Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

mayo615
500 Command not understood
First name: David
Last name: Mayes

Weather Underground webcam ftp file transfer setup

#1 Post by mayo615 » 2020-07-14 17:28

I am setting up my CHORTAU IP webcam to send images to Weather Underground via Filezilla Server. Can anyone please offer me some advice on the setup. I can probably setup the server without problem, but would appreciate advice on setting up the file transfers to webcam.wunderground.com Thanks in advance.

boco
Contributor

Re: Weather Underground webcam ftp file transfer setup

#2 Post by boco » 2020-07-14 19:13

You won't need any FileZilla product for this (neither Client nor Server). If the WUnderground site offers uploading webcam pics over FTP, you just have to set up the camera so it sends the pictures to the FTP account on their site.

Didn't they give any special instructions for setting up? I'd love to see where they mention that you need an FTP server. Without an account there, I can't check that out.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

mayo615

#3 Post by mayo615 » 2020-07-18 01:08

Thanks boco. Your information is new, and I am all ears. This is what I know so far. With some great difficulty, I got a reply from Wunderground support who do not wish to get involved in webcam configuration issues. I did ask a simple question, "Do I need to set up an FTP server on my PC and point the file transfer to their web address "webcam.wunderground.com." The answer I got was "yes," from WU support tech "Victoria." So I have been proceeding on that basis. I also watched an FTP server setup video that said I also needed to create a static IP address so I can send files externally. I have a business Internet account with a static IP address if needed. I understand that if this is the case I need to careful with security to insure only the FTP file folder is accessible.

I bought a CHORTAU S63S IP webcam. It is set up and working fine internally. The camera has a variety of settings. FTP settings ask for server address (not sure yet. My static IP? WU's address webcam.wunderground.com?), server port (21) User name ???, password (mine or theirs), passive is on, the path is blank.

Weather Underground gave me the following ID info for webcam setup: Server: webcam.wunderground.com, password: NyMo2IN2, directory: blank or /, filename: image.jpg, transfer type: binary. The camera does not ask for a file name or transfer type, so I am flummoxed there.

That is all I know so far. I am doing this on my own and have been learning, but I am at an impasse now.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2020-07-19 04:47

It's a total mess, are the actually any sane people there on WU? If you set up an FTP server on your own PC, you are sending the images to your own PC, and they are stored there. Your own PC must stay up and running 24/7 for this to work. The images will not go to WU's website in any way (how should that work?). Again, running an FTP server on your PC in order to get images to their site is total bullsh*t.

Didn't they provide you with:
- A hostname (FTP server URL), plus maybe a port, and
- A username and password for FTP login (or instruction to use your website login)?
That would be the info you enter into the camera FTP setup. In any case, the FTP server is running on their side. From a short test, webcam.wunderground.com indeed runs an FTP server (although an insecure one). "webcam.wunderground.com" would be the hostname for entering into the camera, for starters.

Code: Select all

06:40:57	Status:	Resolving address of webcam.wunderground.com
06:40:57	Status:	Connecting to 52.37.52.183:21...
06:40:57	Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
06:40:58	Response:	220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
06:40:58	Response:	220-You are user number 410 of 10000 allowed.
06:40:58	Response:	220-Local time is now 04:40. Server port: 21.
06:40:58	Response:	220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
06:40:58	Response:	220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
06:40:58	Command:	AUTH TLS
06:40:58	Response:	500 This security scheme is not implemented
06:40:58	Command:	AUTH SSL
06:40:58	Response:	500 This security scheme is not implemented
06:40:58	Status:	Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS.

mayo615

#5 Post by mayo615 » 2020-07-19 14:31

Thanks again, boco.

I am just trying to find help on this forum to get the webcam connected to WU.

In my previous email I provided all of the information I have on the camera and the WU settings provided to me. The only files being shared are simple .jpg images of local weather.

Can I find help on this forum? 8)

mayo615

#6 Post by mayo615 » 2020-07-21 17:36

Thanks to boco, I have the answer for my Weather Underground webcam setup. There is no need to install a FTP server or client on your PC. Your webcam itself should enable you to enter the WU server information directly. One problem WU provides a web address for their server: webcam.wunderground.com, but you may need to enter in your camera the actual IP address for their server, which boco kindly resolved and shared with me. Once I entered the WU server IP address directly, with my WU UID and password it worked successfully on testing.

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2020-07-21 20:17

Using the PING utility, you can resolve any address by yourself.

ping <host>
Example:

C:\>ping -n 1 webcam.wunderground.com

Pinging webcam.wunderground.com [52.36.136.128] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 52.36.136.128:
    Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),
Although it does not answer pings, the IP is shown in the first line.

For the future...