Can't stop "Check for Updates"

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ZANYGENIUS
500 Command not understood

Can't stop "Check for Updates"

#1 Post by ZANYGENIUS » 2017-06-21 15:29

Because I must keep Vista on one of my systems for legacy software reasons, at lease temporarily, I'm unable to update FileZilla beyond 3.25.1 and I always had "Settings/Updates/FileZilla Updates/Check for FileZilla Updates Automatically" set to "Daily".

Obviously, I don't want to be offered Updates incompatible with Vista, so I changed that to "Never", as soon as I was offered v3.25.2 (2017-04-30) and the update was rejected, yet I'm still being offered unsolicited Updates. I'm also accruing "New Versions" in my Download directory, whether I want them or not.

What is that setting for, if it doesn't prevent such an intrusion each time I fire up FileZilla?

I even un-installed FileZilla, then reinstalled v3.25.1 to no avail. Of course, I didn't risk cleaning any remnants and settings from my system, not wanting to lose them, so I don't know if it would have made any difference, even if I had.

boco
Contributor

Re: Can't stop "Check for Updates"

#2 Post by boco » 2017-06-22 12:56

FileZilla remembers what newer version it has found. The mentioned option does only stop checking for newer updates, it does not stop offering of updates already known to FileZilla.

To completely wipe FileZilla's memory you would need to remove the found versions from the configuration file.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2017-06-22 14:27

You need to upgrade to a more modern operating system. Windows Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft and suffers from multiple unpatched security vulnerabilities.

LFH0

#4 Post by LFH0 » 2017-06-25 21:10

You need to upgrade to a more modern operating system.
While one with sufficient financial resources might be able to pontificate, others do not possess enough money to be able to afford a new operating system. FileZilla version 3.25.1 is working just fine, and I see no necessity to further line the pockets of Bill Gates for yet more software with planned obsolescence, along with more hardware to support that software (especially while I am having difficulty making ends meet). There really is no reason to "upgrade" when an existing system already does everything that is desired. Should the developers of FileZilla choose to be magnanimous by supporting Vista in a future release I would be most grateful. But given that the old version of FileZilla does what I need it to do, and that it has been developed for users without cost, I can easily live with the nagging pop-ups as to newer versions that are not supported. I would only ask that all recognize that others may not be as affluent.

botg
Site Admin

#5 Post by botg » 2017-06-26 06:42

While one with sufficient financial resources might be able to pontificate, others do not possess enough money to be able to afford a new operating system.
There are plenty of modern operating systems that are also gratis. Money is no excuse for running outdated software.

There really is no reason to "upgrade" when an existing system already does everything that is desired.
How about the additional functionality of an outdated operating system? It does so much more. For example an outdated system is a home for malware and shares your private data with everyone who's interested. Is this also desired?

pilotgeek45
First name: Ross
Last name: Peters

#6 Post by pilotgeek45 » 2018-12-20 15:19

botg wrote:
2017-06-22 14:27
You need to upgrade to a more modern operating system. Windows Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft and suffers from multiple unpatched security vulnerabilities.
I registered for one reason, and one reason only, and it's to tell you to get off your high horse. Filezilla is primarily used for FTP, which in itself is an outdated and insecure protocol (yes I know SFTP etc are supported). My primary use for Filezilla is transferring files to, you guessed it, OUTDATED MACHINES. We deal with many old computers which are used in machine shops and such that run old systems such as XP. In fact, I went to go find a solution to the unacceptably annoying auto-download update problem (who decided that was a good idea?!??) as I was transferring files to an MS-DOS machine running a 386sx. My 386sx is a hobby computer, as is my Windows 98 machine. But I should probably just throw those away due to security vulnerabilities, right?

So yes. While your primary daily driver should probably not be running Windows ME, sometimes you just gotta do it. Whether it be for hobby use or a special purpose.

The kindest of regards,
Pilotgeek

RobertAptacy
First name: Robert
Last name: Aptacy

#7 Post by RobertAptacy » 2018-12-21 05:27

botg wrote:
2017-06-22 14:27
a co z systemem WIN7?
URL REMOVED, READ THE RULES!!!

botg
Site Admin

#8 Post by botg » 2018-12-21 08:25

I should probably just throw those away due to security vulnerabilities, right?
If you cannot install a secure operating system, then yes, recycle this e-waste.

mathiasl
First name: Matthias
Last name: L

#9 Post by mathiasl » 2020-04-02 10:58

Dear botg,

Please let me start with saying that I love Filezilla and I've been using it more than 10 years now. I appreciate your work and that you offer this great piece of software for free.

Please also understand that there are people in different situation than you are and people that do not share or even do not want to share your opinion. It would be great if this general public licensed piece of software would also accept and respect the different opinions, preferences and boundary conditions of users.

Personally, I spend around 5-10 % of my work time and 10-15 % of my work time dealing with updates and bugs because unfortunately, for development I need a ton of different programs. I recognized that in the last probably 5 years, trend in software development goes to: We release a new piece of software every day and FORCE EVERY D*MN USER TO UPDATE THIS F*CK*NG SH*T. S*CK IT OR DIE.

