Is This A Virus? Update Screen Says "InMotion Hosting" and Auto Downloaded File

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Monique
500 Command not understood
First name: Monique
Last name: Monique

Is This A Virus? Update Screen Says "InMotion Hosting" and Auto Downloaded File

#1 Post by Monique » 2018-07-26 03:28

Hi,

Two (2) questions please:

1) Upon opening FileZilla, a screen appears that says "InMotion Hosting" and a file was automatically downloaded to my Download Directory. I don't know who "InMotion Hosting" is. Is this a legitimate updating screen and downloaded file?

2) How can I prevent files (such as above) from automatically downloading into my system ?

Thank you for your prompt reply.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Is This A Virus? Update Screen Says "InMotion Hosting" and Auto Downloaded File

#2 Post by botg » 2018-07-26 07:11

There's nothing to worry about.

The file that is downloaded is just the new version of FileZilla. Please update to the most recent version.

The update dialog may show sponsored content, see https://filezilla-project.org/sponsored_updates.php. InMotion is one of the sponsors.

Muad`Dib
500 Command not understood

Re: Is This A Virus? Update Screen Says "InMotion Hosting" and Auto Downloaded File

#3 Post by Muad`Dib » 2018-11-23 19:18

I have my FileZilla update settings set to Never. Yet I still get the "New version available!" notification in the menu bar, the InMotion advertising, and the latest version automatically downloaded to what FileZIlla "thinks" is my download folder (which is NOT where I save downloads, but I don't want it downloaded and/or saved anywhere automatically). None of this is acceptable with the update setting at Never. How can I change this so that none of the above happens? FYI, I am currently running v3.37.3 x64 under W7 Pro.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2018-11-23 19:32

There is a big difference between checking for updates and presenting known updates.