Hosting A Website on my NAS?

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

generalzod
500 Command not understood
First name: General
Last name: Zod

Hosting A Website on my NAS?

#1 Post by generalzod » 2016-10-04 04:23

I recently bought a Synology NAS system which our office is using as a cloud service. Is it possible to host my website on it? How do I do it?
<Advertising and links to commercial sites forbidden!>

STovey
500 Command not understood
First name: Scott

Re: Hosting A Website on my NAS?

#2 Post by STovey » 2016-11-26 19:05

generalzod wrote:I recently bought a Synology NAS system which our office is using as a cloud service. Is it possible to host my website on it? How do I do it?
According to the Synology website, and depending on which of their machines you have, such as the All in one server, it is possible.

If all you have is just a storage server, then you may not be able to set it up to host your website. If you have an all in one server then do the following steps.

Your machine will need to have the following services installed:
The DNS server
The Webstation (webserver)
The Email server

For convenience, it is also best to have:
The DHCP server

In addition to this you need to have an internet connection with a static IP address.
A domain name provider that allows you to point your domain name to you IP address.

The static IP is not absolutely necessary but having one reduces the chances of your site going off line due to the IP address changing.

As far as setting up your local network, be sure that your server is not connected directly to the internet modem. Make sure you have a router/switch connected to your modem, and it separating the internet and your local network.

The following steps are necessary for your local network to be able to access the website using the domain name. If you do not follow these steps, you will have to use the IP address to access the website from your local network.

1. Set your server to be the DHCP as well as the default gateway or, if you have a separate DHCP server, change it's default gateway settings to point to the IP address of your Synology.
2. Set the server IP address to be static
3. Enter your domain name and the servers IP address in the DNS Server settings.
4. In your web server settings, setup your website.
5. In your router settings, set all incoming traffic to direct to the server IP address.

A Synology all in one server is not the only thing that this can be done with.
Any machine with DHCP, DNS, Web and Email servers can also be setup to
do this.

Hope this helps.