Can FZ server allow logins via User X509 certificate?

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

bucknut1
500 Command not understood
First name: Ryan
Last name: C

Can FZ server allow logins via User X509 certificate?

#1 Post by bucknut1 » 2019-09-11 15:52

Hello,

Is is possible to configure FZ server to authenticate users via their user X509 certificate. I am setting up a FZ server which is configure to accept only FTP over TLS. The server already has it public and private keys installed successfully. I am trying to access the server via my browser which has my personal X509 certificate imported.

When I attempt to login, I can see the server receiving the request but my (firefox) browser on the client does nothing. I can see the browser trying to connect (spinning circle in URL window) and I don't get a timeout but I would expect to see a popup requesting that I "Allow" use of my personal certificate on the client to connect to my FZ server.

I do I configure the FZ server to auto login users with personal X509 certificates and log the users access to the server?

Thank you

boco
Contributor

Re: Can FZ server allow logins via User X509 certificate?

#2 Post by boco » 2019-09-12 03:12

Simple answer: You don't.

1. Browsers do NOT support FTP over TLS (FTPS) at all. They only support HTTP over TLS (HTTPS). Even the very basic support for plain FTP in Browsers is about to be removed.
2. FTP and HTTP are independent services and protocols.
3. FileZilla Server does not support client certificates at all. Neither does FileZilla Client.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

bucknut1
500 Command not understood
First name: Ryan
Last name: C

Re: Can FZ server allow logins via User X509 certificate?

#3 Post by bucknut1 » 2019-09-12 13:55

Thank you boco for the reply. I was looking pretty hard for an answer and could not find anything. That explains why. I will look for a different solution.