FTP server passes test on ftptest.net...however, I cannot connect to the server

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

dagrin
500 Command not understood
First name: Nathan
Last name: Richardson

FTP server passes test on ftptest.net...however, I cannot connect to the server

#1 Post by dagrin » 2019-05-13 19:48

I've set up my FTP server on my server machine behind a NAT router/DSL modem combo. I have the general settings listen on port set to 50101 for the active connection. For the passive mode settings, I have input my static IP address that the router receives from the ISP and the port range is set to 50000-50101. Both I can use my local LAN IP to connect to the server from in side my local LAN. i used the http://tftptest.net and it passes, but with some warnings. I am using the "allow explicit FTP over TLS" checked and i have a local certificate that works FTP over Tls is also listening on port 990. All of the above listed ports are forwarded on the router/modem combo. Pasted below are the results from the ftptest.net test, I have removed the IPs, user/pass and city/state locations from the certificate and replaced with "x":
Warning: Selected port (50101) is not the default port (21) of the selected protocol.

Warning: The entered address does not resolve to an IPv6 address.

Reply: 220-Dagrin's FTP

Reply: 220-

Reply: 220 FileZilla Server 0.9.56 beta

Command: CLNT https://ftptest.net on behalf of x.x.x.x

Reply: 200 Don't care

Command: AUTH TLS

Reply: 234 Using authentication type TLS

Status: cert[0]: subject='CN=x.x.x.x,C=US,ST=state,L=city,EMAIL=xxxx@xxxx.com' issuer='CN=x.x.x.x,C=US,ST=state,L=city,EMAIL=xxxx@xxxx.com'

Command: USER xxxx

Reply: 331 Password required for xxxx

Command: PASS xxxxxx

Reply: 230 Logged on

Command: SYST

Reply: 215 UNIX emulated by FileZilla

Command: FEAT

Reply: 211-Features:

Reply: MDTM

Reply: REST STREAM

Reply: SIZE

Reply: MLST type*;size*;modify*;

Reply: MLSD

Reply: AUTH SSL

Reply: AUTH TLS

Reply: PROT

Reply: PBSZ

Reply: UTF8

Reply: CLNT

Reply: MFMT

Reply: EPSV

Reply: EPRT

Reply: 211 End

Command: PBSZ 0

Reply: 200 PBSZ=0

Command: PROT P

Reply: 200 Protection level set to P

Command: PWD

Reply: 257 "/" is current directory.

Command: TYPE I

Reply: 200 Type set to I

Command: PASV

Reply: 227 Entering Passive Mode (x,x,x,x,195,96)

Command: MLSD

Status: Data connection established, performing TLS handshake...

Status: cert[0]: subject='CN=x.x.x.x,C=US,ST=Missouri,L=Kissee Mills,EMAIL=xxxx@xxxx.com' issuer='CN=x.x.x.x,C=US,ST=State,L=City,EMAIL=xxxxxx@xxxx.com'

Status: TLS session of transfer connection has been resumed.

Reply: 150 Opening data channel for directory listing of "/"

Reply: 226 Successfully transferred "/"

Results

Your server is working and assorted routers/firewalls have been correctly configured for explicit FTP over TLS as performed by this test. However there have been warnings about compatibility issues, not all users will be able to use your server.

For maximum compatibility, consider resolving these warnings.

I am not expert by any means, but I am obviously missing something. Can anyone provide any suggestions for things to try? I would be most appreciative.

boco
Contributor

Re: FTP server passes test on ftptest.net...however, I cannot connect to the server

#2 Post by boco » 2019-05-13 20:39

There is no actual problem I can see.

Warning #1: Default port for FTP is 21 (or 990 for FTPS Implicit). You are using a different (custom) port. So, clients need to enter the port when connecting. That's no problem.
Warning #2: You do not seem to have IPv6 connection (or the server doesn't bind to any IPv6 address). Clients with a pure IPv6-only connection cannot reach you. Currently, such clients are very uncommon, however, it will be a problem in the future, as they will be on the increase.

Due to the way NAT works, you simply cannot use the external IP or the URL of your server to connect, as long as you are in the same LAN as the server is in. You must use the local LAN IP of the server, instead.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

dagrin
500 Command not understood
First name: Nathan
Last name: Richardson

Re: FTP server passes test on ftptest.net...however, I cannot connect to the server

#3 Post by dagrin » 2019-05-13 21:35

boco wrote:
2019-05-13 20:39
There is no actual problem I can see.

Warning #1: Default port for FTP is 21 (or 990 for FTPS Implicit). You are using a different (custom) port. So, clients need to enter the port when connecting. That's no problem.
Warning #2: You do not seem to have IPv6 connection (or the server doesn't bind to any IPv6 address). Clients with a pure IPv6-only connection cannot reach you. Currently, such clients are very uncommon, however, it will be a problem in the future, as they will be on the increase.

Due to the way NAT works, you simply cannot use the external IP or the URL of your server to connect, as long as you are in the same LAN as the server is in. You must use the local LAN IP of the server, instead.
I can get to it locally via the machine local LAN IP. It is only outside my NAT on the internet that I cannot reach it. the ftptest.net site can reach it and I see it login on the Filezilla Server window. but nothing else can seem to get to the server. I've tried using the 990 and 50101 port in the connection and they all just time out. Unfortunately, that vast majority of the instances where i want to use my server is when i am traveling for work and need to access the FTP.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2019-05-14 01:01

If the ftptest site says the configuration is OK, then it is (it behaves exactly like a real FTP client would). So, the server either works or it does not. Yours does work.

Of course, the test is only for the server. We cannot vouch for your client and client machine. What client do you use?

+ FileZilla or other standards-conformant clients will work fine.

- The Windows ftp.exe will most probably fail as it does not support Passive Mode and cannot be configured.

- Browsers will not work as they do not support FTP over TLS, at all.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org