Removing Bundle Programs from Download

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

ljh48332
500 Command not understood

Removing Bundle Programs from Download

#1 Post by ljh48332 » 2018-01-30 16:43

I downloaded filezilla for mac by pressing the green button at this location: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

I didn't realized until it was too late that there were additional programs being installed. It never asked me if I wanted the additional bundled files and just installed them. Is there a way to tell what exactly was downloaded and remove them from my computer? I noticed that opera and chromium were installed, but I want to make sure nothing else was installed.

Thanks!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Removing Bundle Programs from Download

#2 Post by botg » 2018-01-30 17:28

Every third-party offer is installed in your Applications directory. If there are no other new programs then nothing else has been installed. Just drag to the Trashcan what you don't like to keep.

ljh48332

#3 Post by ljh48332 » 2018-01-30 17:42

botg wrote:Every third-party offer is installed in your Applications directory. If there are no other new programs then nothing else has been installed. Just drag to the Trashcan what you don't like to keep.

Okay great. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't press the wrong install button and have a bunch of malware installed.

JRoberts
First name: Jennifer
Last name: Roberts

#4 Post by JRoberts » 2018-05-04 10:08

I too have discovered Chromium after downloading Filezilla to my Mac. However on start up the day after downloading FileZilla I also received a message on my screen advising me I was opening runchmm for the first time. I can find Chromium in my Applications folder, but not runchmm which I understand is associated with FileZilla. What is runchmm and do I need to panic!

botg
Site Admin

#5 Post by botg » 2018-05-04 10:53

That program is not part of FileZilla.

pabloxco
First name: Juan Pablo
Last name: Pineda

#6 Post by pabloxco » 2018-09-13 00:44

This is heart breaking :( What has the FileZilla project become? So sad, I install the Mac version and I got installed:

- Chromium
- Facebook (WTF?!!! There was an app called Facebook)
- Change my Firefox home page and default search engine.

I'll never use/recommend FileZilla again ... no matter what, it's difficult to trust the project again.

botg
Site Admin

#7 Post by botg » 2018-09-13 07:43

Nothing is installed without consent. If something is being installed then it is because you agreed to it.

The fact that the offer-enabled installer can display offers is clearly disclosed at the start of the installer, also at that point an alternative is mentioned for users that do not wish to use an offer-enabled installer.

Roger_123
First name: r
Last name: r

#8 Post by Roger_123 » 2018-11-01 08:35

Nothing is installed without consent. If something is being installed then it is because you agreed to it.
This is unfortunately not true -- I explicitly opted out of the 'budled offer' however additional software was still installed.
Every third-party offer is installed in your Applications directory.
This is also unfortunately not true - whilst Chromium was added to my Applications directory, the browser extensions that aim to change the homepage and redirect seach traffic on all installed browsers is added to relevent directories in the users Library folder (mac).
Describing this as 'third-party offers' is also somewhat disingenuous -- how is installing Chromium an 'offer' and not just a means of displaying intrusive ads on peoples computers?

I get that this is free software that requires alot of effort to build and maintain but surely theres a better way to support this than by trying to install unwanted additional software in an underhand manner.