How to increase download speeds for dummies....

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

GlockMatherson
500 Command not understood
First name: Glock
Last name: Matherson

How to increase download speeds for dummies....

#1 Post by GlockMatherson » 2018-04-14 15:44

I have gone through as many Google searches and threads here in the forums but so far, I seem to be missing the key answer. Hence the subject: "For Dummies".

Current version of FZ is 3.32.0
Windows 7 Home
ISP speeds: 150MBps
I've tried all 4 levels of "Use Explicit, Use Implicit, Use Plain...."

When using filezilla to download files from a seedbox, I was getting roughly 1.2MBps speeds. Yes, horrible speeds especially when I have broadband 150. After searching our over cluttered WWW, I found a program (which the name of at this moment has slipped my mind) that did some magic and opened my lines. I am now able to download one single file at 20MBps. Not that I'm fully complaining that I'm not happy with 20MBps, I pay for 150MBps downloads and would like to take full advantage of what I pay for. I've already spoken with my ISP and they've done what they can on their end. They don't throttle because (that they said) because it's broadband 150 and unlimited for all.

So, are there any suggestions to assist with increasing my download speeds closer to what I have? I have tried using another FTP program with segmented files option and I am able to get a full 150MBps download sometimes higher but it tends to hang a little too long after all files are completed and putting together.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to hearing thoughts and ideas.

GM.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: How to increase download speeds for dummies....

#2 Post by botg » 2018-04-15 08:39

What is your latency to the server during a transfer? Do you observe any packet loss on the route to the server?

GlockMatherson
First name: Glock
Last name: Matherson

#3 Post by GlockMatherson » 2018-04-15 18:00

If I knew what any of that meant, I'd tell you. LOL. Like I said, dummy here!

I have no errors or any drops as I'm downloading if that's what your asking?

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2018-04-15 18:57

If you ping the server during a transfer (using the ping command), what is the reported latency?

dwight319
504 Command not implemented
First name: DWIGHT
Last name: WILBANKS

#5 Post by dwight319 » 2018-04-24 05:52

botg
First of all, thank you for all your good work, participating in such an excellent product.

On a number of occasions, the topic of increasing speed has come up, with people suggesting that in their real world experience segmented downloads work in other FTP clients.

To each of these, you've defended your position that segmented downloads are not faster, but in fact slower when properly configured.

In each of the threads that I've seen, you've asked the question, what is your latency, to which the non technical people just quit discussing it with you. They don't know what you are asking. I've not seen any of them continue to include actual details of how to configure.

This only leads to someone else asking the same question again in a different thread and you having to respond in another thread.

I humbly suggest that writing a how-to backing up your claims that filezilla can be configured to work as fast or faster than segmented downloads is a better use of your time than responding to each person who disagrees with you.

It's very clear that your knowledge on the matter far exceeds that of the people who disagree with you, but, they don't have access to the information you have.

In my case, I'm using fiber in Philippines, connecting by sftp to a server in Phoenix.
My ping times using windows internal ping are about 170 ms to the server I'm attempting to download from.

My local results on speedtest.net are 49mbps using the closest server with 16ms ping result
My remote results on speedtest.net are 52 mbps using Phoenix (QTS Data Centers) with 185ms ping result

Yes, the speed to phoenix data center is faster than the speed to the speed test server in my ISP's data center (strange)

The server that I'm connecting to has 91mbps using Phoenix (QTS Data Centers) with 2ms ping result.
The server is Centos 6.9 with cpanel

I do have root access to the server, but, am prevented by policy from making any changes on it.

Using all default settings inside Filezilla a single thread downloading a large file gets about 360kbps
Downloading that same file into 5 different directories on the local machine get 360kbps in each of the 5 individual transfers, the first thread did not slow down at all when I added the additional 4 downloads.

How can filezilla be configured to download a single file as fast or faster than sftp clients that use segmented downloads?

dwight319

#6 Post by dwight319 » 2018-05-15 05:32

BUMP

botg
Site Admin

#7 Post by botg » 2018-05-16 08:32

Client-side? Nothing to be done.

Here's a test I made: I'm in central Europe, running a standard Windows 10.

I spawned a very small (t2.micro) Amazon EC2 instance on the West coast of the US, ping about 180ms latency. The instance is running Ubuntu 16.04. On this server I just increased some TCP memory limits and switched to a more modern congestion control algorithm, as the defaults are for running on potatoes with magnetic core memory. I just appended a 0 to most numbers for this quick test, I didn't actually calculate what the actual optimum values would need to be.

Then I started a single transfer using SFTP: Transferring to the server I got between 1.5 and 2 MByte/s (about the maximum my own Internet connection allows).

Downloading a file back from the server I got 10MByte/s, on a single TCP connection.

dwight319

#8 Post by dwight319 » 2018-05-28 12:52

OK, so basically the changes you made to the server are too complicated for people without your skill level.

What were your results before working your magic on the remote server?

botg
Site Admin

#9 Post by botg » 2018-05-28 19:14

The changes you made to the server are too complicated for people without your skill level.
For operating any server, one either knows these things or one hires a skilled professional for the job.
The results were uneducatedly slow.

dwight319

#10 Post by dwight319 » 2018-05-30 09:17

In my case I'm using cpanel. It seems you are saying the makers of cpanel are not knowlegable.

Or, it could also be that what you consider to be basic server configuration is something that they have chosen not to do because of some other tradeoffs. The servers do need to be first and foremost web servers and tuned as such, for serving high volume web sites.

botg
Site Admin

#11 Post by botg » 2018-05-31 07:39

cpanel :shock:, no comment.

PabloLobo
First name: Paul
Last name: Lupa

#12 Post by PabloLobo » 2019-10-26 17:10

dwight319 wrote:
2018-05-28 12:52
OK, so basically the changes you made to the server are too complicated for people without your skill level.

I often deal with large file download ( single file 10+ ) over a fast network with a significant delay (100+ms). So I am up against a large bandwidth-delay product. The server is *NOT* under my control and the only solution that I have discovered is 'segmented downloads'. Normally I use the feature "pget" in the application "lftp".

I understand that one tool cannot do *everything* but is 'segmented' downloads under consideration?

Or is there an option on the client side that I'm missing?

Thanks!

dwight319

#13 Post by dwight319 » 2020-04-14 07:29

Hi PabloLobo

it looks like botg is the head cheese in charge, the leader, the and the head dude all wrapped up in one. He seems to be the one doing the development and doing the support, so, for that we've all give him the props.

The topic of segmented downloads keeps coming up, its been begged for both here and other places, and the consistent answer has been NO. Not now, not later, not ever, and that your server is configured wrong, and ....
one either knows these things or one hires a skilled professional for the job.
I'm in a bit different situation in that I do have some control over my server environment, but, I must be able to tell the server admin something more than "the guy from Filezilla says you don't know your sht". Based on the performance of FileZilla (I've been a long time user) it should, but, it does not.

I'd really like to have the ability to write a plugin to replace the engine used for various features.

File/Import could add a type define alternate file handlers for various operations.