Local directory tree problem

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Couin
500 Command not understood

Local directory tree problem

#1 Post by Couin » 2019-01-03 16:01

Hi all,

Happy new year :)

I'm Couin from France, near from Paris.

I registered on the forum because I don't find any answer to my problem on the web.

Here is my configuration :

I have a Ubuntu network machine with Apache/PHP/MySQL on it.
I have a copy of a website on it.
I have a Windows 10 64bits (1803) machine where I have software to edit my copy of the website.

Once modifications are OK, I usually send the modified files on the website hoster, via FTP with FileZilla.

I recently changed my win10 machin for another and reinstalled the last Win10 (1809), and the last FZ Client.

The problem I encounter since this, is that in the local directory tree, I can only display the local drives.
In the "local site" address, I set "\\ubuntu\www\" to go to the "www" share of my ubuntu server, and usually, the local directory tree area was displaying folders that are in "www". It's usefull to navigate

Since my new machine, even if I set "\\ubuntu\www\" in the "local site" address, the local directory tree area still displaying my local drives.

I don't find the reason of this.
Do you have an idea to resolve this ?

PS : Sorry for my poor english ;)

boco
Contributor

Re: Local directory tree problem

#2 Post by boco » 2019-01-03 23:00

Simple: MS f*cked with their network protocols, yet again.

First, they deprecated the old SMB network protocol. It is still present in Windows 10.17763 (1809) but is disabled by default. If your Ubuntu Samba server only supports SMBv1 (or is configured for it) you would need to activate SMBv1 first in Windows Optional Features.

There might be a second issue making your Samba machine invisible. To fix that, go into the Service Control Panel (services.msc) and set the Start type of the "Function Discovery Resource Publication service" to Automatic. Start the service manually or restart the Windows machine.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Couin

#3 Post by Couin » 2019-01-04 01:01

Hi Dear,

Thanks for interesting to my problem.

You are right about SMB1 disabled in 1809. I discovered it after Win10 install , because I wasn't able to browse my ubuntu shared folders on the network. I enabled it and it has been OK after.
smb.jpg
smb.jpg (12.09 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
network.jpg
network.jpg (5.85 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

"Function Discovery Resource Publication service" was disabled, I set on Automatic and restarted Win10, but I still get the same problem :(
fz1.jpg
fz1.jpg (34.98 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2019-01-04 07:49

The local directory tree never displays UNC paths for performance reasons. Should a server be unreachable, FileZilla would hang for several minutes on every refresh.

Couin

#5 Post by Couin » 2019-01-04 15:22

Hi Dear,

Thanks for your answer :)
I don't know what exactly are UNC paths but I know it was OK with my previous machine :(

The workaround I found is mapping a drive letter to \\192.168.0.250\www .

But any suggestion to resolve my problem without mapping a drive still always welcome :)

Thanks !
Couin

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2019-01-05 02:22

UNC is the Uniform Naming Convention.

UNC paths are the ones using the

Code: Select all

\\server\resource
syntax.

Well, if the mapped drive works, so should directly entering the UNC path. Mapping is only a shortcut to the resource. You have to type it by hand, as network resources are not shown to avoid delays. That ability was removed quite a long time ago (just in case you used a very ancient FileZilla on the old machine).
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org