Moderator: Project members

dogfood09
500 Command not understood
First name: Steve
Last name: Mann

Transfer Speed

#1 Post by dogfood09 » 2019-06-11 12:23

Hi Guys ,

Ive run into my first issue , My single file transfer speeds are incredible slow, ave 3.8MiB/s , where as before they were at 27.8 MiB/s! , if i have concurrent downloads then im hitting my maximum bandwith at 28MiB/s but for some reason and i dont believe ive adjusted anything my single file transfers are so slow? Is there something i am missing?? or anything i can do?

Many thanks

Sorry if this is a noob question , i did scour the forums first

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Transfer Speed

#2 Post by botg » 2019-06-11 14:49

Could the server be congested?

dogfood09

#3 Post by dogfood09 » 2019-06-11 15:20

Not too sure about that , i can download at full speed when ive selected multiple files , but a single file , no matter what file i try is extremley slow

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2019-06-11 22:31

Is it FTP over TLS or SFTP? Or only plain FTP?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

dogfood09

#5 Post by dogfood09 » 2019-06-12 08:20

Its FTP over TLS

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2019-06-12 22:22

Is the limit consistent for every additional file? So it is 2 x 3.8MiB/s for two files? If yes, it may be traffic shaping by the ISP, or a per-connection-limit on the server.

FTP over TLS is unknown traffic to the ISP. It might get confused by them with other types of encrypted traffic, like P2P, and thus limited.

dogfood09

#7 Post by dogfood09 » 2019-06-13 08:16

Hi , yeah , if i selected 10 files to fransfer they all download at 3.8MiB/s , Ive heard it has something to do with the ISP , my single threaded download hits 49mb , where as my multi threaded download hits 220mb , will be call the ISP to see if anything can be done , as it never used to do that until i upgraded my line

danbrown24
First name: daniel
Last name: brown

#8 Post by danbrown24 » 2019-06-24 22:09

My transfer speeds are really slow, arond 2.0MiB/s i don't know if there's a way to fix this

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2019-06-25 01:11

Depends. What speed should it be?

- Note that ISPs advertise in Mib/s (Megabits/sec). You need to divide by 8 to get the MiB/s (MegaBytes/s) speed.
- Upload speed is usually lower as download speed.
- Server or network congestion can greatly lower speeds. The slowest link in the chain determines the speed reached.

goosar19

#10 Post by goosar19 » 2020-08-14 06:20

I too had a similar issue as described above (and am currently having the same issue on my parents computer). I could connect to the server using FTP over TLS and could max out my internet connection of 100Mbps if I allowed 10 simultaneous downloads but if I allowed say only 1 simultaneous download, the download would peak at only 2.0MB/s. This is far from what I should be able to receive a file at. I ensured I had no speed limits enabled and was transferring the files to a SSD. I have a Phenom II X6 1100T processor with 16GB of RAM. Each additional simultaneous download is also capped at 2.0MB/s. I can keeps stacking multiple simultaneous downloads until my connection is saturated, then the download speeds will be limited to the maximum bandwidth available from my ISP, however no download is able to exceed 2.0MB/s. I have checked router settings, enabled and disabled QoS, made sure UPnP was enabled and at one point even configured manual port forwarding in the router to no avail. My computer is a wired connection to the router. I got fed up with the slow speeds and one day removed the router from the equation and connected my modem directly to my computer via ethernet and low and behold my single file transfer speeds were now able to saturate the ISP connection. I spent many hours with DLink technical support but they were never able to reach a conclusion as to what was causing the issue. I have since moved on to another router (Netgear R8000P) and no longer have the issue of slow transfer speeds when connected through my network, leading me to believe it was not a configuration issue with Filezilla or the Windows Firewall, though I cannot be 100% certain as I am not a network engineer nor do I understand all aspects of UPnP.

I am now having the same problem with my parents computer and am suspecting that the router is the issue but I have yet to perform the troubleshooting again for their computer. I am unable to remember what version of Filezilla I was running when I first noticed the issue on my computer (though I know it was the latest stable version available at the time), however I have ensured that my parents are running the latest stable release on their computer (3.49.1) and they are still having the same problem I was. Listed below are the specs I am able to provide currently. I hope this helps someone figure out why some people have this issue while others don't and whether this is a software bug or a hardware one.

(Problem Configuration)
Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Mobo
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T CPU
16GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (Running at 1333MHz)
Using onboard Gigabit NIC (Wired)
Charter/Spectrum provided modem
D-Link DIR-825 rev B router
D-Link DGS-2208 Gigabit switch
Filezilla - Latest stable version available at the time
Using FTP over TLS with normal logon type
Other connection settings left as default (except "concurrent transfer" options altered)

(Working Configuration - Same as above less the local networking hardware)
Other connection settings left as default (except "concurrent transfer" options altered)

(Also Working Configuration - Same as problem configuration but with different router)
Netgear R8000P Gigabit router
D-Link DGS-2208 Gigabit switch

If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing these seemingly arbitrary limitations, be it software or hardware related, please post your suggestion. I am still in need of fixing my parent's issue. The router they have is rented through the ISP and I do not have the credentials to login (and might not even be able to - the ISP may require that they make the changes) so I would need specific options to tell them to change. Please do not respond with generic answers like "the router is the problem" as not only is that what I already suspect but it does not give me anywhere to start on correcting the issue. Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated as it appears I am not the only one with this issue.

Please and Thanks,
Justin

boco
Contributor

#11 Post by boco » 2020-08-14 09:04

Please note that FileZilla products do not (and probably never will) make any use of UPnP. Not needed; personally, I regard it as a security vulnerability.

Also note that the hardware is pretty dated. The Phenom II X6 was once a very good CPU (I still own a 1090T), but it has neither AVX nor AES support, to my knowledge. That means, FTP over TLS will probably run at higher CPU usage and be a bit slower for modern cipher suites (because cryptographic operation need to be done in software rather than by the CPU directly). Note that AMD-FX (Bulldozer and up) supports AVX and AES.

The ISP might do traffic shaping (per-connection-cap) through their routers. The exact cap of 2.0MB/s strongly hints to an artificial limitation, as technical saturation would wildly fluctuate in speed. Removing the router or bridging it seems to lift the restriction, though. No real idea what to do as they probably won't admit it.