Suggest making windows installer translateable

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

scootergrisen
503 Bad sequence of commands

Suggest making windows installer translateable

#1 Post by scootergrisen » 2016-08-07 10:46

I created https://trac.filezilla-project.org/ticket/10760 because i would like to see the windows installer in my language.
So we can discuss it here to hear what people have to say.

I think it would be a more complete experience for the users and maybe widen the user base for people that does not understand english.
And what good is it to have a well translate program if the users can't install it if they dont understand english.

jameswrecky
500 Command not understood

Re: Suggest making windows installer translateable

#2 Post by jameswrecky » 2016-08-08 09:26

Ok, that is good idea, but you know, english for installing is mostly the same in every program, so If someone install even one program, he should know the process of intsallation then. Am I right?

scootergrisen
503 Bad sequence of commands

#3 Post by scootergrisen » 2016-11-26 21:12

I like to give the user a more complete translation experience instead of partly translated and partly not translated.
If i spend a long time translating FileZilla to make it really good then i think its a shame when the user tries to install it that the user is meet with english.

If FileZilla is using NSIS for the Windows installer most of the installer is already translated to my language in the NSIS translation.
So we would "just" have to translate the FileZilla specific strings.

For example the Inkscape Windows installer is 147 lines of translation and 91 of them are language names (Danish, German, etc.) so its should not be so hard to translate it.
But i don't know how hard it will be to change the FileZilla installer so that it can be translated.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2016-11-27 17:42

It's not hard, somebody just needs to do all the tedious work.