Slow non-responsive filezilla interface

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ktysinger
500 Command not understood
First name: James
Last name: Tysinger

Slow non-responsive filezilla interface

#1 Post by ktysinger » 2019-09-09 05:41

Often when I start an operation with FV, everything is smooth (been using it for over 10 years, maybe 20). However, the interface often hangs, slows up dramatically and becomes non-responsive for 10 - 20 seconds at a time. It seems to be out of memory but my computer has lots of extra memory and CPU horsepower. My computer is definitely not out of resources.

I have cleared the cache and reinstalled. Any other ideas? The problem can exacerbate if I open more than one tab at a time. I'm out of ideas.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Slow non-responsive filezilla interface

#2 Post by botg » 2019-09-09 07:09

What is your operating system?

When it appears unresponsive, does it during that time consume CPU resources, or does it sit idle during that time?

ktysinger

#3 Post by ktysinger » 2019-09-09 16:14

On the advice of a google search, I replaced Win 10 Defender with AVG's plain core product. So far, so good. No, my CPU and memory load were low when FV was non-responsive. I will update if there are additional problems.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2019-09-09 23:05

Windows Defender (and all similar, like SCEP) cause great lags when FileZilla tries to (or asks the OS to) extract icons from the listed files. This is true for all files that have their own icon, like executables. Note this is true for the whole system, but the OS has an icon cache, making it less noticeable.

Maybe @botg could introduce a little compatibility switch ("Don't load system icons"). No idea if that's possible. And no, MS hasn't fixed it, ever, that issue has haunted Defender for many years.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

ktysinger

#5 Post by ktysinger » 2019-09-10 07:57

It's happening again. CPU is at 14%, memory at 44% but the Ethernet usage is off the chart, but nothing is really happening -- no file transfers either. I guess I will look into updating the drivers. Any advice would be appreciated.