Feature Request: Transfer Convert File Names To Lower Case

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

suntower
500 Command not understood

Feature Request: Transfer Convert File Names To Lower Case

#1 Post by suntower » 2018-10-05 23:49

Hi,

I would like an option to convert file names to lower case during transfer. I work in Windows, but all the files at our web sites are Linux. It would eliminate a lot of user errors if we could ensure that all files on the server are always in lower case.

I've seen this in other FTP programs and I'm frankly a little surprised it's -not- a feature option in FileZilla.

Thanks in advance.

---JC

Shurlock
First name: Peter

Re: Feature Request: Transfer Convert File Names To Lower Case

#2 Post by Shurlock » 2019-07-09 08:30

I would also appreciate such an option. Hope to find it in an update soon.
Thnx in advance.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2019-07-10 06:32

It's not as simple as it might seem. Lowercase according to which locale? What about the closely related issue Unicode case normalization, which normal form should be used?

How to deal with transfers in the other direction? Should it undo the lowercasing, or treat it as a different file?

suntower

#4 Post by suntower » 2019-07-10 07:04

botg wrote:
2019-07-10 06:32

It's not as simple as it might seem. Lowercase according to which locale? What about the closely related issue Unicode case normalization, which normal form should be used?

How to deal with transfers in the other direction? Should it undo the lowercasing, or treat it as a different file?
Thanks for replying. I posted this request a loooooooooong time ago.

With all due respect, this was a feature I saw implemented in FTP programs for Windows and Mac going back to 199x. In fact, it was so common that when I first started using Filezilla I was completely surprised that you did -not- have this feature. I kept searching and searching thinking it -must- be in the program!

Are you trying to say that you don't want to consider doing it unless you can be compatible with -all- encoding schemes and language character sets? As self-centered as it may sound, I think if you made it compatible with the typical 'English' character sets and encoding you'd make a TON (if not the vast majority) of users extremely happy.

Best.

---JC

Shurlock
First name: Peter

#5 Post by Shurlock » 2019-07-12 10:48

suntower wrote:
I think if you made it compatible with the typical 'English' character sets and encoding you'd make a TON (if not the vast majority) of users extremely happy
I fully agree! If implemented as an option, there should not be any problem for anyone.

Thanks in advance! :wink: