define filezilla.xml for all & keep others sett. in prof

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

mnpg
500 Command not understood

define filezilla.xml for all & keep others sett. in prof

#1 Post by mnpg » 2007-11-05 00:19

hi all,

i have a problem with the new version of filezilla.

I want to define default settings for all users (filezilla.xml) -exemple: same language, manage check update..- AND keep the others settings (filters, layout, queue and sitemanager.xml) in the users 's profile.

Is it possible? is fzdefaults.xml can do this thing?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2007-11-05 13:07

Currently it's all or nothing. You can't assign some settings to the user and make other settings global.

mnpg

#3 Post by mnpg » 2007-11-05 13:39

botg wrote:Currently it's all or nothing. You can't assign some settings to the user and make other settings global.
is it possible to have in a future version the ability to make this possible?

right now the fzdefaults.xml only checkes the location folder, but why not change his possibilities by managing some settings through it -like a all users defaults lock settings file- instead of using users filezilla.xml settings.

paperinik
500 Syntax error

Re: define filezilla.xml for all & keep others sett. in prof

#4 Post by paperinik » 2007-12-03 08:48

Yes, I want and need this feature too.

I want to make a fzdefaults with the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<FileZilla3>
<Settings>
<Setting name="Timeout" type="number">40</Setting>
<Setting name="Preserve timestamps" type="number">1</Setting>
<Setting name="Number of Transfers" type="number">1</Setting>
<Setting name="Language" type="string">German</Setting>
<Setting name="Update Check" type="number">0</Setting>
</Settings>
</FileZilla3>

When will this content work?

MBickel

Re: define filezilla.xml for all & keep others sett. in prof

#5 Post by MBickel » 2009-02-13 16:41

Sorry for reviving a year old thread, but i'm wondering if this feature will ever be implemented?

I actually had a look at the source before posting and it seems not that difficult to do. My idea would be to integrate default options parsing (now in COptions::LoadGlobalDefaultOptions) into COptions::CreateSettingsXmlElement (and probably rename it) so that default values are not determined by the source but by fzdefaults first. For this to work the options array needs to loose the const qualifier, unfortunatly.
The idea here is that t_option.defaultValue gets set from fzdefaults.xml and iff there's no value in fzdefaults.xml then the hardwired defaults take over.

This will probably obsolete the default_options array and associated functions.

Some thought needs to go into saving this options to the configs. Basically i would propose not to create xml nodes for settings set via fzdefaults.xml or just not copy default settings into users setting at all (seems a bit drastic and probably involves more code changes). This way GetXmlValue() calls for values set in fzdefaults will result in a error if the user runs a stock configuration and the default values set in the options array will take over.

I can see concerns about how this will affect expected use of user defined options. But as outlined, the precedence will be like: "filezilla.xml" => "fzdefaults.xml" => "code defaults" so that from a user perspective his config still trumps the admin config.

Maybe there could be a new option to control whether global options take precedence over user options, with it defaulting to "no" to achieve the previous behaviour. But this change is (probably too) invasive.

Benefit: corp admins will love this (i'm in a need to get this behaviour)

If it's needed, i can probably come up with a patch to make this work.

Thanks for your time!