Install location not accessible--in any way

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

rokosz
500 Command not understood

Install location not accessible--in any way

#1 Post by rokosz » 2020-05-25 16:24

Hi, I load FZ maybe once a month. Last week it loaded, and small bumpout said there was a update. Ok, go ahead. Something went awry and the process failed. Now FZ won't load and reattempts at an upgrade fail.
The Details from the aborted install:
Execute: "C:\Program Files\FileZilla FTP Client\uninstall.exe" /frominstall /keepstartmenudir _?=C:\Program Files\FileZilla FTP Client
Cleaning leftover files
Output folder: C:\Program Files\FileZilla FTP Client
Can't write: C:\Program Files\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe

Turns out that existing the filezilla.exe can't be deleted. Can't run with admin rights either. Right click for properties: Security yields: You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. That lack of read permits shuts me, effectively, out of the advanced tab too. I attempted a delete of the program files\filezilla folder but that only removed the docs and resources folder, and left two undeleteable files files: filezilla.exe, fzsftp.exe

Ok, So try the download of the install again. Nope, turns out the (earlier downloaded file) FileZilla_3.48.1_win64_sponsored-setup.exe also can't be deleted/overwritten or manipulated in any way.

I got around all the above (except removing the unneeded original install folder and install module) by downloading via a different name and installing to a non-default folder.
I suppose someone at FZ may see this and learn something. What I'm also hoping for is: Anyone know how to get into the properties of that old folder (and install module) so I can delete them? thanks.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Install location not accessible--in any way

#2 Post by botg » 2020-05-26 08:12

Have you tried rebooting yet? Sometimes Windows refuses to let go of files until the system is rebooted.

boco
Contributor

Re: Install location not accessible--in any way

#3 Post by boco » 2020-05-26 20:48

Sounds like messed up ACLs, or Defender's "Controlled folder access" is enabled.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org