Moderator: Project members

pauldotmac
500 Command not understood
First name: Paul
Last name: McMahon

FileZilla just hangs midway through download

#1 Post by pauldotmac » 2020-03-17 14:20

Hi,
I've been using FileZilla for a number of years without too many problems but since the last update I can log on to my server, make the connection, navigate to the folders of issue and start the download process. If there aren't too many subdirectories the download will proceed but, it seems to me anyway, that if there are too many subdirectories - and I don't know how many - the process will start and then stop for some reason, with no error message. I'm using Win10, recently upgraded from win7 - don't think I've used FileZilla since the upgrade but not certain and the latest verion of FileZilla 3.47.2.1. I'm trying to download a Wordpress site from Siteground. In the past when I wanted to download a whole site, I selected the download location and then selected the home directory of the webiste, clicked download and then went and made a cup of tea (I am British), now it just stops after a while at some random position. I've found if I do it directory by directory I can make a lot of progress but sometimes the download seession just refuses to start - FileZilla builds a list of files to queue and then does nothing. Last year I transferred a site with over 85,000 files, overnight using FileZilla under win7 and when I woke up it was done, I couldn't do that now. I have set the timeout to 0.
Thanks
Paul

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla just hangs midway through download

#2 Post by botg » 2020-03-17 16:40

Try setting a non-zero timeout.

pauldotmac

#3 Post by pauldotmac » 2020-03-17 17:09

Hi, It was originally set to 60 when the problems started and I got the following repeat notification in the FileZilla log panel:

Response: 220-#########################################################
Response: 220-Please upload your web files to the public_html directory.
Response: 220-Note that letters are case sensitive.
Response: 220 This is a private system - No anonymous login
Error: Connection timed out after 60 seconds of inactivity
Error: File transfer failed
Response: 220-Please upload your web files to the public_html directory.
Response: 220-Note that letters are case sensitive.
Response: 220 This is a private system - No anonymous login
Error: File transfer failed
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Siteground responded with
As afar as I am able to see the error which you are receiving is:
I checked our servers logs and it seems that a delay is indeed the reason for the issue:

Hunting round I found a recommendation - possibly here - to try setting it to zero, but as you can see it hasn't resolved the problem.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2020-03-19 08:29

The most common cause for stalling connections is faulty NAT routers and stateful firewalls that mindlessly drop perfectly good and healthy connections, without informing both peers. If that happens, the peers still think the connection is all good and wait for the other side to send data, which will never happen since the connection is gone. This is what timeouts are for, they let you detect that this has happend. If you disable timeouts, the client will instead wait until the end of time.

All firewalls and NAT routers involved need to be either configured to not drop connections that have been idle for less than 2 hours and 4 minutes as per REQ-5 from RFC 5382, or alternatively thrown out and replaced with ones that can be configured accordingly.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2020-03-19 08:55

botg wrote:If you disable timeouts, the client will instead wait until the end of time.
Or until the heat death of the universe, or the overflow of UNIX 64bit time. Whatever comes latest.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

pauldotmac

#6 Post by pauldotmac » 2020-03-19 09:18

Hi,

I do understand about timeouts and I don't leave it sitting there for hours on end hoping that it will suddenly burst into life, so I've set it 90 seconds. I've resorted to downloading a section of the website at a time. If there is only a few hundred or so files, it wizzes through them. If the queue builds up over a 1000 or so then it will suddenly stop for no apparent reason. Having said that a queue I abandoned last night with over 1800 files in it is downloading as we speak - fingers crossed. Normally restarting a queue within a few minutes of it stopping doesn't do anything.

Could it simply be that the network is being overloaded?

I didn't post all the response from the Tech help

"As afar as I am able to see the error which you are receiving is:
I checked our servers logs and it seems that a delay is indeed the reason for the issue:

I would suggest making sure that you increase the timeout of your FTP client as well."

I will wait and see as the day progresses.

Thanks

Paul