error messages in the latest version

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: error messages in the latest version

#16 Post by botg » 2019-02-07 09:17

Well, congratulations, you got assigned an IP address by your VPN provider from a range of addresses abused by spammers. ;)
But while connected through VPN I tried uploading files again with 'Use explicit FTP over TLS if available' settings that was problematic before, and now no problems, no disconnecting and no errors and it goes FAST! :D
Could your own ISP be the source of the problems? Some do very odd, even malicious things.

mr108
504 Command not implemented

#17 Post by mr108 » 2019-02-08 02:05

botg wrote:
2019-02-07 09:17
Could your own ISP be the source of the problems? Some do very odd, even malicious things.
Maybe. I don't know how to check/detect it.

sudoranger
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Sudo
Last name: Ranger

#18 Post by sudoranger » 2019-02-09 17:03

Hello, sorry to bother you @botg

I want to ask:

What's the point of having a client supporting TLS 1.3 whilst the (incompetent) server isn't. I mean if only we have FileZilla server for Linux I'll certainly pay for the Pro version. However, some of the popular FTP servers (for Linux) namely...

1. vsftpd
2. pure-ftpd
3. proftpd

...all went crazy the past few weeks just because FileZilla 3.40 added support for TLS 1.3 --- That said, since I noticed you took the initiative to explore deep into their source code, can you kindly do some PRs to fix those servers? Disabling TLS 1.3 isn't the way it should be like; this is more like the "downgrading" stuff and backward compatibility. While, I appreciate the way you move forward there has to be something that can be done on the server side... I mean we can't order drink if the waitress isn't taking order right...

I use psftp --- scp occasionally at the moment because non of these servers are working with 3.40 (of course) in TLS mode. Of course, I wouldn't take the risk to disable TLS that would be dumb and indeed a terrible advise from the hosting provider. I agree with you that we have to move forward. If the server is not responding (don't understand German), then something is wrong. I totally get your messages across the forum. I think there has been more than 10 issues related to TLS in this forum alone. I waited for a new release from those server's repository but still nothing up until now. I wonder how cPanel is handling this issue since they have a lot of paying customers and they would've notice the pureftpd/proftpd is breaking up... Most probably they also suggest their customers to not use FileZilla well that's a bummer but it's just my assumption.

Please, help me out. What's the best workaround here. Talking to the FTP server's developers is like talking to the wall. I get better replies/responds from you here and simple to understand the underlying problem.

Thank you... I bought the pro version btw, that's why I'm still one of FileZilla die hard fans... other clients are well, you know... ancient...

botg
Site Admin

#19 Post by botg » 2019-02-11 06:58

That said, since I noticed you took the initiative to explore deep into their source code, can you kindly do some PRs to fix those servers?
The Problem Reports already exist for all of these.

What boggles me is, why can't these server authors create a simple bugfix release just containing a fix for this critical issue, based on the previous released version? Shouldn't take them more than a few minutes. Last time I checked they don't even provide compiled binaries so they don't even have to wait for their code compiling.

sudoranger

#20 Post by sudoranger » 2019-02-12 00:17

I’ll take that as no? 😂

P/s well those server authors are lame their last “stable” release was back in 2015 which is now obviously “unstable” 🤷‍♂️

boco
Contributor

#21 Post by boco » 2019-02-12 07:46

If the PRs exist and are ignored by the devs, what else to try? At least, for OSS, there's always the chance of getting an actively developed fork.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

sudoranger

#22 Post by sudoranger » 2019-02-12 14:35

boco wrote:
2019-02-12 07:46
If the PRs exist and are ignored by the devs, what else to try?
you're god damn right @boco nothing much we can do at our side too...

pls, i don't mean to hijack this thread but since we are at this topic.. perhaps u can give me a short answer as to why are you guys not providing filezilla server for linux but only windows? it seems that i'm pretty desperate now and looking for alternatives that not only work but superb support from the dev (not the sleeping ones)...

boco
Contributor

#23 Post by boco » 2019-02-12 15:50

Pretty straightforward answer: FileZilla Server is still the old code base. While FileZilla Client already got the well deserved rewrite from scratch (FileZilla 2.x was Windows-only as well), the Server didn't get it so far.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

sudoranger

#24 Post by sudoranger » 2019-07-12 03:01

i hope to see a FZ server (FOSS and premium) for Linux (Ubuntu-my choice) and I'm also willing to pay for a subscription fee for support if this ever going to happen in the future. thanks and love you both.

botg
Site Admin

#25 Post by botg » 2019-07-12 06:44

A lot of the work that went into libfilezilla recently is in preparation of a server rewrite.

sudoranger

#26 Post by sudoranger » 2019-07-19 18:32

botg wrote:
2019-07-12 06:44
A lot of the work that went into libfilezilla recently is in preparation of a server rewrite.
This is surely one of the best news I read this whole week. Feeling hopeful at the same time worshiping the FZ Gods for bringing the server to Linux. 😍

botg
Site Admin

#27 Post by botg » 2019-07-20 21:21

Instead of wasting time with worship, may I suggest you do overtime at work and split the payout 50/50 with me ;)