Wrong local files/folder

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

The Last Frontier
504 Command not implemented
First name: Dave
Last name: N

Wrong local files/folder

#1 Post by The Last Frontier » 2019-04-05 01:19

Hi

I did a system restore today and was reinstalling programs and got to Filezilla and after installing I noticed it is pulling up all the wrong files/folders in some area.

Like I have my websites folder in the MY DOCUMENTS folder but when I call that up it instead displays
  • My Music
  • My Pictures
  • My Videos
None of which are in MY DOCUMENTS.

Does anyone know why it is pulling up a totally wrong directory? I tried both the newest version and also a known working older version and same results.

And I know I am in my hard drive and not some other are as the computer name in the local drive address bar is correct.

Thoughts?

Dave

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Wrong local files/folder

#2 Post by botg » 2019-04-05 08:46

Are you by chance running FileZilla under a different user account?

The Last Frontier

#3 Post by The Last Frontier » 2019-04-05 15:44

No as I said at the end I know I am on the right portion of my drive as I have it set for all users and I went into the portion of the drive that is my user name.

I installed another FTP program and went right to the same spot on the drive and found my files and folders right where they should be.

Besides
  • MY PHOTO
  • MY MUSIC
  • MY VIDEOS
should not be coming up in MY DOCUMENTS as these are all separate libraries not inside one another like that.

They should be listed like this
  • MY PHOTO
  • MY MUSIC
  • MY VIDEOS
  • MY DOCUMENTS
Not
  • MY DOCUMENTS
    • MY PHOTO
    • MY MUSIC
    • MY VIDEOS
Then inside MY DOCUMENTS should be my documents files and folders including my WEBSITES folder as has always been on past installs. I've been using filezilla for years so not new to me at all I know how to get around the file system.

Also just out of curiosity I did check the default user accounts and such just in case there was some sort of issue with my computers restore and such but the fact that I was able to go right to the folder in the other FTP program shows it's a filezilla specific issue.

I would rather be using filezilla as don't really like the new one but I did have to find an alternative as had files to upload last night

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2019-04-06 10:27

FileZilla shows directory contents as they truly are. If these directories show up in "My Documents" it is because Windows says they are in that directory.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2019-04-06 12:40

They ARE there (as Junctions to the real directories). The difference is that FileZilla will not hide anything like Windows does.

Just make the test: Open the directory in Explorer, call Folder options, make sure "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is selected, and make sure that "Hide protected operating system files" is NOT checked. You'll see them, then.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

The Last Frontier

#6 Post by The Last Frontier » 2019-04-06 16:42

botg wrote:
2019-04-06 10:27
FileZilla shows directory contents as they truly are. If these directories show up in "My Documents" it is because Windows says they are in that directory.
Not in this case.

None of the folders mentioned are in MY DOCUMENTS as I said these 3 folders are in the root directory not in my documents. In fact the FTP program I ended up using is showing these 3 directories properly in the root director the only files/folders being displayed inside MY DOCUMENTS is the files and folders I created including my website folder.

Filezilla is not displaying any of these. So something is not right with how filezilla is pulling up the directory.

This isn't the first time I have reinstalled filezilla be it on a new system or a restored system and it has always pulled up the proper directory listing right from the start except on this last restore I just did

The Last Frontier

#7 Post by The Last Frontier » 2019-04-06 16:43

boco wrote:
2019-04-06 12:40
They ARE there (as Junctions to the real directories). The difference is that FileZilla will not hide anything like Windows does.

Just make the test: Open the directory in Explorer, call Folder options, make sure "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is selected, and make sure that "Hide protected operating system files" is NOT checked. You'll see them, then.
All my files and folders are unhidden and extensions shown besides the library folders are not hidden folders and none of the folders I create are hidden so doing this would not help find the folder.

But either way I unhid folders ages ago

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2019-04-06 18:06

I checked and I have them. They are super-hidden (SYSTEM+HIDDEN attribute set), so a normal unhide won't reveal them. Only unchecking the "Hide protected operating system files" makes them appear. Alas, they are not directories, only directory junctions (a pointer to a directory elsewhere). Windows creates such crap all over the place, for compatibility reasons.

The Last Frontier

#9 Post by The Last Frontier » 2019-04-07 00:20

boco wrote:
2019-04-06 18:06
I checked and I have them. They are super-hidden (SYSTEM+HIDDEN attribute set), so a normal unhide won't reveal them. Only unchecking the "Hide protected operating system files" makes them appear. Alas, they are not directories, only directory junctions (a pointer to a directory elsewhere). Windows creates such crap all over the place, for compatibility reasons.
Didn't work as I said as these are not system specific files there are just library files and fact is my explorer does not show anything but my own created folders and files in the documents folder where as filezilla is showing folders that are not in the documents folder and in fact not showing any of the files and folders I have in that folder.

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2019-04-07 20:59

FileZilla displays what the operating system says is there. If the items (which are auto-created in each user's Documents directory) indeed do not exist on your system, then the operating system tells lies. The operating system is a higher level as FileZilla is, thus FileZilla can do absolutely nothing against wrong data fed by the OS.

The Last Frontier

#11 Post by The Last Frontier » 2019-04-07 21:19

boco wrote:
2019-04-07 20:59
FileZilla displays what the operating system says is there. If the items (which are auto-created in each user's Documents directory) indeed do not exist on your system, then the operating system tells lies. The operating system is a higher level as FileZilla is, thus FileZilla can do absolutely nothing against wrong data fed by the OS.
If that were true then the other FTP program I have had to use would be doing the same thing. But only filezilla is doing this!

Never did this in the past when i rstored my system only now and only filezilla is misrepresenting what is in the folders. That is why I am trying to find out why it is doing this as it is giving ou false directory listings!

botg
Site Admin

#12 Post by botg » 2019-04-08 07:00

Open cmd.exe, cd into the directory of interest and type dir /A

The Last Frontier

#13 Post by The Last Frontier » 2019-04-08 14:42

botg wrote:
2019-04-08 07:00
Open cmd.exe, cd into the directory of interest and type dir /A
OK Doing that I do see what was being referenced in above posts. Weird part I noticed is this in Windows Explorer if I click on DOCUMENTS in the library area on the left panel of the window I get all my files and folders as I should.

But if I go into C:\Users\scott\Documents I get
  • MY PHOTO
  • MY MUSIC
  • MY VIDEOS
So question is why am I getting two different listings for the Documents folder?

And secondly where the C:\Users\scott\Documents is giving me a bad listing of files and folders how do I access the documents folder? Can this be done in filezilla or will this be a windows issue?

The Last Frontier

#14 Post by The Last Frontier » 2019-04-09 01:12

Issues resolved turns out Microsoft OneDrive was causing me several headaches once uninstalled they all got resolved!!

botg
Site Admin

#15 Post by botg » 2019-04-09 06:58

Shameless plug: I recommend using FileZilla Pro to access OneDrive.