Flezilla Data diretoy

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

toloux
500 Command not understood
First name: Yerwan
Last name: Uztezti

Flezilla Data diretoy

#1 Post by toloux » 2020-12-03 02:10

I am using FileZilla 3.46.3, compiled on 2020-02-08 on Linux Mint.
I need to set up filezilla data directory to a location different from /home/<user>/.config/filezilla .

Setting up environment variable FZ_DATADIR has no effect, and specifying --data-directory=... on command line is rejected with Unknown long option 'datadirectory'"
Any sggestions?
TIA

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Flezilla Data diretoy

#2 Post by botg » 2020-12-03 08:58

You need to update to the most recent version of FileZilla.

FileZilla implements the XDG Base Directory Specification to locate various directories.

toloux

#3 Post by toloux » 2020-12-03 12:14

Thanks for your help.

I am perfectly happy with the version I am using. What can I do to have the program I have on my computer store my data in the directory of my choosing?

"man" on FileZilla i have on my computer, presumably matching the executable on my computer explicitly states:
The FZ_DATADIR environment variable can be used to specify the directory containing FileZilla's data files...

Command line parameter would be even better.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2020-12-03 13:31

I am perfectly happy with the version I am using.
Maybe, but we aren't. Only the latest version is supported (3.51.0 ATM), provided it is not a repository (package manager) version.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

toloux

#5 Post by toloux » 2020-12-03 16:55

Maybe, but we aren't.
I don't know who is "we", bit that makes little difference, since it is my computer, and I maintain the hardware and software on it. And FileZilla on it is coming from the repository.

But anyways, can I respectfully suggest we get back on topic: what, short of symlinking, can I do with this version of this program in order to store my data in a directory of my choosing?

Specifically, if this version of FileZilla parses XDG_DATA_DIRS, what do I add to its list of directories if I want my sitemanager.xml file stored in (for instance) /home/somedir/filezilla/ directoy?

TIA, Yerwan

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2020-12-04 18:56

Sorry, we can only support the most recent version of FileZilla.

toloux

#7 Post by toloux » 2020-12-05 15:14

Sorry, we can only support the most recent version of FileZilla.
Fair enough; your product, your rules.
(Although, I was not expecting support from developers, I was expecting a suggestion from a fellow user. Isn't that, by far, the most common MO of forums such as this one?).

With that, may i rephrase the question...:

Right now I use an older version of FileZilla, the one that happens to be in the current repository of one of the most popular Linux distros.

FileZilla stores my data entered in program's Site Manager in a directory manufactured by appending $HOME with ".config/filezilla/" and ".putty/". In order to have this data written to a different place in my file hierarchy, I must execute the program in a transient shell with the $HOME environment variable pointing to the directory of my choice, e.g., ... $HOME=/home/userxyx_portable/filezilla ...

So the question is: when I (or repository maintainer) change the program version to the most recent one, should I expect the same behaviour?

Some concluding remarks:
1) All application developers would like all their users to "upgrade" to their most recent version the day after it has been published. This is a highly naive expectation.
2) Forcing a user to jump through the hoops in order to have his or her data written in a directory of their choice is not exactly a pinnacle of software engineering.
3) I do have a sincere admiration for application developers that make their product available on all three major personal computer OS-es.

Yerwan