How can I disable directory caching in filezilla 3?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

tedych
426 Connection timed out
First name: Teo
Last name: Meo

Re: How can I disable directory caching in filezilla 3?

#46 Post by tedych » 2016-12-07 07:44

Yes, at least an (easily reachable) experts/advanced/ settings dialog about:config-style would be the best approach.
It should be available at least through a button somewhere in settings and not some sort of "guessable" access.
However, the cache TTL, I believe, is worth to have in GUI settings as it affects many users. Another textbox won't be noticeably slow down the settings dialog, it has hundreds of controls already. For me it opens in less than 1/3 of the second and my computer is not new (6+ years old).
As to new vs. old config files - if I hadn't asked in the forum, I wouldn't have known the existence of this new feature/option, which was the critical one for me that made FZ much much more acceptable and now I actually use it as my main FTP client :) .

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#47 Post by botg » 2016-12-07 07:52

Yes, at least an (easily reachable) experts/advanced/ settings dialog about:config-style would be the best approach.
about:config is the perfect example how not to do a settings dialog. It's worse than a configuration file.

tedych
426 Connection timed out
First name: Teo
Last name: Meo

#48 Post by tedych » 2016-12-07 08:40

But it exists there and in the browser world it just works. I have literally thousands of settings to tune the browser. Whether text-style (directly editing the text file) or wrapped in about:config-style interface, it is there and all options are there. I have a live-search box, I can toggle booleans with just double-click, etc. without worrying about irrelevant small things like syntax-correctness etc. It has its positives.
That said, I think new settings should be added to the xml file no matter if it is new or old/existing xml config file when closing or exiting FZ the first time. It already saves the current FZ version in the file's header, it could be the mark to know if the file was upgraded once to the new version's settings.

kbuchegg
500 Command not understood
First name: Karl Heinz
Last name: Buchegger

#49 Post by kbuchegg » 2018-10-16 18:14

This thread convinced me to search for a different FTP client.
This is ridiculous how the author step dances about a needed feature over the years.

GerHobbelt
500 Command not understood
First name: Ger
Last name: Hobbelt

#50 Post by GerHobbelt » 2019-06-07 11:31

As this thing is a bloody nuisance for me too for a long time, using FileZilla with an Android Mobile Phone FTP access, where the same FTP server (the phone) may switch between Internal Storage and SD Card directory trees.

The problem is not the cache per se, it's that the cache is kept around for the server as long as you're running FileZilla, even when you disconnect and then reconnect to the same server (which now shows entirely different content, so lots of 500 errors about files and directories not existing when you download some directory(trees) from the mobile FTP server).

Anyway, for those who persevered and got all the way to page 4/4 of this thread, here's how you dial down the cache timeout in FileZilla3 as mentioned earlier in this thread:

In Windows 10, you open the %APPDATA%/FileZilla directory in Windows explorer (type %APPDATA% in the path bar at top and take it from there) on your way to filezilla.xml.

In that configuration file (while you are NOT running FileZilla yet ;-) ), you change this line:

Code: Select all

<Setting name="Cache TTL">600</Setting>
to something like

Code: Select all

<Setting name="Cache TTL">10</Setting>
---

Note that the info earlier in this thread says FileZilla3 will allow you to dial it down to 30 seconds; at least with latest v3.42.1 release, it looks like entering such a low value (10 seconds) does indeed reduce cache persistence to the minimum value (not defaulting to 600 due to value below lower bound); I entered 10s anticipating future adjustment of the TTL lower bound.

With this line changed, with the same user behaviour (me and my mobile phone FTP server) it's no more 500 critical errors about file does not exist any more. Phew! :D

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#51 Post by botg » 2019-06-07 15:42

As this thing is a bloody nuisance for me too for a long time, using FileZilla with an Android Mobile Phone FTP access, where the same FTP server (the phone) may switch between Internal Storage and SD Card directory trees.
What a bloody nuisance of an FTP server. Would it hurt them to add a prefix to their paths? Let's say /internal/ and /external/ so that without having the server switch anything, a client could consistently access both at will.