This server does not support FTP over TLS

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

jhaber3
550 File not found
First name: John
Last name: Haber

This server does not support FTP over TLS

#1 Post by jhaber3 » 2019-07-04 13:10

I never saw that message before, but since the last Filezilla upgrade it comes up every time I try to use ftp for my own Web site's domain host. I've tried checking the box in that pop-up window for "Always allow insecure plain FTP for this server," and I won't see the message again if I try again during the same Filezilla session. But as soon as I quit Filezilla and come back to use it again, the pop-up once again appears. It's annoying.

I've also checked in Site Manager, and that site is set to use FTP over TLS "if available." It is not, then, incorrectly set to require it. But I still get the message. I've also looked in the boards here and I'm afraid didn't understand the answers. Thanks for help!

boco
Contributor

Re: This server does not support FTP over TLS

#2 Post by boco » 2019-07-04 15:28

Working exactly as intended.

You must have updated from a fairly old version, as the warning is in place for quite some time. You cannot disable it permanently, that's by design. A friendly reminder that your hoster doesn't care about your security and everything, including passwords, is transmitted in plain text across the Internet.

There is (currently) a workaround: Set Encryption for that server in the Site Manager to "Only use Plain FTP (Insecure)". Solution: Get a host that cares about your security and offers FTP over TLS (or SFTP).
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

jhaber3
550 File not found

#3 Post by jhaber3 » 2019-07-04 15:44

Thanks, although I promise I update regularly. It warns me automatically of new releases, and I always install them (although generally later on, after I'm finished my session). And truly odd that checking that box doesn't suppress the warning. Taken literally, surely it should, no? Indeed, otherwise, why is it there, since one can always click OK to continue without checking the box. Oh, well.

jhaber3
550 File not found

#4 Post by jhaber3 » 2019-07-04 16:02

Ah, I called the host, FatCow, which is pretty good, I think. A person there said the problem isn't with them, but rather it's that my site address is http rather than https. I'd considered upgrading, but have hesitated on three counts. First, I don't conduct e-commerce, so people aren't sharing sensitive data with me. Second, I'd of course have to learn how to do so. Last, I fear that links and bookmarks from others will be broken and I'll lose traffic.

Anyway, I'll certainly consider it. A shame, though, that the obvious solutions of (a) checking the box and (b) "if available" rather than "required" don't make the pop-up go away. Oh, well.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2019-07-04 18:42

I call bullshit, they do not tell the truth. The website is served over HTTP (webserver), the FTP is served by an FTP server. Both are completely independent, you can have an HTTP website but maintain the site using FTP over TLS. Your login data (for maintaining your website over FTP) are at stake, even if visitors do not share sensitive data. Additionally, HTTPS is quickly becoming the normal case, many browsers already warn about unprotected sites.

If you use the "Use only plain FTP (insecure), there is no popup. Using that setting for the server doesn't make any difference, as the server does not support FTP over TLS. In other words, using the Plain option for that server does not make you any more insecure as you already are.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

jhaber3
550 File not found

#6 Post by jhaber3 » 2019-07-04 19:39

That's helpful, thanks!

jhaber3
550 File not found

#7 Post by jhaber3 » 2019-07-04 20:07

May I update things? We'll call it if not a success, at least now a meeting of minds. This time, when I called FatCow, I described the earlier support call and said that the tech person was in error. The new person immediately agreed, saying that the problem had nothing to do with my domain.

She then went off for a bit to look up their records. She came back suggesting that, yes, I switch to the insecure default in FileZilla, because ftp.fatcow.com does not support FTP over TLS. I demurred initially, saying that of course this is insecure, so surely they must have an alternative. She said that they did not at present -- and that I was not the first client to ask them to upgrade their systems to support a more secure transfer. I asked to add my voice to that, and she agreed immediately.

So we're done for today. Meanwhile, I do understand that it wouldn't be a bad thing to learn how to upgrade my Web site as well. Live and learn.