Filezilla server and CIFS NAS

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

neelyae
500 Command not understood
First name: Allen

Filezilla server and CIFS NAS

#1 Post by neelyae » 2016-03-09 16:48

I know this question has been asked before but i couldn't find an appropriate answer. My apologize if it does exists and i overlooked it.

Setup:
I have two Windows 2012 R2 VMs on which i would like to run Filezilla server. On the network, i have a NAS with a 750GB CIFS share. On this CIFS share is where i would like to store my FTP files / home directories. Both VM's FZS setups will point to this CIFS share. I cannot run FZS or any other FTP directly on the NAS.

Issue:
I have setup my FZS service to run as an authorized user on the CIFS share and provided the appropriate permissions; however, when i log in as a FTP user, i cannot see or write any files (permissions on the user account in FZS are appropriate as well). I have tried to follow the post here ( viewtopic.php?t=9200 ) but i dont believe that works on 2012. If i create a network location, i cannot browse to it using FZS. I tried also using the actual link file but that doesnt work either.

Is this just not possible with FZS? Much sad face.

neelyae

Re: Filezilla server and CIFS NAS

#2 Post by neelyae » 2016-03-09 18:38

Update:

If i edit the users home directory and manually add \\SERVER\SHARE\SUBFOLDER, everything works. This really isnt ideal and for how deep some of the folders go, isnt really practical. I really hope there is some way around this, I prefer to use Filezilla and would love to use shared storage for it.

neelyae

#3 Post by neelyae » 2016-03-09 18:48

SOLVED:

Whoop whoop! Think i fixed it.

On my 2012 R2 VM, i created a symbolic link to the UNC path of the share. Below is an example

Start > Run > CMD > mklink /D c:/FTP "\\NASSERVER\SHARE\FTP"

Then changed my home folder for my user to go to c:/FTP/HOMEFOLDER and everything seems to be working like a charm!

If this is what is needed to be done to get this to work in Windows Server 2012, i would recommend stickying this because i have seen a few people have this issue.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2016-03-09 18:56

Appended a link to the existing sticky.

pitmancd

#5 Post by pitmancd » 2017-08-04 14:43

In hopes of helping someone else, this is exactly what I did:

1. Make a symbolic link using an elevated command prompt at the root of drive C.

In this example, a folder of "Nas1" will be made at c:\Nas1 which will point to the network drive of "\\nas1\backup\data".

mklink /D \Nas1 "\\nas1\backup\data"

2. From "Services" in the Control Panel (services.msc), stop the ""Filezilla Server FTP Server".

Edit the service's properties, select the "Log On" tab, and enter an account name/password which has read/write access to the network drive.

Restart the service.

3. From FileZilla Server interface, edit Users.
4. Click add and point it to the symbolic link made above (c:\Nas1).
5. After the "Directory" has been added, right-click on the Directory -> Edit Aliases.
6. Give the alias a name (such as /Nas1). This folder will appear in the Home folder when logged into the FTP server.