dot files not shown even when "Show hidden files" is checked

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

zaur005
500 Command not understood
First name: Zaur
Last name: Naghiyev

dot files not shown even when "Show hidden files" is checked

#1 Post by zaur005 » 2016-12-29 17:20

Hello, I really tired struggling with the issue.

My OS: MacOS Sierra 10.12
Filezilla client: 3.23

As you see in this screen http://screencast.com/t/9GxLYlEUpM I've checked "Force Showing Hidden files". Despite of that .htaccess or any dot files are hidden. In fact they are there, because I can override with uploading.

I thought maybe something wrong with my OS, I installed another FTP client Cyberduck, and that ftp client show .htacces file. So there is something wrong with Filezilla on my Mac.

Can you please help?

boco
Contributor

Re: dot files not shown even when "Show hidden files" is checked

#2 Post by boco » 2016-12-30 04:21

That option is an artifact from a gone-by era where FTP servers supported only LIST for getting server listings. A few facts:

1. The feature relies on a unofficial extension to LIST (LIST -a) and is thus not guaranteed to work, even on that old servers. Officially, it doesn't exist at all.
2. Some servers have special handling for dotfiles (especially .htaccess and .htpasswd) and will never show them, no matter what.
3. All halfway modern FTP servers do support the MLSD command for getting listings and FileZilla prefers that well-defined command. On such FTP servers, the "Show hidden files" option will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. There is no equivalent MLSD command to LIST -a, not even an unofficial one.

The other clients probably still use LIST -a and thus show the files in this special case.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2016-12-30 09:31

TL;DR: Contact server administrator or server hosting provider to have the server configured to not hide files from you.

zaur005

#4 Post by zaur005 » 2016-12-30 11:14

botg wrote:TL;DR: Contact server administrator or server hosting provider to have the server configured to not hide files from you.
As I mentioned in my post, it is not server or my os matter, because with another ftp client connection to the same server host .htaccess is shown. This is purely related to Firezilla.

zaur005

#5 Post by zaur005 » 2016-12-30 11:16

boco wrote:That option is an artifact from a gone-by era where FTP servers supported only LIST for getting server listings. A few facts:

1. The feature relies on a unofficial extension to LIST (LIST -a) and is thus not guaranteed to work, even on that old servers. Officially, it doesn't exist at all.
2. Some servers have special handling for dotfiles (especially .htaccess and .htpasswd) and will never show them, no matter what.
3. All halfway modern FTP servers do support the MLSD command for getting listings and FileZilla prefers that well-defined command. On such FTP servers, the "Show hidden files" option will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. There is no equivalent MLSD command to LIST -a, not even an unofficial one.

The other clients probably still use LIST -a and thus show the files in this special case.
So, what is solution to have Filezilla show .htaccess files? I have more than 100 ftp sites do I contact each? :)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2016-12-30 12:23

zaur005 wrote:So, what is solution to have Filezilla show .htaccess files? I have more than 100 ftp sites do I contact each? :)
botg wrote:TL;DR: Contact server administrator or server hosting provider to have the server configured to not hide files from you.

JMGSE
First name: Jörg
Last name: Günther

#7 Post by JMGSE » 2018-11-23 21:06

I have the same problem .... :(
With the "installed serveradmin file handling" I can see them all but not with Filezilla but earlyer it was possible.
Don´t know since det dosn´t.
WBR
Jörg

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2018-11-23 22:40

Please check your directory listing filters (menu View), the "configurations files" filter must be disabled because it hides all files starting with a dot.

If that doesn't fix it or is already unchecked, botg's statement is still valid: Contact server support to have the server NOT hiding any files from you. FileZilla can only show items the server sends in listings.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org