Suggestion - Upload and Delete

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

OLLI_S
500 Command not understood
First name: Oliver
Last name: Sahr

Suggestion - Upload and Delete

#1 Post by OLLI_S » 2019-11-24 16:19

Hello,

I am regularly uploading files to my personal FTP storage using FileZilla.
Here I upload about 50 files to different target folders (10 files go to folder #1, 3 files to folder #2, 8 files to folder #3 and so on).
And I am using the queue of FileZilla (start the upload process with one click).

After the upload is completed I check if each file is present on the FTP server.
Then I delete it locally.
This means much work.

Please add a feature Upload and Delete locally.
So FileZilla checks if each file was uploaded properly and afterwards it deletes the file locally.

This feature would help me a lot because I just add the files to the queue and then start the upload process.
After the upload is completed, all uploaded files are moved the recycle bin of Windows.

Maybe you also show a little report after the upload (the number of transferred files and the size of the transferred files).

Best regards

OLLI

boco
Contributor

Re: Suggestion - Upload and Delete

#2 Post by boco » 2019-11-24 22:52

So FileZilla checks if each file was uploaded properly and afterwards it deletes the file locally.
And there lies the big, fat, number 1 problem of FTP - FileZilla cannot verify if the file was uploaded properly. Having the proper size (not working for ASCII, anyway) and proper time stamp (not every server supports this) does NOT mean a correct upload!

You need to make sure the files were uploaded properly, by checking locally on the server machine, or by re-downloading + re-checking them. Only then, the local files should be deleted.

Up to this day, FTP still has NO official way to calculate and verify checksums. Thus, "upload and delete locally", and "download and delete on the server" (="moving") will not be supported. Maybe one day, if the HASH command is finally finalized...
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

OLLI_S
500 Command not understood
First name: Oliver
Last name: Sahr

Re: Suggestion - Upload and Delete

#3 Post by OLLI_S » 2019-11-25 08:00

Hello boco,

I did not know that FTP has these limitations (I am just a user of FileZilla).
What about implementing "move" without the checksum/verification and showing a warning instead that explains the limitations of FTP.
You already have the tab where you show all files that have been transferred successfully.
It would be very helpful when I can move the files and don't have to delete them manually.

Best regards

OLLI