities. You would see major improvements when updating your site and it is more secure.

One benefit for updating is improved performance, FileZilla has become a lot faster over the past couple of versions.
If I update, will I lose my saved log in information in site manager? The FTP usernames and passwords and settings that I have saved in site manager for easier access so I don't have to look them up every time I need to log in? will those still exist after the update, or do I have to go back and recreate them?
Last edited by eddie89 on 2016-07-16 04:40, edited 3 times in total.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2016-07-11 21:24

Generally all settings and sites are preserved when updating. Any exceptions are noted in the version history.

I'm not aware of a single case where updating FileZilla has resulted in a loss of stored passwords.

If you are still not convinced, you can backup your stored sites via the export item in the file menu prior to updating.