Please have a bit of compassion for the large number of users who don't care remotely about updates and are in fact very annoyed by this ridiculous trend.
When I open software, I usually don't do this for fun but because - well - I want to use the software. I don't want to update. Not daily, not weekly, not even monthly if you ask me. I want to work. I'm fine with a major functional update per year, and maybe a monthly security fixing update.
People who need security, shall have it as soon as possible or as soon as they want, perfectly fine. But not everyone is a senior security special agent responsible for a once-in-a-lifetime mars mission that is in danger of being hacked from all over the world. There are also users who don't need security (yes, that is possible!) or who'd rather have their laptop hacked than thrown away for recycling as you disrespectfully and ignorantly recommended to less wealthy users.

I get your point and I know security is underestimated by many users - but forcing them to update by annoying popups that pop up every day (which they do if you don't update everytime) even leads to people getting dumb ideas that are rarely safer than just using software, that is two weeks old and in the meantime already got 10 major updates (I mean - isn't this why we got here and try disabling updates until the end of times because of exactly that reason?).

There are also people who have bad internet or pay for their internet connection per MB (yes, MB, not TB!). Auto-updating is ridiculous, but auto-downloading tons of data and spam my whole computer with shit that I don't want and wasn't even asked for is next level. I was in a project with about 20 people from Europe in a remote place in Central Africa and we paid quite some money to get fast internet there. The first days our internet was gone right after breakfast and in the beginning we couldn't even work properly because it was not very easy to get new data in this place (spending only several weeks for work there, these auto-updates were quite expensive in opportunity cost!). We figured out that all the Windows 10 laptops sucked their daily updates and just wasted all our valuables MB as if they were free coins in a Super Mario world. Took us quite some time to figure out how to disable this crap. Did the developers of Microsoft think that a use case like this would even exist? Maybe. Did they care? Not at all, and so don't you about the other users here. Should they maybe broaden their mind, visit some other countries, spent time with foreign or different people and listen to them, should they try to see beyond their own nose and think of other users and other use-cases? In my opinion, most definitely!

Peace out.
Matthias
Last edited by mathiasl on 2020-04-02 11:11, edited 4 times in total.

mathiasl
First name: Matthias
Last name: L

#10 Post by mathiasl » 2020-04-02 11:05

The demanded solution (for people with less paranoia that acknowledge not using the latest (and probably most secure) version of FilaZilla on their own risk):

1. Close FIleZilla
2. Open your filezilla settings file, e.g. in:
C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\FileZilla\filezilla.xml

3. Change the line:

Code: Select all

<Setting name="Update Check">1</Setting>
into

<Setting name="Update Check">0</Setting>
4. Delete this paragraph (it might be several dozen to hundreds of lines long:

<Setting name="Update Check New Version">...</Setting>
In my case, it ends just before:

<Setting name="Update Check Check Beta">0</Setting>
(which you should also set to "0" if it is "1")

5. Open FileZilla and stay focused on whatever you wanted to do.

KCee
First name: KC
Last name: Hottinga

#11 Post by KCee » 2020-06-29 09:35

What worked for me, was removing all 'update' lines.

cd C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\FileZilla
copy filezilla.xml filezilla_backup.xml

notepad filezilla.xml
<remove all 'update' lines>

burakk
First name: Burak
Last name: K

#12 Post by burakk » 2020-12-31 07:11

@mathiasl THANK YOU! I've registered just to post this thank you.

Whoever designed this truly annoying behavior should immediately go back to design school.

botg
Site Admin

#13 Post by botg » 2020-12-31 08:26

You are following very dangerous advice.

Instead, follow this one: Whoever doesn't update should immediately stop using computers.

justupdate

#14 Post by justupdate » 2022-11-24 12:09

I would also like to add my thanks to @mathiasl, however this method doesn't seem to work anymore. Seems they are quick to patch the workarounds rather than just fix the issue they introduced.

Speaking of "introduced", yeah - they did *introduce* this update annoyance. So, the actual workaround? Downgrade to an even lower version. That's right. If you look at the version history, you can clearly see where they added it ("New features: If checking for updates cannot be performed for a prolonged time, users are warned about using an outdated version"). Just download the version before that, which is Version 3.44.2 (2019-08-15) and you are set! :lol: You'll have to find it elsewhere online because they don't host the older version (wonder why hmmm....)

It's unfortunate that the admins have an *agenda* rather than a *preference*. Ideally it would be best to update, but as others have pointed out, sometimes that isn't always possible. One admin even suggested the workaround was to build the code manually without that check in it (t=53788), which I just find hilarious. Maybe one day, someone will actually do it! Or better yet, a change in leadership happens... :wink:

botg
Site Admin

#15 Post by botg » 2022-11-24 15:10

It is always possible to update. You just have to do it.