If I can't shrink window size can I roll back to a previous Filezilla version - Fixed

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

HenryELenz
504 Command not implemented
First name: Henry
Last name: Lenz

If I can't shrink window size can I roll back to a previous Filezilla version - Fixed

#1 Post by HenryELenz » 2020-03-13 15:16

As of a couple of updates ago, the Filezilla window will not allow you to shrink the width to a quarter of the screen.

It now takes up well over a third of the screen at it's minimum size. Being able to shrink it down to a quarter of the width made it very useful for the large number of files I have to process. It allowed me to have Filezilla and several other windows viewable at the same time.

By taking away the ability to make the window more narrow, you have made it so cumbersome (because of all the switching back and forth between windows I now have to do) that the tasks that used to only take an hour, now take well over two hours to complete. By this 'simple' move you have turned a fast convenient program into a slow, cumbersome ordeal to use. This one change has more than doubled the amount of processing time it takes me to work on files and frankly smacks of something Microsoft would do. Considering that I have to deal with tens of thousands of files, doubling the processing time stinks.

Why have you taken away this convenient feature? I saw the comment that if you shrink it down too far, it won't work. If someone shrinks it down to where it can't be used, then they will open the window back up to where it works - so why disable the ability to shrink the width? Frankly, it worked GREAT at a quarter of the width of the monitor screen. Now, at over a third of the available screen size, it is no longer the usefull program you had before.

Is there a way to roll back to a previous version for Filezilla? Frankly, the 'new and improved' version is inferior to the old one when it comes to ease of use. Had I realized you were going to take away a very convenient feature I would not have updated as the updates didn't apply to the work I was doing.

Thank you.
Last edited by HenryELenz on 2020-04-26 03:05, edited 2 times in total.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: If I can't shrink window size can I roll back to a previous Filezilla version

#2 Post by botg » 2020-03-13 16:43

This is intentional, FileZilla is unusable if resized too small.

HenryELenz

Re: If I can't shrink window size can I roll back to a previous Filezilla version

#3 Post by HenryELenz » 2020-03-13 19:40

I understand that but it worked GREAT at a quarter of the screen width. And if someone drags it down to the point it is unuseable, they can just drag it larger until it is useable.

This has more than doubled the time it takes me to get through files because of all the window switching I have to do now.

Why take away a user control that was so convenient? When I searched, the last post about a problem with size was when someone dragged a column too far down in size in 2018 - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50073&p=166220&hili ... ll#p166220

Having the Filezilla window too narrow doesn't seem to an issue people are having. Please consider reinstating that very, very convenient feature.

Thank you.

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2020-03-16 08:27

You can comfortably fit two windows next to each other even on an entry-level full-HD screen, with plenty room to spare.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2020-03-16 22:18

Just tested, on my UHD screen I can fit 5 FileZilla windows next to each other, at minimum width.

What DPI size do we speak about, here? If at 125%, 150% or even higher, the OS scales the windows up and they require more space. That's by design.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

HenryELenz

#6 Post by HenryELenz » 2020-03-17 18:48

Fitting two windows side by side does me no good since I need four open windows at a minimum - two Filezilla and two work-in-progress folders, to make the workload go smooth. As it is, the workload has been taking me MORE than twice as long to deal with because of all the flipping back and forth between the windows.

With no idea of what size UHD screen you have, there is no way for me to respond about the five instances you have open. I am not opening Filezilla through the browser so the resolution is whatever the automatic native resolution the monitor got set at when I used the auto adjust. There is no magnification (scale up) of the window size. It is merely at 100% - no larger.

I am using a 40 inch Sony LCD set as a monitor, and used the auto adjust feature on it to optimize the screen resolution.

Again, since adjusting to a smaller size Filezilla window for a specific task was not something that seemed to be causing problems, why not simply give that control back to the users so they can optimize it to suit their personal needs?

This was not a feature that was broken, so why 'fix' it?

Is there a way to roll back Filezilla to an earlier version -- before this 'fix'?

Thank you

HenryELenz

Re: If I can't shrink window size can I roll back to a previous Filezilla version -- Fixed

#7 Post by HenryELenz » 2020-04-26 02:54

Because the window size of the latest update caused my work progress to be cut in half, I finally just removed Filezilla version 3.47.2.1 from my computer altogether.

In it's place, I installed an older version I had in my download archive. (3.41.2) Since I never received a response to my question about rolling back to an older version, I decided to give it a try anyway.

It is working GREAT. I can now shrink the Filezilla window down to a quarter of the screen. My work progress is now back to normal levels -- literally TWICE as fast because I can have two instances of Filezilla on the screen and still have two other folder windows open at the same time.

The value of keeping older versions is not to be under-rated. When the "New and improved" version of something takes away a great feature that winds up cutting your throughput in half, rolling back to an older version can be the best thing to do. Especially when you ask for a feature to be restored and you get turned down because someone else "knows" what you need better than you do and refuses to put back a feature they took away.

botg
Site Admin

Re: If I can't shrink window size can I roll back to a previous Filezilla version - Fixed

#8 Post by botg » 2020-04-27 08:32

You can use tabs inside FileZilla as an alternative to starting it multiple times.

HenryELenz

Re: If I can't shrink window size can I roll back to a previous Filezilla version - Fixed

#9 Post by HenryELenz » 2020-04-27 21:38

While I must have missed the information about tabs within Filezilla, they really don't help with the work I am doing since I would still have to flip back and forth between tabs. If you could arrange the window in such a way that the contents of both tabs were visible at the same time in side by side columns, that would make it much more versatile and useful.

Actually, that might even elimate the need to have two instances of Filezilla running at the same time.

While the Filezilla window does have the left column showing a locaL folder, it doesn't help much as I have to sometimes open a file to look at it and if I doubleclick on one of those in the Filezilla window it starts to upload instead of opening locally.

For my work I need to be able to look back and forth without having to constantly flip between windows and tabs. I need two instances of Filezilla currently because I have to compare the contents in various locations and that is not at all easy when you have to flip back and forth. Being open side by side makes comparisons very easy. Esecially when I also have to check two other folders at the same time.

Having two Filezilla windows and two folders open allows me to proceed at a great pace because I can easily look back and forth to see what I have without any extra steps. As I mentioned, now that I have rolled back to that previous version, my throughput is back to what it was -- literally twice the speed I was able to accomplish when the Filezilla window took up over a third of the screen.

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2020-04-28 15:13

While the Filezilla window does have the left column showing a locaL folder, it doesn't help much as I have to sometimes open a file to look at it and if I doubleclick on one of those in the Filezilla window it starts to upload instead of opening locally.
You can change that in the interface settings.

HenryELenz

#11 Post by HenryELenz » 2020-04-29 06:36

I think I am going to re-read the How To information again.

I apparently missed more than I realized. :shock:

Thanks 8)

boco
Contributor

#12 Post by boco » 2020-04-29 16:53

HenryELenz

#13 Post by HenryELenz » 2020-04-30 20:40

Thanks for posting that image, boco. :D

That is a great help. It may be a couple of days before I get the chance to try it, but I will post when I do.

SkaterStan
500 Command not understood
First name: Joschka
Last name: Zimdars

#14 Post by SkaterStan » 2020-06-06 17:03

Just like him, I'm very annoyed by the increased minimum width of the window. So the only reason for that is, that some functions are not visible in the smaller window? I don't need those functions and I want a smaller window. Aren't there many users like me?