Themes and background color

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

pedro1
500 Command not understood
First name: pedro
Last name: murales

Themes and background color

#1 Post by pedro1 » 2015-12-08 19:28

Are there any themes which include a different background color other than white ?

Do you think an option for selecting a main panel background color might be added in a future upgrade ?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Themes and background color

#2 Post by botg » 2015-12-09 08:00

FileZilla uses the colors from your operating system's theme. Change your operating system to use e.g. a dark background color, then FileZilla will too.

coolots
First name: Coolot
Last name: skie

#3 Post by coolots » 2020-04-11 14:50

Hello,
is there any way I could change the background color of the message log and transfer queues?
I want to use dark mode, but there's no option in theme, only icon can be changed. please help!
Thanks

IFireflyl
First name: Adam
Last name: Hayes

#4 Post by IFireflyl » 2020-04-22 22:10

botg wrote:
2015-12-09 08:00
FileZilla uses the colors from your operating system's theme. Change your operating system to use e.g. a dark background color, then FileZilla will too.
Or you could actually implement a dark mode/theme into the program itself instead of relying on the OS to do your job for you. I've found a dozen different topics like this where you have rattled off the same idiotic response for (literally) years. Why should people ever choose FileZilla with someone as condescending as you running the show?

Quit being lazy and add a dark mode or theme support already. It's not for "eye candy". It's to prevent eye strain. If you don't see how that's a helpful and/or necessary reason to support a dark mode/theme then you're not only rude, but you're also incompetent. It's 2020. This is basic knowledge at this point, and has been for quite some time. Stop fighting with everyone and make the change to your program.

Also, it's not the OS's job to handle theming for programs. That's 100% on the developer to say how it wants to handle the theming. You can say that Microsoft has a crappy way of doing themes, but that doesn't somehow mean that you don't have to put any effort into the theme yourself. Microsoft didn't make the OS with FileZilla's best interests at heart. That's why all the other programs people have mentioned the last couple of years put the effort into putting a dark mode or theme in their program. You chose to release and develop on the Windows platform. That means you're responsible for how the program looks/feels/acts. Not Microsoft.

FionNoir
First name: Fion
Last name: Noir

#5 Post by FionNoir » 2020-10-05 09:26

I have also created an account just to contribute to this topic.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the previous speakers. The UI of the FileZilla Client is in need of a major upgrade. Even apart from the dark mode the UI is simply outdated, so I would be very happy about a redesign. I would even do it myself and for free, but I'm software-wise only on the web and don't have time to learn the GUI of Filezilla. I would also pay/donate to give FileZilla a modern GUI

Good UI design has nothing to do with "Eye Candy". UI design is about functionality and user experience. UI design is also the basis of personalization and accessibility. If your developers see this as an unnecessary feature, then I'm afraid the project is beyond help.

Macadamia
First name: Teva
Last name: Macadamia

#6 Post by Macadamia » 2020-11-01 06:27

I also registered to say some words about this issue.

In some ways I understand why you (the author) are annoyed with Windows. But please understand that your user base is not responsible for Microsoft design choices.
And please don't get offended when they throw their frustration at you.

You need to realize that if they do, it actually means they love your program, so that all the effort you put into this was indeed appreciated.
Why would you want to push away people who are already convinced FileZilla is a great program just to punish them for using Windows?

Please reconsider your position on the subject, and trust me you will make a lot of people happy and willing to support your hard work.

After all you first made FileZilla to help others, and as you need to earn a reward for this, the dark (not high contrast !) theme would make more fans want to support you with buying the Pro version.

I will also switch to WinSCP. Not because I think it is better than FileZilla, but because my eyes do matter more to me than most other fancy or "toy" features :P .

And I swear, as soon as you make the effort to implement a dark theme option, like many others I will love to use FileZilla again, because that is an amazing piece of software.

Take care.

jhob101
First name: John
Last name: Hobson

#7 Post by jhob101 » 2021-01-22 12:01

I would also like to add my voice to the calls for a dark mode. As someone who spends 8+ hours a day at a computer and wears high-magnification glasses specifically for computer work I do find that dark mode helps to reduce eye-strain.

All of my commonly used apps support dark mode and it would be great if FileZilla could also support this.

Diomeh
First name: David
Last name: Urbina

#8 Post by Diomeh » 2022-07-26 21:22

I also created an account to comment on this same issue.

I'm using FileZilla in linux with a global dark theme and the UI is completely unusable. Specially when using synchronized browsing and directory comparison, color contrast is awful and server files are completely unreadable. It is also impossible to distinguish the text of the bottom bar tabs

It's amazing (and infuriating too) how poor you guys have given support to usability
ZM9UXcM - Imgur.png
ZM9UXcM - Imgur.png (247.46 KiB) Viewed 4760 times

csmalex
First name: Alex

#9 Post by csmalex » 2023-01-19 14:16

Agreed on my Mac OS I can no longer see the filenames. Is there no way to revert this dark theme?