failures during transfer.

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

mjice
504 Command not implemented

failures during transfer.

#1 Post by mjice » 2020-08-16 06:08

Hello,
I have 2 separate sites, each behind a Livebox, equipped with identical surveillance cameras. On the 1st (A) no problem the alarm recordings are done perfectly well by the FileZilla Server.
It is on the second site (B) where I have a problem, the recording starts but does not succeed: just the name of the file and its extension = empty file which is from 0 bytes to a hundred bytes instead of the expected 2 to 3000 KB.
A comparative examination of the logs of the different servers (A) and (B), after the line
> 150 Opening data channel for file upload to server of "… .."
On the server (B) There are not the 3 lines that should follow after a recording:
> 226 Successfully transferred "… .."
> QUIT
> 221 Goodbye

This before the last 2 lines of the disconnection by the server > QUIT and > disconnected.
On the 2 sites, the cameras have identical settings including those for FTP, the same for the NAT / PAT settings of the 2 liveboxes, as well as for the Window Defender ports of the 2 computers where FileZilla Server is installed, an application also with identical settings. .
FTP adjustment tests of the cameras, either in PASV or ACTIVE, lead to the same problem, and this although the tests from the cameras are "successful" (just a very small difference in PASS mode the files are 0 bytes and in mode ACTIVE ~ 80 bytes).

Configurations:
FileZilla Server 0.9.60 beta
FileZilla Client 3.49.1
PC with Win 10
W Defender Port 20 open, Ports 52000-52999 open
Livebox livebox 4 on site (A) _ livebox 3 on site (B)
PC over static IP and DynDNS with NoIP: xxxxxxxx.ddns.net
NAT / DNS PC / FTP Server TCP 52000-52999
PC / FTP TCP UDP 21
PC / FTP Data TCP 20
Firewall: medium (on custom are registered FTP Server TCP 52000-52999

can I have any suggestions (in French would be a plus!)
thank you

mjice

Re: failures during transfer.

#2 Post by mjice » 2020-08-17 06:26

Details:
Recordings outside, on other FTP servers on the web are ok
The problem is with recordings in the computer where FileZilla Server is installed (regardless of the drive where the recording is targeted)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2020-08-17 06:39

Please post a complete and unmodified log, if possible not just from the server but also the client.

mjice

#4 Post by mjice » 2020-08-17 15:53

thank you botg for making contact,
in return the desired log files + some screen print
Best regards

Chronology of operations
15h31 activation de FileZilla Server (site B)
15h32 23 test du réglage de la caméra en mode PASV
15h33 10 test du réglage de la caméra en mode PORT
15h35 20 connexion en local (B) par FileZilla Client
----------------et ouverture dossier, sous dossiers
----------------déconnection automatique par le serveur à 15h37 31
15h48 28 alarme envoyée par la caméra
---------------déconnection à 15h49 19 sans avoir enregistré le contenu du fichier *.mkv
15h57 52 connexion à distance par FileZilla Client (depuis le site A)
---------------et ouverture dossier, sous dossiers
---------------déconnection automatique par le serveur à 16h00 01
16h06 07 alarme envoyée par la caméra
---------------déconnection à 16h06 58 sans avoir enregistré le contenu du fichier *.mkv
16h07 02 alarme envoyée par la caméra
---------------déconnection à 16h08 06 sans avoir enregistré le contenu du fichier *.mkv
16h11 46 connexion en local (A) par FileZilla Client
---------------déconnection manuelle à 16h12 18
16h13 43 connexion à distance par FileZilla Client (depuis le site A)
---------------déconnection manuelle à 16h13 59

Fichiers joints :
- FileZilla Server en local (B).docx journal
- FileZilla Client en local (B).docx journal
- FileZilla Client externe (A).docx journal du site A
- caméra réglage ftp .JPG
- caméra log.JPG
- alarme 1 mkv à154827.JPG
- alarme 2 mkv à 160606.JPG
Attachments
alarme 2 mkv à 160606.JPG
alarme 2 mkv à 160606.JPG (212.86 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
alarme 1 mkv à154827.JPG
alarme 1 mkv à154827.JPG (218.28 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
caméra log.JPG
caméra log.JPG (283.79 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
caméra réglage ftp .JPG
caméra réglage ftp .JPG (228.3 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
FileZilla Client externe (A).rtf
(33.94 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
FileZilla Client en local (B).rtf
(32.71 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
FileZilla Server en local (B).rtf
(99.87 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

botg
Site Admin

#5 Post by botg » 2020-08-17 21:26

According to the logs, there's no actual failure, the client aborts the transfer for unknown reasons.

A note about network topology: If the client is in the same local network as the server, use the server's private IP address to connect instead.

mjice

#6 Post by mjice » 2020-08-18 06:13

I did try by informing the camera of the FilleZilla Server FTP either the ftp: // localhost or the ftp://127.0.0.1.
The test is "Failed" and furthermore does not write anything to the Server log.
Likewise, an alarm does not write anything to the server log or create a file in the specified folder.

As I have already noted, the problem is exclusively local (site B). The tests made to 2 other external servers are all OK and the files saved correctly. This regardless of the camera.
While the same installations and same settings on another site (A) work fine.

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2020-08-18 06:59

That's wrong, localhost or 127.0.0.1 (or ::1) point to the very same device. You essentially attempt to connect the camera to itself. Won't work.

Private IP means the one that the devices inside your LAN get from the router. Often starts with 192.168. or 10.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

mjice

#8 Post by mjice » 2020-08-20 14:02

I repeat my problem by describing only the case of the site (B) where the failures take place.

A__ The recording of alarm videos from the site's cameras has failed only locally: cameras configured to send to the address of FileZilla Server installed on the local site itself, whether by its NoIP ftp: // xxxx address .ddns.net, or its local address ftp: // localhost or ftp://127.0.0.1.
_ On ftp://xxxx.ddns.net (1) the response to the test on the cameras is ".. Success" BUT when an alarm is triggered, the recording starts and then fails (see FileZilla Server log) ( cf. beginning of my initial message).
(1) The passive mode box of the server, checked or not, to "do not use an external IP address for local connections"
_ On ftp: // localhost or ftp://127.0.0.1 the test on the cameras is "... failed" with no trace on log server, let alone no alarm recording initiation. (on this point the response of "Boco" is totally inappropriate!)

B__ On the other hand, the same cameras configured to send to addresses of external servers on the web: work well.

I reset the cameras, the problem is not with them (by the way, the identical ones work perfectly on site (A).
I completely uninstalled FileZilla Server including the settings files and files in // Roaming / then CCleaner cleanup, then reinstalled. _ Note that in Regedit, once the uninstallation is done, many files relating to FileZilla Server cannot be modified or deleted!? _
I restarted the Livebox, computer, etc etc ...
: nothing works.
Attachments
WEB.jpg
WEB.jpg (315.3 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
local8.jpg
local8.jpg (345.22 KiB) Viewed 4111 times

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2020-08-20 20:56

_ On ftp: // localhost or ftp://127.0.0.1 the test on the cameras is "... failed" with no trace on log server, let alone no alarm recording initiation. (on this point the response of "Boco" is totally inappropriate!)
Please start by doing your homework and educate yourself what "localhost" actually means. If you use "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" (or [::1] for IPv6) in your camera setup and press Test, the camera attempts to connect to itself and not to the FTP server. That's why there is no trace in the FTP server log.
Running and maintaining an FTP server safely is unfortunately not as easy as using an FTP client. It actually requires and expects a certain level of knowledge on networks and their operation. It is not "Set it and forget it", but you need to constantly monitor it to ensure its safe and proper operation.

That being said, why do you use Active (PORT) mode? It is extremely firewall unfriendly and requires forwarding data ports on the client side, for every client. The recommended Passive (PASV) mode requires forwarding data ports only at the server side, and that works with all clients out of the box.

The A location is either 1. correctly configured (data ports forwarded/opened) or 2. has a router mapping ports automatically. You seem to use only unencrypted FTP, so that might work for you with PORT mode (where the server connects back to the client).

The B location is not correctly configured (in the 1. case), the data ports are closed or blocked.
In the 2. case, the router at location B does no automatic mapping of data ports (actually the correct behavior) and the back connection fails.

Recommendation:
1. Read the Network Configuration guide, configure FileZilla Server for correct Passive Mode operation. Use the https://ftptest.net site for checking. Once the test succeeds, move on to 2.
2. Set the cameras to Passive (PASV) mode, so there are only outgoing connection on the client side. This requires no further connection there.
3. Provided there is no malicious router of firewall still interfering, both locations should now work fine.
4. If there is any way to set the cameras up for FTPS, do that. Much safer and tamper-proof. FileZilla Server only needs a certificate (can be self-signed) configured and will be able to accept FTPS connections.

mjice

#10 Post by mjice » 2020-08-21 05:47

Thank you Boco for your response.
Ok for localhost, it was just testing.
Indeed, I did my last tests with PORT set, but as I mentioned in my initial post, I had already tested on both modes and both PORT and PASV failed.
As I also explained, I have in another place, the same identically configured cameras where the local recordings are OK. The only difference is the model of Livebox (router Internet provider Orange) which is an older model on the site where the failures take place. Which might correspond to your assumption that the router in location B does not do automatic data port mapping. In the near future I will try to have the Livebox replaced by my internet provider.
Regarding FTPS my cameras do not allow it.
I will only be able to resume my tests in a few days, as the overnight thunderstorms have knocked out the FileZilla Server support computer.
In relation to this, which would be another topic, why it seems impossible to use FileZilla Server on a new computer in the same local network (of course only one computer on and only one server running)? What to do when replacing the computer? Because I would assume given my attempts, that it is the router which does not redirect to the new computer.
Best regards.

botg
Site Admin

#11 Post by botg » 2020-08-21 07:24

You obviously need to change your router configuration if you want to forward the ports to a different machine.

boco
Contributor

#12 Post by boco » 2020-08-21 08:39

You can run as many FTP servers in your local network as you wish. But, if they should be accessible from the outside, they cannot use the same port.

Example:
Run FTP server 1 on port 21, server 2 on port 2100 and server 3 on port 2101. That will work as you can forward the three mentioned ports to different machines. However, you cannot run all three on the port 21 as that would be ambiguous, impossible to forward the same port to different machines.